Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Security Issue - Why has firmware not been updated in so long?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I am so glad the 2 peers that responded have done nothing to contribute this topic, but instead bash me... (Mod excluded)... All I did was raise valid concern for other like minded people, I work in IT and security is a big deal to me, the products I purchase I would like supported by the company that sold it. I felt it necessary to raise this publicly in addition to a support email.

Your argument of 2 days vs 2 years is not a good one because I am bringing up known exploits that have been verified by security researchers (Not ones that possibly exist, because I agree with you on that, nothing is 100% safe) but ignoring known security issues in a product by the vendor is not something I will accept, sorry... BTW for anyone that cares later I will share an exchange i have been having with the OEM (Foscam/Fostar) that backs up my assumptions...

Comment

Just drop it. Your bringing up an issue that has nothing to do with the cameras that you have. If you feel the are unsafe stop using them. If you feel they are the cameras mentioned in the add, flash them. We're bashing you because your basing an argument on your own assumption when everything you have shown so far doesn't point to there being an issue. Only YOU see an issue. The fact that no other users are chiming in only shows that only YOU can see an issue.

In the end, nobody cares but you.

Comment

Originally posted by lilyoyo1 View Post
        Just drop it. Your bringing up an issue that has nothing to do with the cameras that you have. If you feel the are unsafe stop using them. If you feel they are the cameras mentioned in the add, flash them. We're bashing you because your basing an argument on your own assumption when everything you have shown so far doesn't point to there being an issue. Only YOU see an issue. The fact that no other users are chiming in only shows that only YOU can see an issue.
        My point is why even comment if you have nothing valid to offer to the topic?

BTW according to Foscam/Fostar official support the INSTEON 2864-222 HD camera with v4.0 or higher is the FC2406P which is the OEM of FI9816P...

They use chipset Hi 3518E which was the one mentioned in the security notice! So wow is all i have to say to you naysayer's

Now hopefully this does get some awareness and people will start requesting INSTEON support do something about it, until then I will wait for my INSTEON support response and share with the "peers" of this forum that might actually care...

Screen shots will be posted to prove my exchange with Foscam/Fostar

-Derek

Comment

No one cares. If your that worried switch to something else. There are many more choices out there

Comment

No one cares. If your that worried switch to something else. There are many more choices out there
            Again you comment with no value, I am glad you speak for EVERYONE, lol...

I have made a choice and put my money in INSTEON, now I want them to support the product they sold me, nothing wrong with that.

Comment

The fact that you don't have more supporters speaks volumes. Silence is deafening.

Comment

The fact that you don't have more supporters speaks volumes. Silence is deafening.
                I find it amusing you keep commenting, I like the back and forth over nothing.

Comment

Originally posted by Formula84 View Post

I have made a choice and put my money in INSTEON, now I want them to support the product they sold me, nothing wrong with that.
                  You were sold a product at that time; did you also purchase a lifetime upgrade plan?
                  I have a 1936 Ford in my garage, it does not have have up-to-date safety/security features - what are the chances Ford will give me a free upgrade for the vehicle I purchased in good faith?

Yeah, I know that's a worthless statement and adds nothing to your 'problem', but I think my point is made

Comment

Do you really have a 1936 Ford? Wow! That's even more impressive than my BMW 318ti with a DASC supercharger
                    Message from Forum Admin: stusviews passed away in April 2018. Stu was a huge fan of Insteon and a huge presence on both the Smarthome and Insteon forums, helping thousands of us along the way (he had nearly 20,000 posts to his name). We thank him for his contributions, dedication, and passion for making the Smart Home a reality. He will truly be missed.
                    Saving energy is not always free. Be a world saver.

Comment

Nope, it didn't have auto-braking, auto-parking, self-driving, air-bags, power steering, turn signals, power assisted brakes, 12 volt electrics, heated mirrors, electric windows, etc, etc, etc; so I got rid of it. Every once in a while when something is obsolete, you just have to realise that it needs to be replaced with something in current production.

But thanks for allowing me to hammer my point home

Comment

I'm sorry is insteon no longer selling these? Your analogy is lame I'm not complaining about lack of features, and I don't want upgraded hardware, just the people selling a product that is still being sold to support it.

Comment

I'm having problems with older Insteon cameras not working with motion detection, an updated firmware would be nice.
                          Sorry I know this is off topic in a sense, but I guess security isn't the only reason for continued support.

Comment

Insteon is not about security at all. Insteon is a home automation protocol. Some Insteon products can be used to supplement a security, but security systems are meant to be fully functional even if there's a power loss.
                            Message from Forum Admin: stusviews passed away in April 2018. Stu was a huge fan of Insteon and a huge presence on both the Smarthome and Insteon forums, helping thousands of us along the way (he had nearly 20,000 posts to his name). We thank him for his contributions, dedication, and passion for making the Smart Home a reality. He will truly be missed.
                            Saving energy is not always free. Be a world saver.

Comment

I am likewise concerned about updates, as I own several of these cameras and a couple of hubs. I have not seen much information coming from insteon about updating their products.
                              FYI, a 1936 vehicle was an entirely mechanical device, and distributing updated carburetors to all owners was and is a silly concept. On the other hand, manufacturers do have recalls for safety features that are found wanting, and TSBs to update the processes for caring for such things as they gain experience on particular models. Surely in today's world, protecting your networks and identity are safety concerns.
                              I'm sure Apple wouldn't last very long taking the position that they had no responsibility to update the firmware/software that runs on their products.

Comment

https://www.foscam.com/downloads/fir...ils.html?id=39

This is the correct link to update your 75790 cameras . use the ...11.37.2.59 completing both firmware and WEB IU

...then if you want the latest use the 11.37.2.63

Comment

Working...
                                X