Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Just installed garage door kit - questions...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just installed garage door kit - questions...

So, I just wired the garage door kit and have some questions.
    1. Can someone point me to full documentation about what all the settings in the hub app are? The quick start gets it wired and added to the hub, and the only manual I can find deals with programming buttons on hardware remotes.

2. I currently have it set to latching, but opening and closing the door seems to be accomplished by pressing "off". If this is expected, how are the off and on alerts supposed to work? What are the off and on alerts? Are they for the sensor, or the relay?

3. What I would really like is to have something run at 9pm or so and check if the sensor is closed. If its not (the garage is open), I would like it to send an alert.
    Is there any way to do this?

Overall, I'm finding the general nature of the app settings and documentation to be very confusion. It would be nice If you could select from some options in the app to correspond to how you are using the device, like, to say this is controlling a garage door. Then the app settings could be modified to make sense for a garage door. Instead of "ON' and "OFF" the app could show "Open" or "closed".

Thanks for the help.

The I/O Linc is among the most difficult of devices to decipher due to not just the many choices, but how they interact.

1. The documents for the I/O Linc are available on-line form the sales page.

2. The usual setting for a garage door is momentary, the same as with your original remote. Press once to open, press again to close (or stop). Garage door controllers do not have an on or off.

3. The Hub is an entry level device. As such, it does not provide for conditionals (e.g., if this, then do that). If you need/want such a requirement, then you'll need to invest in software or an ISY.

The I/O Linc is a general purpose low voltage controller. A garage door is a specific use. Open and closed are specific commands which would make no sense for other uses of the relay. I do agree, however, that open and close makes sense for your purpose
    Message from Forum Admin: stusviews passed away in April 2018. Stu was a huge fan of Insteon and a huge presence on both the Smarthome and Insteon forums, helping thousands of us along the way (he had nearly 20,000 posts to his name). We thank him for his contributions, dedication, and passion for making the Smart Home a reality. He will truly be missed.
    Saving energy is not always free. Be a world saver.

Comment

Thanks! I went through the documentation again and did find some clues this time - I had missed this section. Insteon's insistence on making everything in the app a generic "On" or "Off" switch really makes for a lot of confusion. It wouldn't take that much work for the app to just ask the user what the device is being used for and modify the GUI elements to make sense for that usage.

Momentary C Use the I/O Linc sensor input to determine whether the I/O Linc relay will trigger. An ON command’s desired state can be programmed to either open or closed. I/O Linc will use the opposite for the OFF command’s desired sensor state. For example, if an ON command is programmed to trigger only when the sensor is closed, an OFF command will trigger only when the sensor is open.

So, I've set it to
      momentary
      momentary duration: 0.9 sec.
      On or Off closes relay

Sensor Triggers relay: no
      Check Sensor Before Triggering: Yes
      Sensor sends: On when closed

I'm trying to use the app here instead of programming "on/off" buttons on a remote. From the app, it opens when I press "off" and closes when I press "on". I can live with that even though it seems backwards. The instructions seem to indicate that you can reverse that, but I didn't see anything telling you how to do it. Any ideas? Should I change the "On of Off closes relay" setting? The instructions don't really seem to cover using the app.

EDIT: Changed these settings and now "ON" is open. "OFF" is close. Hopefully, this helps someone else...
      Check Sensor Before Triggering: No
      Sensor Sends: Off when closed
      Last edited by pallentx; 04-06-2017, 01:46 PM.

Comment

I prefer that Off means that the garage door is off the opening and On places the door on the opening. I use the same logic with our motorized shades
        Message from Forum Admin: stusviews passed away in April 2018. Stu was a huge fan of Insteon and a huge presence on both the Smarthome and Insteon forums, helping thousands of us along the way (he had nearly 20,000 posts to his name). We thank him for his contributions, dedication, and passion for making the Smart Home a reality. He will truly be missed.
        Saving energy is not always free. Be a world saver.

Comment

Originally posted by stusviews View Post
          I prefer that Off means that the garage door is off the opening and On places the door on the opening. I use the same logic with our motorized shades
          I have similar trouble.
          I'm using ISY 994.
          Also using MobiLinc.
          I can figure out how to program it.
          I simply want to activate an inside lamp if the garage door is open so I don't forget to close it at night.
          Don't know what options to select under options in the ISY and whether to use NO or NC?
          Any help on settings and a clip of your program code would be appreciated!
          Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by BlueMesa View Post

I can figure out how to program it.
            I simply want to activate an inside lamp if the garage door is open so I don't forget to close it at night.
            Don't know what options to select under options in the ISY and whether to use NO or NC?
            Any help on settings and a clip of your program code would be appreciated!
            Thanks!
            This is a question is probably better suited for the ISY forums: forum.universal-devices.com

I can see you accomplishing this two different ways. You could create a scene with the IO lInc and the lamp so that when the IO linc is On/Open, the lamp is On.

Or you could create a program that says when the status of the IO linc relay is On/Open, then turn On the lamp.

Comment

I recently purchased and installed two Insteon Garage Door & Status Kit P/N 74551. They are being used on Liftmaster model 3280M-267 1/2 hp motor which included a 3-function wired wall remote, wireless keypad and 3 button battery operated remote. These components were in production until approx 2014. This posting also applies to equivalent SEARS motors and Chamberlain which markets garage motors under the Liftmaster and SEARS brands.

After installing the hardware (2450 I/O Linc and magnetic open close dry contact sensor) and using the INSTEON app to link to the Hub Model 2245-222, neither door would open or close using the app when directly wired from I/O Linc to 24V AC motor input. Resetting the I/O Linc as well as deleting it and reinstalling had no effect on function. Troubleshooting with INSTEON tech support resulted in being told Kit 74551 does not work on 1/2 hp motors. I informed tech support it would be beneficial to customers to call out this information under specifications on the product description found on the website. When asked if there was a work-around, I was told no-it would only send alerts if the garage door was opened or closed using an existing battery or hard-wired remote with 1/2 hp motors.

Undaunted I did a web search and located two YouTube videos…one covering the same issue with a Chamberlain brand motor with multi-function control pad and the other video dealt with a SEARS branded motor with multi-function control pad. Both videos were basically a brief summary of how the customers made modifications but lacking on clarity or providing complete details.

Both videos indicated modification of a battery-operated remote by identifying the two legs of the remote button having continuity and soldering the two conductor wire coming from the COM and N/O contacts of the I/O Linc to the two legs (of the four) for the button selected. Before soldering, the button of the remote to be used needs to be linked using the LEARN button on the motor using the instructions provided by the manufacturer. In my situation, the lift motor is paired to the Liftmaster 373LM remote. For a single door (Motor model 3280M), use battery remote 371LM.

One garage door I assigned to switch 1 and the other to switch 3. S1 active legs were identified as the top and bottom legs (side closest to the center of the circuit board when oriented looking at the bottom). Of note, I had to solder a jumper from the top leg on the top side of the board to its solder point on the bottom of the board. I first though there was something wrong with the board and could not get the I/O link to initiate an open or close. Resoldering did not rectify so I assumed there was issue with the circuit board and purchased a second remote only to encounter the exact same issue. Using a jumper wire (see accompanying illustration) was the solution although I can not explain why. S3 was straight-forward. I soldered the two wires to the solder points closest to the edge of the board and open and close commands through the app performed as expected as does S1 with jumper wire in place.

SETTINGS: Relay mode was changed from the default of Latching to Momentary with a minimum duration of 0.20 seconds to simulate the pushing of the remote button. Relay status: On opens relay, off closes relay. Sensor triggers relay: NO. Refer to pictures attached for all parameter settings. Alerts was modified to send a message indicating whether door had been opened or closed as the default message indicates status of relay.

Note: I only had one other INSTEON device in close proximity to the I/O Lincs plugged into the ceiling outlets in the garage. One I/O Linc in direct line of sight of the INSTEON On/Off switch was easily paired with the Hub while the second one not in line-of-site would not pair unless moved to close proximity of the Hub or in direct line of site with the INSTEON On/Off switch. Adding an INSTEON Range Extender P/N 2992-222) significantly improved functionality and response between initiating an open or close command from the app to either I/O Linc. The CR2032 battery is necessary for the remote to send a signal initiated by the I/O Linc. The battery uses very little current and should last a minimum of three years or longer. A detailed document with illustrations has been submitted to INSTEON tech support for their review. My personal experience has shown this modification to be reliable initiating a command locally or from a remote location.

ADDENDUM: 8 JULY 2021
              After some tweaking of the device parameters, I found the following SETTINGS to work best for my application:
              MONITOR AND DISPLAY SENSOR STATUS =ON
              RELAY MODE: MOMENTARY. MOMENTARY DURATION=0.20 second
              RELAY COMMANDS: ON OR OFF CLOSES RELAY (In this configuration Impress ON to OPEN the door and OFF to close the door)
              SENSOR TRIGGERS RELAY= NO
              CHECK SENSOR BEFORE TRIGGERING= NO
              SENSOR SENDS: ON WHEN CLOSED

You do not have permission to view this gallery.
              This gallery has 5 photos.
              Last edited by WorldTraveler75; 07-08-2021, 06:03 PM.

Comment

Working...
              X