Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Current state of Insteon Hub Pro

Hello,

I currently have a significant investment in Apple Homekit products. When I saw information about Insteon Hub Pro I was encouraged given the large catalog of Insteon devices. However, the initial reviews from 2015 were very negative, both in terms of firmware code quality as well as the set of supported Insteon devices. My question is whether the state of affairs has changed significantly on both fronts? I have found Homekit products to be much more stable now so I hope this translates to the Insteon Hub Pro being more stable, but I am still very worried about investing in this solution with such a limited set of supported devices (the only list of supported devices I can find is from 2015). I certainly do not want to invest in something that Insteon is not actively developing.

Thank you

Nothing beyond this list is currently supported. The list is based on what Apple allows.
    Message from Forum Admin: stusviews passed away in April 2018. Stu was a huge fan of Insteon and a huge presence on both the Smarthome and Insteon forums, helping thousands of us along the way (he had nearly 20,000 posts to his name). We thank him for his contributions, dedication, and passion for making the Smart Home a reality. He will truly be missed.
    Saving energy is not always free. Be a world saver.

Comment

If I could do it again, I would invest my money in other HomeKit devices for the time being. All of my other HomeKit devices work error-free 95% of the time, but it's a flip of the coin with all the insteon switches and fanlincs as far as reliability and functionality is concerned. I keep holding out hope that the engineers at Insteon will figure out some firmware to get the hub working the way it was intended to function.

Comment

stay away from insteon and especially the hub pro, its all garbage. The hub pro is so buggy! Yesterday is the second time now that my hub pro has just lost all my switches, it's the second time i've had to re add all my switches. Im not doing it again, im moving house soon and too embarrassed to even tell the new buyers i have "home automation", as far as the new buyer is concerned they will be nice looking switches...

Comment

I too have invested a lot of money, maybe over 1k at this point in Insteon gear and the Hub Pro. My reliability has been great actually, better than with Hue Lights (weekly one bulb fails to turn off or on when setting a scene).

Actually I have 2 requests to make Insteon perfect for me and many others:

1) Support HomeKit’s “group” command, once you control more than 10 devices in one bridge, Apple/HomeKit will send one large grouped command vs 10+ individual ones. If you get a “No response” error and are controlling a lot of switches (like all off at night) this is why.

2) Expose your Keypads as programmable switches to HomeKit. Please! This has been part of HomeKit for over 6 months. Philips Hue is releasing this in August. This enables an Insteon keypad buttons to trigger a HomeKit scene. Ideally in some sort of togglable way.

A third would just be keeping up with new devices supported by HomeKit. But give me those two above, things would be so awesome. I have 4 Keypads now that are basically worthless. At one time the HK page on Insteon said they buttons on the would be eventually supported, not sure if it does anymore.

I have noticed Insteon isn’t on Apple’s HomeKit page anymore which is a bit concerning.

Any thoughts Insteon?

Comment

Bump bump

Comment

This is a User to User style forum.
              You may not get anything official from Insteon here.

Comment

I switched away from the homekit hub because of some of the issues mentioned above. I lost all my devices randomly. Adding devices back doesn't work well too. I believe the only way to add it is to do it with a button press. Has there been any improvement in iOS 11? It has been removed from Apple's list of compatibility but it shows on HomeKitty. https://homekitty.world/accessory?name=Insteon%20Hub

Comment

I picked up a Hub Pro this week and have found that it generally works well. That said, there are quirks that have led me to have a couple of requests/inquiries (hopefully someone from Insteon who can address this is reading!):

1. Adding a single unsupported device renders the Hub Pro unresponsive and it must be hard reset (factory defaults, if you prefer) to recover it. This is unacceptable behavior for such an appliance and it should be fixed immediately. If a device is unsupported by the Hub Pro, it should simply be ignored by the hub and/or HomeKit. I was able to reproduce this behavior consistently every time I tried -- and I tried it at least five times to pin down what was going on.

2. Why is the Venstar thermostat adapter unsupported? This device is what led me to discover the issue I described above. How is this device different from Insteon's thermostat such that it is not/cannot be supported? It's a thermostat: heat/cool/fan on/off and report the current and set temperatures. This is standard behavior for any thermostat and I find it next to impossible to believe that it falls outside of what HomeKit/Apple officially supports. In any event, I have a couple of these adapters and they work very well -- I have no need or desire to replace them. They should be added to the supported devices for the Hub Pro.

Thanks!

Comment

This is a peer based forum as stated earlier so it is extremely rare to have an insteon employee comment on here. You'd be better off contacting them directly with your issue since they may not see your post.

​​​​The venstar adapter has been discontinued for some time which may be part of why it is unsupported. I highly doubt they would take the time to build compatibility for an old device which is no longer sold.

Comment

Insteon Labs has no control over what is supported and what is not. That decision lies with Apple. Here's a list of devices that Apple has allowed. Insteon Labs will continue to request support for new, as well as current devices.
                      Message from Forum Admin: stusviews passed away in April 2018. Stu was a huge fan of Insteon and a huge presence on both the Smarthome and Insteon forums, helping thousands of us along the way (he had nearly 20,000 posts to his name). We thank him for his contributions, dedication, and passion for making the Smart Home a reality. He will truly be missed.
                      Saving energy is not always free. Be a world saver.

Comment

I've had the Hub Pro from the beginning, getting it in Oct. of 2014. I thought they were a safe choice considering they were early in to Homekit and had a pretty large product catalog. I was aware up front which products were supported, but also told that other products would be added. That hasn't happened. I continued to invest in new switches and plugs, fanlincs, etc... I even bought a few of their HD cameras in hopes that they might be supported later. I've always had issues with Insteon, but they were manageable. Customer Support was always great, but over time I have become convinced that Insteon isn't going to support HomeKit in the long run. I have had an issue for the past year where my Hub Pro devices won't work at all as connected devices for HomeKit as I keep getting an error message that the Hub has stopped responding. Apparently this is a known issue with AT&T and their internet service. Insteon's suggestion was to switch to the Hub II (which I already own and use for the cameras) and use an Amazon Echo to control the devices. I'm not faulting Insteon, not really. Their products on the Hub II work great and many of my switches and plugs have already been relinked to the Hub II. I know some people may fault Apple for these issues, but other HomeKit products work great (I have ZERO issues with my Lutron Casseta switches and very few with Phillips Hue devices, or iHome or iDevices add-on outlets). It bothers me that Insteon hasn't added any new products or updated their software in a very long time, but it seems dishonest to still sell the Hub Pro or market is as a HomeKit product when it works so poorly. It only damages their brand and in a way the HomeKit eco system. I still hope that something positive will come out of this. When I ask, I'm just told that Insteon doesn't comment on future plans.
                        Last edited by jhdick01; 12-06-2017, 08:58 AM.

Comment

• jhdick01
                          jhdick01 commented
                          Editing a comment
                          The HubPro has been working well since the beginning of this year, which sucks since the HubPro has been discontinued now. Wondering if Insteon has given up on HomeKit or if they are planning to add support to the Hub that supports all their other devices.

My Hub pro finds all four devices (2 lamplinc dimmer switches and 2 togglelinc switches) but misidentifies toggle switches as dimmers, and one does not respond to Hub. It DOES respond to remotelinc and home control assistant running on PC. I don’t understand how everything except the Hub pro can control this device. It IS in a separate garage, but if two devices can find it, why not the Hub?

Comment

Originally posted by stusviews View Post
                          Insteon Labs has no control over what is supported and what is not. That decision lies with Apple. Here's a list of devices that Apple has allowed. Insteon Labs will continue to request support for new, as well as current devices.
                          I do not understand this posting. Apple provides a home kit development platform (https://developer.apple.com/homekit/). Are there limitation imposed by the development platform that inhibit the addition of new devices? A quick look at the home kit documentation shows wide range of services for device query and set command. Does the Hub not bridge received query and set commands? Why is it not possible to update the Hub Pro firmware to support more devices and receive a wider range of home kit service and characteristics?

Comment

Looking at the Insteon site I can no longer find a page with the HUB Pro or the homekit hub. I guess they finally gave up.

Comment

Working...
                            X