Insteon Hub, Alexa, and X10, and ISY

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Insteon Hub, Alexa, and X10, and ISY

I have an older Hub, and trying to stay that way, because I've got a mixed Insteon and X10 system. I have recently added an ISY994i. There are one or two X10 devices that the Hub communicates reliably with, but the ISY does not. It appears that this is a known / accepted issue, that the X10 signal is stronger from the Hub than the ISY. I am thinking I've trying out an Amazon Echo... and see the newer Hubs support Echo, but NOT X10. Is there an "intermediate" version of the Hub that I might be able to track down on Ebay. etc, that supports BOTH X10 and the Alexa interface? I see some posts that imply the newest Echo's do NOT require the Hub to control Insteon? or have I misinterpreted that? And what would be the rationale for Smarthome to remove the X10 compatibility from the Hub, and other new versions of Insteon devices? I suppose everything in life comes down to money, so do they save a few cents in manufacturing by not including some chip or other X10 unique component? And lastly, though I've seen a few forum posts that say "don't", but is there really any problem using multiple Hubs (X10 version + Alexa version) and ISY all together?

Not including the X10 protocol in newer Insteon devices is a substantial savings. Not only is a large chunk of memory released, but that memory has been to to use to enhance existing features as well as add new ones to Insteon devices.Using the color of the set LED to discern between linking and unlinking mode for one. Using the same LED to determine if sending a signal was successful for another. Adding a beep as an acknowledgement and much more.

No, there is no Insteon intermediate Hub. For the same reasons stated above and to be able to keep a low price, Echo support was added and X10 support was dropped.

Actually, an experienced user can maintain several Insteon managers, but unless you are very familiar with the Insteon protocol, you will, not may, run into inconceivable problems. I say "maintain" several managers because, for the most part, any change made in one requires that you replicate that change in each. It's somewhat tasking.
    Message from Forum Admin: stusviews passed away in April 2018. Stu was a huge fan of Insteon and a huge presence on both the Smarthome and Insteon forums, helping thousands of us along the way (he had nearly 20,000 posts to his name). We thank him for his contributions, dedication, and passion for making the Smart Home a reality. He will truly be missed.
    Saving energy is not always free. Be a world saver.

Comment

Insteon is trying to enhance it's own line not carry someone else's name. Regardless of what someone feels about insteon, X10 hurts them more than it helps.

Anytime someone uses insteon as X10 it inherently becomes an X10 device. When they have issues, it's not X10 signaling that they are having issues but insteon. Those complaints hurts insteon not X10. Not only that, troubleshooting and technical support for a brand that is not yours simply isn't worth it.

Like Stusviews says, it is possible to run multiple managers IF you know what you're doing. I wouldn't recommend it. If it's only a few devices that you're having problems with, you're better off replacing those with insteon and simplifying you controllers by using only one.
      Last edited by lilyoyo1; 11-26-2017, 09:58 PM.

Comment

Working...
      X