INSTEON Garage Door Control & Status Kit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

INSTEON Garage Door Control & Status Kit

I have a Genie Powermax 1200 garage door opener. I was not able to get the Garage Door Control Kit to work with it. I ordered the Genie Dry Contact converter and still no luck. I have an extra remote I could hack if I could figure out how. Any help on how to get this Insteon product to work would be appreciated.

What did you connect to what?
    Message from Forum Admin: stusviews passed away in April 2018. Stu was a huge fan of Insteon and a huge presence on both the Smarthome and Insteon forums, helping thousands of us along the way (he had nearly 20,000 posts to his name). We thank him for his contributions, dedication, and passion for making the Smart Home a reality. He will truly be missed.
    Saving energy is not always free. Be a world saver.

Comment

I initially tried connecting directly to the input where my hard wired switch connected. That did not work with my garage door opener. I then purchased a Dry Contact Converter and connected my Insteon Garage Door Control Kit to the Converter and from the converter also into the input where the hard wired switch connected. Also did not trigger the garage door when I activated the insteon device (either manually or through the app). Basically I have tried about every connection I could think of and have not been able to get the garage door opener to trigger from the insteon device.

Comment

If you connect a wire between the two input connections on the converter where the IO Linc output was connected. Does the garage door open?

Comment

"Connecting directly to the input" is meaningless. What specifically did you connect to what? Name each terminal or connection. Specify the "hard wired switch."
          Message from Forum Admin: stusviews passed away in April 2018. Stu was a huge fan of Insteon and a huge presence on both the Smarthome and Insteon forums, helping thousands of us along the way (he had nearly 20,000 posts to his name). We thank him for his contributions, dedication, and passion for making the Smart Home a reality. He will truly be missed.

Comment

On the Insteon Device there is a COM and a N/O which I am connecting to the BWC connections on the garage door opener. When I do a direct connection from the Insteon device the switch does not work. I tried switching the wires in the Garage Door opener, same results. When I go through the Dry Contact Converter I plug the COM and N/O wires from the Insteon Device to the two switch connectors on the Converter and then go from the Opener connections on the Converter to the BWC connections on the garage door opener. The switch does not work. I try switching the wires from the Converter in the Garage Door opener, same results.

If I do a jumper between the two wires going from the garage door opener BWC connections the door does not open.

The Garage door opener has 6 connections. 2 STB connections (for the sensors), 2 BWC Connectors for the wired switch, and 2 IWC Connectors for Smart Switches.

Comment

I'm unable to find any manual for the dry contact adapter. Do you have a link?

Comment

Don't see a manual online. I am attaching what came with the Adapter (however this is an instillation guide). Here is a link to where the Adapter can be ordered (which gives a description of the Adapter): http://www.aaaremotes.com/genie-3801...l#.V8ypL5grJ9M

You do not have permission to view this gallery.
                This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

It appears the the wires marked "Switch" connect to the I/O Linc NO and Com terminals (polarity doesn't matter. The other end of the adapter connects to the opener terminals. You can test by connecting one end to the opener (you'll have to try both pairs of terminals) and briefly shorting the wires labelled "Switch."

Comment

I'm beginning to think this opener will not work with any sort of Dry Contact switch. I have tried what you suggested above and when I short the wires labeled switch nothing happens. Unless there are any other suggestions, I might need to figure out how to wire into an opener or return this device to the store. It appears with the openers and switches etc that contact with one terminal trips the circuit not both with an on/off type action.

Comment

There is no such device that requires only one contact or terminal. Nearly every device requires two. A few need three or more.

Comment

Working...
                      X