Alexa Integration Issues?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Alexa Integration Issues?

Is anyone else experiencing issues with Alexa-Insteon integration lately? I've had mine up and working perfectly since it was first released. Over the past week or so, when I ask Alexa to turn on a device, it replies with "The Insteon Hub that the <device> is connected to is not responding. Please check the Insteon Hub". When this happens, I am able to control all Insteon devices using the IOS app, so I know the hub is working. I've even moved the hub to different network/power connections. No change. After an hour or so, the Alexa integration starts working again, on its own. Very frustrating. I'm sure its the Alexa-Insteon cloud integration, but I wanted to see if anyone else was experiencing this.

Yeah it seems to lose connectivty a lot lately 2245-222 hub w alexa. Esp notable if reboot router.

Workaround i found to reconnect is in alexa app go to smarthome devices and do a search for new devices seems to get things going

i think insteon is overcapacity and their servers must time out due to too many requests at once

Comment

Shawn, I'll try that. Insteon support had me remove then re-add the skill in the Alexa app. Fixes it for a while then it reverts to the same problem. They just confirmed the issue, being reported by many users, and they have turned it over to their development team to create a fix. So at least they acknowledge the issue now.

Comment

Does anybody know if there any updates from the development team on this? It's especially frustrating when we go to bed in the evening and we can't turn bedroom lights off from bed through Alexa. Furthermore, everything is working again the next morning even though I haven't done anything!

Comment

Here’s what Insteon support sent me on October 2nd (no word since then):

Greetings!

As per the trail email, we are sorry to hear the issue that you been facing. We regret to inform you that the issue has been escalated to the developer team. Since, the same issue has been encountered by many of our customers and it is remarked as the known issue.

Hence, kindly request you to wait for the update.
          Last edited by rgnet5; 10-16-2017, 07:15 AM.

Comment

Also, the workaround that Shawn mentioned works for me. When the error happens, ask Alexa to discover devices. That gets it working temporarily until the next failure

Regards,

Raymond

Comment

Yes Yes Yes! I am having the same issues as others . Every day or two alexa says " the insteon hub is not responding" I have to "rediscover" my insteon devices in the alexa app??? I just replaced this hub with a new one seeing the old one died after a few years.
              I just sent an email off to the insteon team and I whole heartedly hope everyone else has. I have been a insteon supporter for a few years but if they do NOT fix this issue I will change my system over to a more reliable one? I personally feel that insteon or amazons cloud services are NOT communicating correctly? Also my hub light goes red here and there for no apparent reason? My interent is solid with 60 mbps speed and router, insteon hub and echo and dots are all within 30 feet of each other. I have tried changing the frquencies from 2.4 ghz to 5.0 ghz on the echo and dots but get the same results. It is definietly insteon or amazons end!!!! Not gonna purchase anymore insteon stuff until this is fixed?

Comment

I'm experiencing the same issues. Have been for over a month. Rediscovering in app works temporarily but more of a hassle than it's worth. I outfitted a few rooms in my home with dimmer switches well over a year ago. I've been quite happy with insteon but this kind of delay in fixing the issue is pushing me to re-evaluate my choice of smart home platform. I definitely won't be expanding to additional rooms.

Comment

Originally posted by Matt View Post
                  I'm experiencing the same issues. Have been for over a month. Rediscovering in app works temporarily but more of a hassle than it's worth. I outfitted a few rooms in my home with dimmer switches well over a year ago. I've been quite happy with insteon but this kind of delay in fixing the issue is pushing me to re-evaluate my choice of smart home platform. I definitely won't be expanding to additional rooms.
                  Matt! Glad you responded thank you. I attemped t to contact amazon with this issue also and get no response??? I for one am also stopping purchasing insteon devices until someone fixes this issue.
                  I do not know whos end the problem lies on, but this needs to be fixed. I have read on many forums over the net that there are MANY people with the same issues??? Once again someone is quick to get things to market to make some money but they never take the time to figure it out?
                  If anyone else has similar issues then please respond your findings here and if a "insteon moderator" is reading this please forward this to the appropriate sources ? Also your hubs suck. I got two years and two months out of mine and then it went "kaput"? Had to get another one. Thanks for reading now do something!!!

Things I have done and nothing helps, still get the same results?

Rebooted router and modem (tried this numerous times)
                  Echo and Dot's are withing ten feet of wireless router with same results
                  Changed frequencies in Alexa app 2.4mhz to 5.0mhz but get the same results
                  Erased and reloaded Alexa app on android device (phone) get same results
                  Ran speedtest on my internet (average 60mbps speed) Also did packet ping test and all is good.Not much packet loss!
                  Insteon App runs flawlessly on iphone and android phone?

One more thing! I have noticed my "new" insteon hub 2245-222 the led on the front goes "red" every once in a while and then goes back to green? When its red it still works with alexa commands and the insteon app on my iphone or android phone? Weird!!!!
                  Last edited by mikil123; 10-23-2017, 05:07 PM.

Comment

Any moderators want to post anything that is going on with this issue please??

Comment

Don’t bother contacting Amazon for support. They will just tell you to remove and reinstall the skill. That solves it temporarily but so does rediscovering devices. Insteon has acknowledged the problem on their end so I encourage those seeing this to open a case with Insteon support. They’ve acknowledged the problem on their side, but have not provided any updates on the fix. Maybe if enough of us open cases, they will escalate.

Comment

ANY MODERATORS FROM INSTEON WANT TO REPORT ANYTHING ON THIS ONGOING PROBLEM with AMAZON !
                        Or are we gonna stay silent and think its gonna go away?

Comment

Oh yeh before I forget. The "new" echo is out and it supports all kinds of "smart devices" In fact you do not need a "hub" for these devices. I find it strange that the only company I do not see on their list is "insteon"?

Comment

There is an Insteon skill. There's also an ISY skill, a HomeSeer skill, a MobiLinc skill, a Mosaic skill, a Home Control Assistant skill, a Smartenit skill and an openHAB skill, all "hubs" that control Insteon devices.
                            Message from Forum Admin: stusviews passed away in April 2018. Stu was a huge fan of Insteon and a huge presence on both the Smarthome and Insteon forums, helping thousands of us along the way (he had nearly 20,000 posts to his name). We thank him for his contributions, dedication, and passion for making the Smart Home a reality. He will truly be missed.
                            Saving energy is not always free. Be a world saver.

Comment

Originally posted by mikil123 View Post
                              Oh yeh before I forget. The "new" echo is out and it supports all kinds of "smart devices" In fact you do not need a "hub" for these devices. I find it strange that the only company I do not see on their list is "insteon"?
                              Maybe you should read up more on devices before speaking. The Amazon hub supports zigbee, Bluetooth, and wifi devices. Before commenting as if something is happing you should read up on automation and you would see that insteon nor zwave is directly supported. You would still.need the standard hubs for each ones technology.

In regards to insteon responding, this is a peer to peer forum it is rare that you will see anyone from the company on here in an official manner. If you want to reach out then you either need to email them directly or call in.
                              Last edited by lilyoyo1; 11-07-2017, 07:09 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X