No announcement yet.

Alexa Integration Issues?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I tried switching channels on my router and it has seemed to help. I think alexa has issues staying connected to the internet, anyhow ,experimentation is your best friend.
    I was on amazon support and clued in about ethernet alexa and they agreed, so stay tuned !!

Comment

Some may explain you need more confusion but stick to basic troubleshooting and I think you will find the end results will be more desirable.

Comment

I’ve had similar issues from the beginning. At this point I’ve halted further expansion of my Insteon network and have installed a Wink hub (Z-wave) to begin trying that out in case I eventually need to switch over. Wink has not had any issues like this.

Because of this, I'm also for now recommending Z-wave over Insteon to friends who see my smart home at work and want to install their own system. It’s not very impressive when you ask Alexa to turn on the Living room lights, and she responds with some gibberish about Insteon not responding!

Comment

I'm a member of a few different forums and have seen the same things in the hue and smart-things forums as well. It looks like its not only an insteon issue but one where a change caught multiple companies by surprise.

Comment

We’ve been working with the Amazon Alexa team on two issues:

1 – customers seeing duplicate devices in their Alexa apps
            and more critically...
            2 – some customers are suddenly unable to control their Insteon devices from Alexa GUI or VUI (they would still be able to control through our IFH apps)

Amazon has acknowledged that these issues are on their end and that they impact other smart home partners, not just Insteon integrations. Also, the two issues appear to share the same root cause. If you have duplicate device entries within the Alexa app, you will most likely have errors when attempting to control devices.

The Alexa group has indicated that this is high priority for them and that they will try and get a hotfix deployed this week. The fix is expected to restore the ability to control Insteon via Alexa but it will take more time to remove the duplicate entries.

We apologize for any inconvenience this has caused.

-Isaac
            Insteon Stats
            User since: 2005
            House has: 35 devices (+ 20 or more so for testing)
            Managing with: Hub 2 & Director

Comment

master reset button?

Comment

Thank you Isaac. Glad to hear the update.

Comment

Update: The Alexa team did in fact release a hotfix last week. I'd like to hear from those experiencing problems controlling Insteon via Alexa (Alexa voice control or Alexa app). Has the problem been fixed? If not, please post the error messages you are receiving from Alexa. Thank you.
                  Insteon Stats
                  User since: 2005
                  House has: 35 devices (+ 20 or more so for testing)
                  Managing with: Hub 2 & Director

Comment

Funny, I stumbled across this thread after having issues over the past few weeks. I came home today and said "Alexa, turn on the kitchen island". She responds "Sorry, something's wrong. To control xxx disable the Insteon skill...". I then asked her to turn on the kitchen high-hats and they work just fine. Based off the post above by Isaac, I checked my Alexa app and sure enough I have some duplicated devices listed. The duplicated devices are the ones giving me trouble. This all coincides with the Alexa App update that was released by Amazon a little while ago that allowed for controlling of the Insteon Devices from within the app itself. I'm sure it will get straightened out eventually. I'll play with removing the duplicate devices and see what happens.

UPDATE: After further research I found my problems were all related to scenes. Disabling and enabling the Insteon skill did not resolve the problem. All I did was to log into the Alexa web app (http://www.amazon,com/alexa), go to Smarthome --> Devices and click "Forget" next to troublesome scenes. Then run a discovery and my problems were solved, for now.

Here is what is odd. I see duplicate devices on the IOS Alexa app and do NOT see duplicate devices when logged into the Alexa website.
                    Last edited by jerryi; 11-27-2017, 06:45 PM.

Comment

Only a couple of days ago, I ran into the same error "The Insteon hub that controls your device isn't responding" which I've been able to work around by asking Alexa to discover devices. Everything works as expected once discovery completes. Definitely annoying. I will post if it happens again.

On another note, the new ability to assign an Alexa device in a particular room to a group of devices in that room for simple "lights on" commands doesn't work with Insteon devices but does with other lighting controls like Lutron Caseta. Just to clarify, what doesn't work is if you give the command "lights on" to the Alexa device that is assigned to a particular group, the Insteon devices in that group don't respond, but Lutron devices do. If the group contains only Insteon devices, it just tells you the device lights was not found.
                      Last edited by cswheelock; 11-29-2017, 02:00 PM.

Comment

Hi, new to forum, yes I also have this problem, very frustrating. Occurs often at night, rarely in the morning

Comment

Originally posted by Isaac View Post
                          Update: The Alexa team did in fact release a hotfix last week. I'd like to hear from those experiencing problems controlling Insteon via Alexa (Alexa voice control or Alexa app). Has the problem been fixed? If not, please post the error messages you are receiving from Alexa. Thank you.
                          The issue is not fixed. I continue to receive the following message at least once per day: "The Insteon hub that the [light] is connected to is not responding". I can fix the issue (temporarily) by asking the Echo to discover devices.

Comment

Insteons rating has suffered from this annoying problem that persists, and its not insteon from what i understand, because harmony and others control insteon just fine. Alexa has changed too much ,they have dropped infinity touch support which has totally screwed up my system!
                            Amazon needs to get there act together and stop messing up, or alexa is getting a divorce.

Comment

Originally posted by Isaac View Post
                              How can I know whether my Alexa voice control includes the hotfix or not? Is this system 100% cloud based, in terms of issuing commands to the hub? In my experience, the Insteon app > hub > device communication is fairly reliable, although the Alexa app success rate has varied. During this past week, I've had very few problems controlling Insteon devices from my Echo Dot using Alexa voice control, whereas previously it would only work about half of the time. Rediscovering devices would usually fix the problem temporarily, and the Insteon app would always work regardless of the voice control issues. Lately I've only seen one malfunction in controlling Insteon through voice control, and it worked fine on the second try. So for me, at least, the hotfix might be working. I would like to know whether the hotfix was actually implemented in my system, so I'd know that it wasn't just luck. Thanks!
                              Last edited by jms6612; 12-04-2017, 09:22 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by ttantalo View Post
                                Insteons rating has suffered from this annoying problem that persists, and its not insteon from what i understand, because harmony and others control insteon just fine. Alexa has changed too much ,they have dropped infinity touch support which has totally screwed up my system!
                                Amazon needs to get there act together and stop messing up, or alexa is getting a divorce.
                                This is why I don't depend on cloud services as the backbone of my system. To many hands in the pot which means the likelihood of something going wrong increases. Troubleshooting becomes more difficult as well since its hard to pinpoint the culprit. Lastly when it comes to cloud based systems, to much is out of the consumer hands. I don't mind additional features being cloud based but 98% of my use needs to be local so I don't feel like I lose anything should support be dropped

Comment

Working...
                                X