Is a Hub absolutely necessary?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is a Hub absolutely necessary?

So far, I've managed to get along on Insteon without a hardware hub. I use HomeSeer software and a PLM. It's never even been an issue. But now I am installing the HD IP Cameras, and they tell me I need to have a hub in order to run them. Well, that doesn't seem to be the case, either, I'm able to view them through the built-in web interface just fine.

EXCEPT...now I want to see them from outside my home, on the BIG internet. I am running into something called connect.insteon.com, which I would like to join, but apparently THAT requires a hub? So I would be laying out $whatever$ for an ISY99 JUST for that one purpose? Or is there a workaround?
    Jim Speiser
    Payson, Arizona

Insteon/X-10 since 1985 | 200+ Insteon devices (and one Zigbee!) | USB PLM | HomeSeer 3 | Current WAF Level: -12

There's loads of app that will allow you to view the cameras from off-site. Which you select depends on how you want to view the cameras (e.g., computer, smartphone, single image. multiple images) and you budget. There's nothing special about the Insteon branded cameras.
    Message from Forum Admin: stusviews passed away in April 2018. Stu was a huge fan of Insteon and a huge presence on both the Smarthome and Insteon forums, helping thousands of us along the way (he had nearly 20,000 posts to his name). We thank him for his contributions, dedication, and passion for making the Smart Home a reality. He will truly be missed.
    Saving energy is not always free. Be a world saver.

Comment

I understand about the DNS services, and currently I use no-ip. But I've now got three cameras and plan on adding more, so I'm above their 2-hostname threshold for free addresses. I know, fork it out, take the hit, stop being a cheapskate. But before I do that, I just wanted to exhaust all possibilities.

So...what exactly is connect.insteon.com? Isn't it a DNS-forwarding service like No-IP? How do I learn more about it? (apparently NOT by simply going to connect.insteon.com, all there is there is a login page). Does it make it unnecessary to invest in a hub?
      Jim Speiser
      Payson, Arizona

Insteon/X-10 since 1985 | 200+ Insteon devices (and one Zigbee!) | USB PLM | HomeSeer 3 | Current WAF Level: -12

Comment

Heh. One. With a very wary wife and a history of break-ins.
        Jim Speiser
        Payson, Arizona

Comment

Originally posted by TFitzpatri8
          In that case, you’re set. Assign a different port and port forwarding rule for each camera to your router, then log into the camera using your no-ip address: desired camera port.
          Absorbing....processing....
          Jim Speiser
          Payson, Arizona

Comment

Originally posted by TFitzpatri8
            In that case, you’re set. Assign a different port and port forwarding rule for each camera to your router, then log into the camera using your no-ip address: desired camera port.
            OK, I think I understand and can do that. Rather than get different host names for each camera, use a single hostname and differentiate by the port? Then redirect each port to, I guess, IPCAM or something. But I'm not sure if that will work, aren't the INSTEON HDs kinda fond of 34100?

And in any case, why will no one tell me about connect.insteon.com? Is it a secret? It does say "Beta". But it comes up in the basic setup docs! Is it a puzzle? Is it dark web? Is it something I dreamed?? C'mon, have a heart!!
            Jim Speiser
            Payson, Arizona

Comment

You need to be a Beta tester and have Beta gear for the site to be of use.
              Message from Forum Admin: stusviews passed away in April 2018. Stu was a huge fan of Insteon and a huge presence on both the Smarthome and Insteon forums, helping thousands of us along the way (he had nearly 20,000 posts to his name). We thank him for his contributions, dedication, and passion for making the Smart Home a reality. He will truly be missed.
              Saving energy is not always free. Be a world saver.

Comment

Well OK then!
                Jim Speiser
                Payson, Arizona

Comment

So far, I've managed to get along on Insteon without a hardware hub. I use HomeSeer software and a PLM. It's never even been an issue. But now I am installing the HD IP Cameras, and they tell me I need to have a hub in order to run them. Well, that doesn't seem to be the case, either, I'm able to view them through the built-in web interface just fine.

EXCEPT...now I want to see them from outside my home, on the BIG internet. I am running into something called connect.insteon.com, which I would like to join granny, but apparently THAT requires a hub? So I would be laying out $whatever$ for an ISY99 JUST for that one purpose? Or is there a workaround?
                  Yeah, It's neccessary.

Comment

Originally posted by Altobello View Post

Yeah, It's neccessary.
                    Good lord, how long ago did I write that? I've since abandoned the IP cameras, in favor of NetVue. But how did my granny get involved?
                    Jim Speiser
                    Payson, Arizona

Comment

Working...
                    X