Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hub woes this week (after firmware updates...) Any troubleshooting suggestions?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hub woes this week (after firmware updates...) Any troubleshooting suggestions?

My Insteon setup has been humming along fine for the past 20 months with almost no hiccups. 39 devices, controlled by a 2245-222 Hub. Mostly controlled via the Hub iOS app, latest version. No Alexa/Sonos/Stringify/other integrations set up

I received an email from Insteon earlier this week indicating that the Hub would be updated to Hub Version 1013, PLM Version A3. It looks like this update completed sometime in the last day or two.

As of this afternoon, my Hub suddenly decided to start beeping semi-regularly, and the light is now solid red. I've tried unplugging it, waiting 30 seconds, and plugging it back in, but the behavior is the same. I've got an email and call into Insteon support, but of course, I finally got around to trying to contact them at 6pm PST, after they closed. As I type this post, the light has occasionally turned green for a minute or so, but then goes back to red and the beeping resumes.

What is sort of strange is that all functions of the hub seem to be working just fine. I can access and control devices from the Hub app on my phone, both locally and remote.

The intermittent beeping is quite the annoyance.

I'm trying to figure out if this is an isolated thing, if I should wait to see if it fixes itself from Insteon's end (server side), or if there is some other form of troubleshooting that I can do. A complete reset of the hub and setting up 39 devices & 20 scenes is something I only consider a last resort.

Anyone having similar experiences? Any other ideas on how I might solve this issue (before I wait the 2 days for a response from Insteon)?

I think I answered my own question with some searching...
    Based on the troubleshooting steps on this page: http://www.insteon.com/support-knowl...on-diagnostics, I'm failing "Test 6: Successful remote connection to Insteon Servers at power-up"

However, the Insteon Service Status Page http://www.insteon.com/systemstatus is showing all OK... Hrrm.

I've tried unplugging and re-plugging, but all my other internet functions are working, so I'm assuming this is on Insteon's end, and I'll give it 24 hours to see if it gets reconciled....

Comment

My new hub, 3 weeks old, last one after 3 years died.
      All worked great until now. Was going to post just before I saw your post.
      Haven't tried my phone apps but light is also solid red, restarted router, un plugged hub 3 times ans still solid red, doesent even blink a few times when connecting back to power, just instant red

Comment

Just did the test as you posted, it single beeped , 6 times and double beeped at the end of those? I can also access with remote through apps with wifi turned off
        Last edited by rajung; 12-19-2017, 08:13 PM.

Comment

Same issues with the solid red light here. I'm sitting in the living room this evening and here the Insteon beeping (when linking, unlinking, etc) going off in the house. Finally track it down to my Hub. Then started worrying about the red light. Unplugged a few times, no change. Then I did the "press the set button 3 times fast" reset trick, but nothing either, still red. And then I came here.

That's when I remembered the email about the firmware upgrade. I do have it. Going to http://connect.insteon.com/getinfo.asp and logging into the IP address shows "Firmware:1013 Build Dec 18 2017 09:43:02 ".

Hub is still beeping all the time, no pattern to it. What's going on?!

And what does the red light mean now?

Comment

The release notes say:

Version 1013

This version of the Insteon Hub firmware adds support for improved 3rd party integrations. This update is being released on Dec 18, 2017 and automatically installed although it may take a few days to propagate.

Please note: With this update the LED on the front of your Insteon Hub will frequently alternate between red and green. This is normal behavior.
            Mine is not alternating between red and green...it's solid red. And beeping occasionally! Going to drive all in this household mad here pretty soon.

Comment

Mine is doing the same. Red light is solid, it never goes to green, and it beeps. Even the triple tap on set button never makes it go green like it's supposed to. But the stupid thing works just fine. My apps all work and my Echo controls my devices just fine. The red light I can live with, but the beeping is driving me insane. It seems like it's stuck in some kind of diagnostics mode. Whenever there is activity through the hub, it beeps. Strictly local Insteon events, like a motion sensor, don't make it beep, but anything through the app or Echo does. It also seems to beep randomly when nothing else is going on, can't figure that one, unless it's checking in the Insteon servers. I'm thinking about an ISY in any case, and this botched update may well be what makes me pull the trigger on that.

Comment

Thanks for the replies, it looks like I'm not alone here.
                I was just going to reply here that my Hub has not beeped in about 15 minutes, but the light remains solid red. And then, just as I typed the 5th word of this post, yet another single beep. One beep only. and then a minute later.

Going to just give it some time. Maybe it'll get through re-linking everything and calm back down.

Sure would be nice if the release notes for the firmware mentioned SOMETHING (anything) about this behavior.

Comment

I've got the same situation here too! Update A3 1013, solid red led, random beeping, network tests pass, things work, network reset (3 taps) doesn't help. Side note, my hub died completely in the last week after 2 years and 3 months (out of warranty), but the "try replacing the 47uF 50v capacitor C7 on the board" worked to get it back online w/o the headache of re-configuring all 40+devices to a new hub.

I expect this may just need to wait for it to complete its re-linking after the 1013 update. I would REALLY appreciate it if Insteon would send a warning about it with what to expect, rather than force an update that is not as silent as it should be.
                  Last edited by jgmoxness; 12-19-2017, 08:57 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by rajung View Post
                    Just did the test as you posted, it single beeped , 6 times and double beeped at the end of those? I can also access with remote through apps with wifi turned off
                    The Hub doesn't use WiFi. That's why an Ethernet cable connected to your router is required. If you're using a device such as a smartphone, then that device can connect to your router using the phone's cellular service.
                    Message from Forum Admin: stusviews passed away in April 2018. Stu was a huge fan of Insteon and a huge presence on both the Smarthome and Insteon forums, helping thousands of us along the way (he had nearly 20,000 posts to his name). We thank him for his contributions, dedication, and passion for making the Smart Home a reality. He will truly be missed.
                    Saving energy is not always free. Be a world saver.

Comment

It will fix itself. Just give it a day or so and all will be back to normal.

Comment

This morning hub light back to green

Comment

Mine seems to have fixed itself too. It was touch and go for a while, red and beeping for most of a day, green for an hour, then back to beeping and red ... then it settled down and has been green and quiet for the last 5-6 hours.

Comment

I just noticed that mine is now green also. And the beeping has stopped. Good.

Yes, it would have been nice if Insteon would have warned us about the symptoms while the firmware update was working. I figured my Hub was dead, just after I replaced mine a few months ago...

Comment

Mine still solid red.. all working fine except Alexa integration that the others reported.

Comment

Working...
                              X