Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Insteon devices are not working with Amazon Alexa Smart Room feature

Hello,

Amazon recently released Alexa smart room where you can create a room and add your Alexa compatibles devices like Hue and Insteon lights along with the Echo dots placed inside that room for example inside a master bed room. Then all you say is "Alexa lights on" when you are in that master bed room and all your lights will turn on. Insteon devices are not working with this new feature. However, if you click on "On" button while inside the Alexa app then everything works fine. The point here is that voice commands with smart room with insteon devices added are not working.

Anyone tried this yet? Please Insteon software Gods, do your magic so this will work. I bet you will say it's on Amazon end 😃 Just kidding. Thank you.

Why would we need that?

Comment

Originally posted by ttantalo View Post
      Why would we need that?
      Using multiple accounts, when I ask Alexa to turn on the light, only the light in the room I'm in turns on. We can do that in most rooms of our house. That mimics natural speech. For example if we're in the living room and I ask someone to turn on the lights it's understood that I mean the living room lights and not the bedroom lights. I don't need to name the room.
      Message from Forum Admin: stusviews passed away in April 2018. Stu was a huge fan of Insteon and a huge presence on both the Smarthome and Insteon forums, helping thousands of us along the way (he had nearly 20,000 posts to his name). We thank him for his contributions, dedication, and passion for making the Smart Home a reality. He will truly be missed.
      Saving energy is not always free. Be a world saver.

Comment

scenes can be defined within alexa why do you need to look further stu?

Comment

Scenes will not allow you to say, "Alexa, turn the light on," in any of several different rooms and have only the light in the room you're in turn on. Of course, you need a separate Echo device in each room that you are making the request from.
          Message from Forum Admin: stusviews passed away in April 2018. Stu was a huge fan of Insteon and a huge presence on both the Smarthome and Insteon forums, helping thousands of us along the way (he had nearly 20,000 posts to his name). We thank him for his contributions, dedication, and passion for making the Smart Home a reality. He will truly be missed.

Comment

That's taking it too far .

Comment

Not if you have a large home, many devices, or desire simplicity in use.

Comment

Originally posted by ttantalo View Post
                That's taking it too far .
                What I suggested is precisely the solution to the OP's concern. How do I know? That's exactly how I have accomplished the task. I do agree that's it's taking automation far. But, IMO, that's certainly not too far.

If you don't want/need that convenience, then it's not for you. But I find it considerably easier and certainly more natural to tell Alexa to turn on the light rather than have to designate the name of the room, for example, living room, bedroom dining room, etc.

Comment

Yeah your right

Comment

It took me a LONG time to get this to work just right. In my experience, you have to name the Echo to the exact name of the room you are going to use for the Alexa-Enabled room. You also need to have the room name as the first part of the device name. For example. My family room's echo Show is called Family Room, the smart group for that device is called "Family Room", and the primary lights for that room is called Family Room Lights. Then you have to wait a while, 2 or 3 minutes, and it should just work. I went through a BUNCH of permutations before I found the right combo of names and shit. And, to be honest, the waiting thing was 90% of my troubles I think. The config seems to take a few minutes to sync from the App to the actual devices in your house. Do not try to rename all the lights to just "lights" once you have put them in a smart group... unless you like roulette lighting. Discovered that the hard and entertaining way... I had 5 different rooms that I reconfigured for the lights to just be called lights, in my hope to finally get the room context working... yeah, it seems to randomly select which lights to turn on in that scenario... Super weird, as it won't let you rename something to a name that is in use, if you try it from the devices page. You can only do it, once you add it to a smart group, and then edited from within the context of the group.

Hope that helps.

Comment

I have a weird 3 times asking alexa to do something, I figure its interference of some kind. Enough time to get around the clouds (or not) of eternity is frustrating !
                      Anyone have this issue intermittently or not at all ?

Comment

Yeah I did that you mentioned, but seems my wifi has a glitch (because she acknowledges the command each time which is weird).Maybe status reporting is delayed or because
                        power goes off once in a while. Seems like Harmony or Alexa could have a problem,probably not Insteon.
                        I guess Harmony and Alexa should be cabled when and if they offer it.It may solve some of these problems. Anyway I'm rambling on.

Comment

smart room feature seems promising!!

Comment

Anyone get this working with alexa yet? I tried it last night and couldn’t get it to work.

Comment

Erroneous post.
                              Last edited by stusviews; 01-12-2018, 05:14 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X