Qualified alerts for door sensors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Qualified alerts for door sensors

I'd like to reinforce the earlier requests for a way to qualify the alerts from these senors. In most cases, it does not make sense to have the alerts turned on during a regular, family day as I am inundated with emails/texts every time the door is opened.

But when not at home, or at night, it would be nice to see activity without needing to reset the alert status each time.

Alternative suggestions would be a log file that records the status changes that could be reviewed periodically, or an alternate email address that could be used only by these devices.

+1, totally agree.

Comment

Totally agree! Would love option to set time of day, on/of for notifications. Or better yet, configuration profiles we could set, like "Night time-Only", "Vacation", etc. I too am getting slammed with messages during a normal day where my wife, 5 kids and 2 grandchildren are always coming in and out of the house. It would be nice to have options for when to send messages.

Comment

That can be accomplished using a HouseLinc event.
        Message from Forum Admin: stusviews passed away in April 2018. Stu was a huge fan of Insteon and a huge presence on both the Smarthome and Insteon forums, helping thousands of us along the way (he had nearly 20,000 posts to his name). We thank him for his contributions, dedication, and passion for making the Smart Home a reality. He will truly be missed.
        Saving energy is not always free. Be a world saver.

Comment

Agreed Stu. But my whole reason for going with a Hub was to eliminate the need for a dedicated pc to manage the household. While I run and use HouseLinc, it is on a laptop that often travels with me. I want to house to still be managed when I am gone.

Another option I've considered is to have the alerts go to a dummy mainbox that can execute rules upon reciept of a message. I could then have the email server only forward the messages during a certain time window.

Comment

+1 on this feature. Have a sleep walking kid and really only want door alerts to be TXT to my phone with special ring tone to alert me. I don't need to know when my wife it going out to get groceries and when my kids / neighbor kids come and go thru out the day. Thought the Hub was going to let me do this, but afraid I'll need to look at more complex setups. Even if you could put all the door sensors in a scene and turn on the alerts on/off at once with a click of a button would help, but scheduling them would be ideal.

Comment

Let me add to the request chain. While it can now be done by going to the sensor device (Settings>Devices>Sensor), that is way to slow and awkward. A time schedule and simple switch. Tap the sensor and you now get an updated status. Add the on/off button there and use the Schedules page for setting the email times.

Comment

Yes! This was a request from when the very first door sensors were in Beta. The conditional options that would make the door sensor's notifications more useful for a lot of folks can quickly get complex (personally, my ideal would be to only get notified when I'm not at home). Coming up with a solution that would work in a variety of situations and is also in line with the Hub's easy-to-use personality is probably proving tricky.

But in the meantime, simple time of day rules seem like a good place to start.

Comment

I totally second this thread. I was actually trying to set up a sort of silent alert system where both door sensors and motion sensors when triggered would send an email/SMS and activate all lights. This of course makes sense only if the scene can have a day of the week activation schedule, something like between 11 pm and 5 am all week and 9 am to 5pm week days, otherwise like you are all saying I would just keep getting false alerts and flashing lights. I only bought one each of these devices to test it out and until there is this, relatively simple to do, software enhancements I will not purchase the rest and enable the whole house.

Comment

Thanks for the info, do you know if the new Insteon Hub Pro will do the same?

Comment

Working...
                    X