No announcement yet.

Scene membership settings for garage door control with keypad and insteon hub

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Scene membership settings for garage door control with keypad and insteon hub

I have found several demos of people having a button on a wired in keypad light up when the garage door is open and then turn off once the door is closed based on the sensor status.

I have tried several different configurations of having the the button as controller only, controller and responder(BOTH) and same for the garage door controller module.

No problems opening and closing the door from the insteon hub app directly from the sensor device

I know the objective is to get the sensor to turn the switch button ON when open and OFF when closed but can;t seem to get the right settings in place using the insteon hub app.

The button should be a controller (only) of the relay and a responder (only) to the sensor. Depending on the magnetic contact the button may be on when the garage door is closed and off when the garage door is open. Is that your result?
    Message from Forum Admin: stusviews passed away in April 2018. Stu was a huge fan of Insteon and a huge presence on both the Smarthome and Insteon forums, helping thousands of us along the way (he had nearly 20,000 posts to his name). We thank him for his contributions, dedication, and passion for making the Smart Home a reality. He will truly be missed.
    Saving energy is not always free. Be a world saver.

Comment

I found similar instruction of other posts and blogs but in the insteon hub configuration I see no separation between the sensor and the relay. I was able to get it somewhat working with the attached scene configuration. The light will now come on when the door it open and off when it closes.

However the keypad button itself when pressed will immediately turn off the light to the button instead of waiting until the door is closed and letting the sensor turn off the light.

I have the garage door controller setup as per http://www.insteon.com/support-knowl...gs-for-hub-ios

You do not have permission to view this gallery.
      This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

Anytime you press a Keypad button, it will respond, even if it's not linked to anything.
        Message from Forum Admin: stusviews passed away in April 2018. Stu was a huge fan of Insteon and a huge presence on both the Smarthome and Insteon forums, helping thousands of us along the way (he had nearly 20,000 posts to his name). We thank him for his contributions, dedication, and passion for making the Smart Home a reality. He will truly be missed.

Comment

So it is not possible to get a keypad button to not turn it's own light off then?

Like is shown in this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F3b2aNWXjpU

Comment

Yes, it certainly is. If the button is a responder to the sensor, then it will/should turn off when the garage door fully closes. If you want to keep the button LED from turning off manually, then set the button to On-only (see the Owner's Manual).

BTW, I also use red diffusers to indicate the status of the garage doors.

Comment

I tried the "always on" option on the button yesterday shortly after my post and that worked. Light stays on until the sensor turns it off
              You do not have permission to view this gallery.
              This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

Were you able to resolve this? I am having the same problem. I had my garage doors linked to my keypads in the laundry room, foyer, and my master bedroom and was using the ISY hub for years with no problems. Like stusviews, I used the red diffusers so that the button would light up red to draw my attention if I accidentally left the garage door open.

I couldn't use the ISY hub anymore because I don't have a computer with that old version of Java, so I "upgraded" to the newer Insteon Hub. Only the Insteon Hub doesn't have the same functionality as the ISY hub did. I can link the keypad buttons to the garage door I/O Links, and I can open and close the garage doors from the buttons, but the buttons on the keypads don't indicate the status of the garage doors like they used to. I've tried setting the buttons for "always on" but it still isn't working. With the ISY hub, I could tell the button to be a controller of the I/O link but indicate (responder of) the sensor status.

Another separate issue is that the Insteon Hub keeps making my 6 button keypads think that they are 8-button keypads. I wish the Insteon Hub wasn't a step backward from the ISY hub. I like the simplicity of the GUI, but not the lack of functionality.

In any case, I've been googling and searching the Insteon page thinking surely I'm not the ONLY person who has had this problem, but I have not found any clear-cut answers how to fix it. If anyone can shed some light on it and tell me how to make it work, I would be very thankful.

Comment

Can you be more specific than, "I don't have a computer with that old version of Java?"

Comment

ISY HUB?
                    Are you asking about an ISY99i or ISY994i series controller or an Insteon 2245-222 HUB or older 2242-222 HUB?

Comment

The only outstanding issue I have is I cannot get 2 buttons on my 6 button keypad to use the "Always On" option I posted on 3/29.
                      I have two garage doors and would like each button to be always on but as soon I get one setup if I try to do the same for the other button the 1st one is no longer set to "always on".

It seems like you can only have one button per keypad "always on"

Comment

The insteon hub feels like a step back because it was designed to be an entry level controller while the ISY was designed to be a full automation controller. You simply chose the wrong product for your needs.

It sounds like you may have had the old 99i instead of the newer isy994 which would give you the same functionality that you had once before.

Comment

Originally posted by gokuro View Post
                          The only outstanding issue I have is I cannot get 2 buttons on my 6 button keypad to use the "Always On" option I posted on 3/29.
                          I have two garage doors and would like each button to be always on but as soon I get one setup if I try to do the same for the other button the 1st one is no longer set to "always on".

It seems like you can only have one button per keypad "always on"
                          Not so. Every button can be set to be On-only. Describe the procedure you are using and the result of each step.

Comment

New user, similar issues. I'm trying to set this up, but it just doesn't make sense to me. Maybe I'm just overthinking it.

I have the garage door kit hardware installed and recognized by the Insteon Hub. All settings are set as recommended for Garage door control, though I reduced the momentary duration to 0.9 seconds, as that seems to cause the door to respond without as much lag. I can control the door manually via the I/O Linc device in the Insteon app.

I also have a keypad, with some of its buttons already controlling other devices.

I have created the scene as recommended here (and elsewhere): I/O Linc configured as controller, keypad button configured as responder. I press the keypad button, and nothing happens. Nothing.

Here's where maybe I'm overthinking it: If the keypad button is a responder only, I wouldn't actually expect it to send anything when pressed; the behavior I see matches what I'd expect if I hadn't read the "recommended" configuration at all.

If I switch the scene around, keypad button as controller, I/O Linc as responder, now I can operate the door. But the keypad button doesn't indicate the door's open/closed state. Again, this is somewhat expected, as the keypad button isn't set to be a responder, and the I/O Link isn't set as a controller.

Can someone please explain: (a)
                            What's missing from my understanding of t
                            he principle of operation? (b) How is it the recommended configuration ever supposed to work? (c) What have I configured wrong?

Comment

The KPL button should be a controller of the relay (operates the garage door) and a responder to the the sensor (indicates the state of the garage door).

Comment

Working...
                              X