LCD lamps on Lamp Dimmer 2457D2 switch on/off, Red & Green LEDs alternate

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

LCD lamps on Lamp Dimmer 2457D2 switch on/off, Red & Green LEDs alternate

I had two LED lamps and one incandescent on a 2457D2 Lamp Dimmer plug-in module and everything worked fine. I replaced the incandescent with an LED and they all started cycling between on/off and the LED on the 2457 alternates between Green and Red. I unplugged the two original LED lamps and the new one worked fine by itself. The originals are something like 24 individual LEDs on a standard lamp base, the new LED lamp is a CREE from Home Depot, which I'm using throughout the house with no problems anywhere else.

Is it likely that the two original ones were simply of poor quality and cause spurious signals that confuse the 2457?

If necessary I'll just replace them with two more CREE's from Home Depot.

From your findings. It appears the two original LED bulbs are not compatible with the 2457D2.

Are the two older LED bulbs rated to be on a dimmer? If not that would be a real good reason why they don't work correctly. The incandescent bulb may have smoothed thing out enough for them to work. Replacing the two problem ones. Is a good possibility.

Cree LED bulbs are one of the manufacturers brands I have seen good results reported by users.

Comment

I don't believe the original LEDs were dimmable. They are strange. Even using an Appliance Module that opens both Line and Common they light dimly, probably due to bypass capacitors providing an alternate path. I'll just replace them with CREEs. I'm having great luck with CREEs. I have listened for RFI across many HF bands and have found none, even right beside my HF and VHF/UHF radios! Their packaging is also great - very thoughtful easy opening design. Company was founded by NC State folks. They seem to be heading in the right direction.

Comment

The Insteon Appliancelinc only breaks the Line to the output with a relay. The Neutral is connected directly from the input to the output.
        The Appliancelincs have a local control sensing circuit. That puts a small current on the output and the hardware 4.? ones also have an RC snubber network across the relay contacts. That also provides in my tests around 700uA of current. When the contacts are open. The old hardware 1.? ones had two capacitors in series across the relay contacts but they eventually shorted and tried to keep the load on. Resulting in smoked capacitors. They did a recall and cut the caps out.
        Starting with hardware 1.3 2456S Applianclincs and hardware 1.4 2856S/S3B Icon On/Off modules. Had the caps removed.
        Last edited by BLH; 03-02-2015, 11:36 AM. Reason: Add information

Comment

Thanks BLH, very useful info.

Comment

Working...
          X