No announcement yet.

Plugin Garage Door Switch and Genie Series II Intellicode Garage door Opener

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Plugin Garage Door Switch and Genie Series II Intellicode Garage door Opener

I just changed my older garage door opener with a new Genie Model 2027 opener. It will not work with a dry contact switch like my old opener. Is there a way to get the Genie to talk to my Insteon Garage Door Model #74551 Garage Door Control and Status Kit? I am an engineer so modification could be accomplished. Has any other user found a way to interface my Genie opener to the I/O Linc - Insteon Low Voltage / Contact Closure Interface to operate the door remotely? Would I need to hack a Genie remote push button or remote to accomplish this and what Genie device would be the best candidate to use? The status indicator will work OK as is but I need a way to make the door control work. Thank you.

I believe that a 2-wire standard push button wall control is available for the 2027. If so, then you can connect the I/O Linc to where the button would connect.
    Message from Forum Admin: stusviews passed away in April 2018. Stu was a huge fan of Insteon and a huge presence on both the Smarthome and Insteon forums, helping thousands of us along the way (he had nearly 20,000 posts to his name). We thank him for his contributions, dedication, and passion for making the Smart Home a reality. He will truly be missed.
    Saving energy is not always free. Be a world saver.

Comment

Originally posted by stusviews View Post
      I believe that a 2-wire standard push button wall control is available for the 2027. If so, then you can connect the I/O Linc to where the button would connect.
      Correct.... I ordered one for a second entrance door....I decided to use Genie's Aladdin Connect device and APP instead of hacking their push button....I wish Insteon would address this kind of thing from an engineering standpoint. I know it is not always possible to predict all scenarios. My whole house is Insteon controlled but I wish they would offer more solutions. Their Apps are not the best...but since have invested a lot already in Insteon devices it is too late to change. It is unfortunate their Aladdin Connect does not work with Insteon only IRIS. I get the feeling sometimes the founders of the company are losing interest.... Thank you for your help.....

Comment

Insteon devices were designed for standard non controlled devices. Unfortunately devices that have built in control will override what Insteon can do (by design each mfg. Wants you in their system). At the very least, they could potentially work to get API access via their hub app but that wouldn't help at the component level.

Comment

Originally posted by lilyoyo1 View Post
          Insteon devices were designed for standard non controlled devices. Unfortunately devices that have built in control will override what Insteon can do (by design each mfg. Wants you in their system). At the very least, they could potentially work to get API access via their hub app but that wouldn't help at the component level.
          Yes...I understand the hardware issue and each vendor has their own method of doing things...When Insteon partnered with Nest it was a big deal since there were so may Nest users. This helped their sales and brought users like myself into the Insteon fold. Genie Aladdin of course does not have as many users but they have partnered up with Lowes IRIS at the API level. Perhaps Lowes and Genie have a business relationship....anyhow it is good to see the advancement in Home automation these days...I just installed a Rachio home irrigation system and it made my life much better and the environment....thanks for your comment BTW.....

Comment

Working...
          X