Embed IP camera video in web page

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Embed IP camera video in web page

I have six Insteon (aka Foscam) IP cameras, four outdoor and two indoor. All of them are over wired connections ("if it is not meant to be moved, it is not meant to be wireless"). I also have a Windows 2012 R2 Server running IIS, I would like a way to embed the video streams from the cameras into web pages. I know I can get still jpg images using a cgi script on the camera's web server and this is probably good for the overview page showing images from all six. But if I click on one, I would like to see the live stream, so I need some way to publish the stream via the web server. I've found lots of cloud services that will connect to IP cams and publish the stream, but one of my home automation design rules is the system should be completely independent of any cloud based service (hence no Insteon hub, no Nest thermostat, etc etc). I'm hoping there is a component that can publish the stream. I did find something that would work from a Japanese company, but it was way over priced for home use (meant more for commercial publishing). Any ideas? Thanks

"if it is not meant to be moved, it is not meant to be wireless"

So no wireless printers and desktops, for example?

AFAIK, the Insteon cameras require IE to be up and running to record and stream.
    Message from Forum Admin: stusviews passed away in April 2018. Stu was a huge fan of Insteon and a huge presence on both the Smarthome and Insteon forums, helping thousands of us along the way (he had nearly 20,000 posts to his name). We thank him for his contributions, dedication, and passion for making the Smart Home a reality. He will truly be missed.
    Saving energy is not always free. Be a world saver.

Comment

Yes, exaclty...no wireless printers, no wireless desktops. Laptop, phone, tablets are wireless - but docking stations, printer, AV receivers, AppleTVs, TVs, ISY controller, Opto22 PAC controllers are all wired from RJ45 ports running to a server closet patch panel and 48 port Cisco PoE switch (having recently done a down-to-the-studs remodel, it was the chance to install a real wired network). Better reliability and network performance - particularly for things like streaming from multiple cameras to the server.

The video streams from the cameras are accessible via RTSP (i.e. you can access it these streams via iPhone apps, VLC player, etc) without IE.But republishing that (without a direct connection to the camera) is a bit challenging. Though I'm looking at Unreal Media Server (they have a free edition) in combination with Windows Media Services (an add-on to IIS) might do the trick...we'll see.

Comment

I agree wired is better, but it's not available or too costly for some users. So, although not meat to be moved, it IS meant to be wireless. The Harmony Hub is not meant to be moved. It does not even have a wire option.
        Message from Forum Admin: stusviews passed away in April 2018. Stu was a huge fan of Insteon and a huge presence on both the Smarthome and Insteon forums, helping thousands of us along the way (he had nearly 20,000 posts to his name). We thank him for his contributions, dedication, and passion for making the Smart Home a reality. He will truly be missed.

Comment

Yes, I understand that wired doesn't work for everyone - it is not a trivial retrofit to wire an entire house with Cat6 cabling, ports, network wiring closet, etc. But when I was doing my remodel (which home automation played a large part), I had two design rules 1) everything not mobile, should be wired, and 2) nothing should require or even use a "cloud" service...so the Harmony Hub would violate both of these rules (as most hubs do - one of the primary reasons I like the ISY).

Comment

So, you have no voice control (for me, purely fun) and no remote access (purely pragmatic)? Not even for the ISY? BTW, I do use "fixed" computers (as well as mobile devices) for off-site access.
            Last edited by stusviews; 08-02-2016, 10:05 PM.

Comment

No voice control...yet. I have been looking at CastleOS which uses Microsoft Kinect for voice commands (and does not need a cloud service to work, unlike Siri, Alexa, Google). Remote access...of course, that is what the Windows Server is for. It serves up web pages (mobile and full size) with snapshots from the cameras (and hopefully live video at some point), display/control HVAC (Opto22 controller), sprinkler system (also Opto22), display/control lights (Insteon), and various sensor states via REST calls to the ISY. And of course, I can remote desktop to the server if I need to do more admin stuff that I don't have setup on web pages. Technically, I do use one cloud service, DDNS.

Comment

Working...
              X