Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Insteon lightbulb not working in certain sockets.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Insteon lightbulb not working in certain sockets.

This one is somewhat perplexing. I have a wall socket that is turned off and on using a light switch. In that wall socket I have a wall lamp with the Insteon lightbulb plugged into it. When I go through the scanning process the hub will not locate that lightbulb if it is plugged into that wall socket. If I use the same lamp with the insteon lightbulb and plug it into a bathroom socket only 4 feet away the hub will recognize it. I have literally tried 20 times. Making sure the lamp and lightbulb work as well as plugging it into different sockets. It is just this one wall socket that is controlled by a light switch that the hub will not find the lightbulb.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

James

Are both locations on the same circuit?
    If not it is possible you have a power line signal problem between the the circuit with the wall switch and HUB.

Do you have any phase coupling between the homes two incoming power lines?
    Like a pair of Range Extenders {old name Access Point} or Dual Band devices. That you have used the built in communications tests to verify operation.
    The HUB is it plugged into a UPS or Surge Suppressor that maybe absorbing the power line signals?

Comment

Thank you for your reply. Before I answer your question let me ask you a question. Does the lightbulb get its signal via the house wiring or is it Wi-Fi controlled? I am not sure if the hub and the wall outlet of which has a light fixture with the insteon lightbulb plugged into it is on the same circuit. I will have to look into that. As to your second question, I don't think I have a phase coupling. I just looked it up and apparently insteon sells them. Should I install that? Not quite sure what you mean about the range extenders. I know the lightbulb works because I plugged it into the same light fixture and ran an extension cord to the bathroom wall outlet and the hub found it. It just simply will not work on this specific wall outlet. Thank you once again for your fast reply. James

Comment

If you have the 2672-222 "A" shell style LED bulb. I am not 100% sure if it is Insteon power line, Insteon RF or both like in a Dual Band device. The sales page is very sketchy on its properties. The 2674-222 PAR38 states Dual Band RF or Power Line commands.
        The fact that it worked in the same location with a different power feed. Would indicate to me it is a power line signal issue.
        Smarthome sells a passive coupler you can connect into the breaker panel. It just passes what ever signal is found at the breaker box to the other phase.
        The Range Extenders are a device that receive and send Insteon commands on both the power line and Insteon RF. If you have other Insteon devices that are Dual Band {use RF and Power Line} Range Extenders are not always needed.
        Insteon used 915MHz which is not the RF frequency used by Wi-Fi.

Comment

The most likely culprit is lack of coupling between the opposite legs of the split, single-phase electric supply. Follow BLH's advice. Install a coupler in the breaker box or tow dual-band devices. It's important to perform the bridging test as described in all dual-band devices' Owner's Manuals.

BTW, did you ensure that the switch for the sconce was turned on?
          Message from Forum Admin: stusviews passed away in April 2018. Stu was a huge fan of Insteon and a huge presence on both the Smarthome and Insteon forums, helping thousands of us along the way (he had nearly 20,000 posts to his name). We thank him for his contributions, dedication, and passion for making the Smart Home a reality. He will truly be missed.
          Saving energy is not always free. Be a world saver.

Comment

Thank you both for the reply. I looked at the coupler and will go that route. Just to be perfectly clear there is one that can be placed in your circuit breaker and then the one that plugs into the wall, correct? If so I will look at both options. The wall scones actually does not an on-off switch. It is controlled solely by the light switch. I cannot wait to get the system fully operated. I am a quadriplegic and being able to turn lights off and on fans and monitor the house without having to rely on other people is going to help tremendously. James

Comment

I would like to clarify just two more things. The test that you are referring to would be to turn on the oven( acting as a coupler) and then going through the process of scanning for the lightbulb, correct? The second thing is would be to install a coupler at the power box or purchasing two access points which would bridge the gap, right? Just would like to know the options because I would need to get a electrician in to install the hotwired coupler. Thank you so much. James

Comment

The SignaLinc does need to be installed at the electric service panel. Access Points are plugged in.

Are you sure that the sconce switch was turned on? Screw in an incandescent bulb, make sure that it's lit. Then try the Insteon bulb again.
                Last edited by stusviews; 06-07-2014, 10:08 PM.
                Message from Forum Admin: stusviews passed away in April 2018. Stu was a huge fan of Insteon and a huge presence on both the Smarthome and Insteon forums, helping thousands of us along the way (he had nearly 20,000 posts to his name). We thank him for his contributions, dedication, and passion for making the Smart Home a reality. He will truly be missed.

Comment

100% positive the light fixture switch is turned on. By the way, I said the light fixture doesn't have a switch. It has a three way switch at the lightbulb. However I know it works because I plugged it in to the bathroom wall outlet and the hub was able to find the insteon lightbulb.. The same light fixture that has the insteon lightbulb is able to be detected by the hub if plugged in to a wall socket in my bathroom not more than 4 feet away from the wall socket(controlled by a light switch and yes this switch is turned on) that will not allow the hub to detect the lamp with the insteon lightbulb plugged into it. Now the debate is purchased two access points to bridge the gap. Or have a electrician put in the coupler at the power box.

Can you mix and match? For instance if I purchased an outlet that was dual band to replace the current outlet. And then purchased an access point and put it at the other end of the house with that bridge the gap?

Sorry I am new to this. Perhaps this thread will help somebody else out.

Once again thank you
                  Last edited by jwr72co; 06-07-2014, 11:20 PM.

Comment

Access Points can be mixed with any other Dual Band module. You can mix and match any model Dual Band Module. They will all communicate with each other.
                    You still would have to run the built in communications tests. As in theory the Access Point and Dual Band Outlet could be on the same half of the split single phase power feed to the home.
                    Also the RF range between them maybe too far. Again the tests would verify that.
                    I have seen others report that Access Points have a better coverage range than other Dual Band Modules.

Comment

A 3-way lamp switch has three on positions and one off position when a 3-way bulb is screwed in. One of those on positions is actually off when a standard bulb is screwed in. Did you ensure that the switch was on by using a standard and not a 3-way bulb?

BTW, it is likely that you just need to bridge the opposite legs of the split, single-phase electric supply.

Comment

I went ahead and purchased the phase coupler for the electrical box. Got a couple of access points as well just to extend the range. The light fixture with the three-way switch that has the inteon lightbulb is working on the wall outlet in the bathroom. But like I said it doesn't work in the main outlet of the room. I have my marching orders and will go to it. I really appreciate both of your advice. I have my head wrapped around the problem and know the solutions. Thank you James

Comment

Just wanted to give an update to close out this thread. I also purchased an insteon wall socket dual band and now my light bulb works. It also gives me the option to plug-in a fan so I can control it as well. Now I do not have to install the phase coupler at the electrical box. Although I still might do that just to make everything work right without needing bridges. But that is down the road. I am so happy now I can control my entire room without having to rely on somebody else due to my disability.

Comment

IMO, a phase-coupler at the panel will minimize leakage between the house and the supply transformer. Is is not RF, however. it does repeat INSTEON powerline signals as well as bridging the opposite legs of the split, single-phase electric supply.

Comment

I purchased it so down the road I will probably install it. Just need somebody to do it for me.

Comment

Working...
                              X