2633-522 partial power

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2633-522 partial power

Have an odd one. Out of the blue all my plug in on off modules have stopped supplying full voltage. Only letting about 50V through when checking with a multimeter.
    All my other kit works fine.
    I am an electrician and have tested everything and all seems fine.
    Ideas????

Are you measuring the output voltage with a load on the module?
    If you are using a high input impedance meter and no load. It could be giving you a false reading.

I don't know if the module has local control sensing. I don't think so but if it does. That can cause a false reading with no load and a meter alone.
    So could a snubber across the output relays contacts. If it has one.

Comment

You may want to try a factory reset.
      Message from Forum Admin: stusviews passed away in April 2018. Stu was a huge fan of Insteon and a huge presence on both the Smarthome and Insteon forums, helping thousands of us along the way (he had nearly 20,000 posts to his name). We thank him for his contributions, dedication, and passion for making the Smart Home a reality. He will truly be missed.
      Saving energy is not always free. Be a world saver.

Comment

Hi all and thanks for your feedback.
        As an update I have had the units replaced and done some more testing. What I have found is that out of the box everything works fine on small power loads of a few watts up to about 500-600 watts. When connected to a load greater that 1000watts then units fail and stay failed at a lower load.
        The units are rated at 2400Watts here in NZ.

Comment

That depends on the type of load, most especially if the load is inductive.
          Message from Forum Admin: stusviews passed away in April 2018. Stu was a huge fan of Insteon and a huge presence on both the Smarthome and Insteon forums, helping thousands of us along the way (he had nearly 20,000 posts to his name). We thank him for his contributions, dedication, and passion for making the Smart Home a reality. He will truly be missed.

Comment

Have assume the rating was True not Apparent power. It is a purely resistive load, so no lead or lag to cause power factor issues.

Comment

Sorry, just picked up your other advice stusviews , thanks heaps.
              Would you mind pointing me in the direction of the info to perform the Factory Reset you mentioned.
              Really appreciate your engagement and assistance. Thanks.

Comment

http://cache-m2.smarthome.com/manuals/2633-x22.pdf

Comment

You rock stusviews
                  Thanks heaps.

Comment

Where you able to measure the AC voltage with the load attached or was the 50 volts on the load after failure?

I see in the Full Users Manual that the 2633-522 for AUS/NZ is rated at 10 amps not the 16 amps the other versions show.
                    Incandescent and halogen bulbs have a lower total wattage rating. probably the short inrush current of the bulbs at turn on.

The manual and sales pages don't mention it. I have seen some automation modules having a fuse in the output. To meet local certifications.
                    Last edited by BLH; 06-11-2016, 09:44 AM.

Comment

Hi BLH
                      Testing was done at no load. New unit when on had 230V. Then plugged in small load and unit worked fine. Tested voltage was 230V. Then plugged in 2000W load and unit showed on (green light) but heater not turning on. Checked voltage with heater unplugged, now only showing 50V. Unit showing on label as rated at 2400W or 10A. I am trying to connect approx 8A resistive load.
                      Have had a look inside, no fuses. Have yet to try factory reset as I ran out of time yesterday.
                      Thanks for your post and feedback. At a loss as to why the units do not perform to spec. Have logged case with Insteon a couple of days ago, awaiting response.

Comment

Contacting the Insteon Customer Support sounds like a good step in troubleshooting the issue. I will be interested in what they may say.

Reason I had asked if there was a load on the output when reading the voltage. I have seen meters give false readings back through internal electronics. That would show as close to zero if loaded down at all. When an output was not going on properly.

Comment

Working...
                        X