Is a Hub absolutely necessary?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is a Hub absolutely necessary?

So far, I've managed to get along on Insteon without a hardware hub. I use HomeSeer software and a PLM. It's never even been an issue. But now I am installing the HD IP Cameras, and they tell me I need to have a hub in order to run them. Well, that doesn't seem to be the case, either, I'm able to view them through the built-in web interface just fine.

EXCEPT...now I want to see them from outside my home, on the BIG internet. I am running into something called connect.insteon.com, which I would like to join, but apparently THAT requires a hub? So I would be laying out $whatever$ for an ISY99 JUST for that one purpose? Or is there a workaround?

Most internet-connected devices use dynamic ip addresses, which means each time power is cycled to one of the devices (modem, router, camera), everything can end up with a different address. You can’t view the camera by logging into it directly if you don’t know its new address.

You have options for dealing with this changing address phenomena. You can manually set up reserved ip addresses and port forwarding on your local area network, then either pay a monthly fee to your internet service provider to get a ‘static ip address’, or if you have a computer running in the home 24/7, you can hire a dns forwarding company that will detect address changes (using the computer in your house) and forward traffic to the new address.

An easier alternative is to buy the model 2245 INSTEON Hub. In addition to providing an internet connection for INSTEON modules, the Hub also provides a dns forwarding feature without a monthly fee.

Comment

There's loads of app that will allow you to view the cameras from off-site. Which you select depends on how you want to view the cameras (e.g., computer, smartphone, single image. multiple images) and you budget. There's nothing special about the Insteon branded cameras.
      Stu's Views is Education and Fun. What do YOU want to VIEW today?
      MathLandia High school mathematics learning fun.
      Both Stu's Views and MathLandia are free websites that do not sell anything.
      Saving energy is not always free. Be a world saver.

Please don't PM with questions that can be asked in a forum.

Comment

I understand about the DNS services, and currently I use no-ip. But I've now got three cameras and plan on adding more, so I'm above their 2-hostname threshold for free addresses. I know, fork it out, take the hit, stop being a cheapskate. But before I do that, I just wanted to exhaust all possibilities.

So...what exactly is connect.insteon.com? Isn't it a DNS-forwarding service like No-IP? How do I learn more about it? (apparently NOT by simply going to connect.insteon.com, all there is there is a login page). Does it make it unnecessary to invest in a hub?

Comment

Two aren’t sufficient? Most homes only use a single modem and WAN IP address. How many homes are you trying to monitor?
          Last edited by TFitzpatri8; 02-05-2018, 04:27 PM.

Comment

Heh. One. With a very wary wife and a history of break-ins.

Comment

In that case, you’re set. Assign a different port and port forwarding rule for each camera to your router, then log into the camera using your no-ip address: desired camera port.

Comment

Originally posted by TFitzpatri8 View Post
                In that case, you’re set. Assign a different port and port forwarding rule for each camera to your router, then log into the camera using your no-ip address: desired camera port.
                Absorbing....processing....

Comment

Originally posted by TFitzpatri8 View Post
                  OK, I think I understand and can do that. Rather than get different host names for each camera, use a single hostname and differentiate by the port? Then redirect each port to, I guess, IPCAM or something. But I'm not sure if that will work, aren't the INSTEON HDs kinda fond of 34100?

And in any case, why will no one tell me about connect.insteon.com? Is it a secret? It does say "Beta". But it comes up in the basic setup docs! Is it a puzzle? Is it dark web? Is it something I dreamed?? C'mon, have a heart!!

Comment

You need to be a Beta tester and have Beta gear for the site to be of use.
                    Stu's Views is Education and Fun. What do YOU want to VIEW today?
                    MathLandia High school mathematics learning fun.
                    Both Stu's Views and MathLandia are free websites that do not sell anything.
                    Saving energy is not always free. Be a world saver.

Please don't PM with questions that can be asked in a forum.

Comment

Well OK then!

Comment

Working...
                      X