Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

HUB died...purchased new one, but how to configure?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My hub died too and is under warranty until the 14th of this month. But that will only save me the cost of a new one, not the hassle of the re-programming. I'm so sick of Insteon's basic design failure. To require a working device to remove references to it from the network is so short sighted. I replace units when they break... when they can no longer function... they CAN'T remove themselves. Ugh... what a mess.

Comment

Originally posted by TFitzpatri8
      Contact tech support before you do anything crazy. Sounds like they have a repair program available now, so if they can repair it you can avoid having to reset and relink everything.
      Y'all are freaking JEAN-yus-es!!! I went down to a little electronics store (eStuff) we have in our little town of Sebastopol (population 25,000) and asked for a 47 micro-farad 50 volt end connector electrolytic and they HAD it. They have drawers of components. I soldered it in and it's ALIVE and talking on my old account. Woohoo! Thank you so much everybody. BTW, the old cap looked obviously fried. "It's nice when diagnosis is easy.", the guy behind the counter observed when I showed him the board.

I've got about 35 devices on my network and that includes controlling the power for many far-flung components in my home theater... amps, electronic crossovers. I've also got lighting effects programmed to be gentle on the eyes when a movie is over.

Thank you, thank you, thank you... I'm thrilled.

Comment

Originally posted by erkq View Post

Y'all are freaking JEAN-yus-es!!! I went down to a little electronics store (eStuff) we have in our little town of Sebastopol (population 25,000) and asked for a 47 micro-farad 50 volt end connector electrolytic and they HAD it. They have drawers of components. I soldered it in and it's ALIVE and talking on my old account. Woohoo! Thank you so much everybody. BTW, the old cap looked obviously fried. "It's nice when diagnosis is easy.", the guy behind the counter observed when I showed him the board.

I've got about 35 devices on my network and that includes controlling the power for many far-flung components in my home theater... amps, electronic crossovers. I've also got lighting effects programmed to be gentle on the eyes when a movie is over.

Thank you, thank you, thank you... I'm thrilled.
        erkq .... What capacitor turned out to be the issue for you? Was it C7 ?

Comment

Just remember one thing.
          The HUB uses a switching power supply.
          A capacitor rated to be used in a switching power supply should be used. A general purpose one will not work well and may fail in a short time.

Comment

Originally posted by gtwest088 View Post

erkq .... What capacitor turned out to be the issue for you? Was it C7 ?
            Yes, C7. They want the response to be 10 characters, so...

Comment

Yes, replacing C7 with 47uF 50v is what fixed my Hub 2245-222 (rev 1.13 4814) (still working after 10 days)
              The newer hardware Rev 2.3 4916 Hub replaced C7 with a Surface Mount Device (claimed to be 10uF in post http://forum.insteon.com/forum/main-...ing-on?p=95036) AND added C75 100uF 50v (picture attached).
              Replacing C7 in an older hardware revision Hub with 100uF 50v should also work.
              Some additional details here http://forum.insteon.com/forum/main-...g-down?p=98801

Comment

Replacing C7 worked for a while. They are selling units with a known problem they should make it good.

Comment

While I'm glad there are ways to repair the hub and that the newer ones are better designed but, for me, that's not the big deal. The big deal is that you have no backup of your configuration. Hardware dies - that's life. I have to give kudos to Insteon support who sent me a new hub even though mine was out of warranty. That was awesome of them. HOWEVER - not being able to restore my configuration is a huge issue to me! Sure I only have 10 devices now but I have been looking at getting at least 3 more switches but now I'm not sure. It took me a couple hours of research and about an hour of data input to resurrect my current system. It will only get worse if I grow it. Insteon NEEDS to find a way to backup/restore a hub. If they do that I'll stick with them for the long haul. If not - I'm already researching Homeseer, Vera, Wink, and Echo Plus. I don't want to move away but I need to be able to protect my setup.
                  Proud tinkerer with Insteon Hub, Switches, Dimmers, Fanlincs, etc. Plus some Amazon Echos to make things more fun!
                  I blog about smart home stuff too!

Comment

This thread was perfect! My lights have been flickering for the past few weeks on Insteon traffic, and then yesterday the hub died. I was dreading the migration process, but found this, replaced C7 and now the hub is back up and running! Now to cancel my Smarthome hub order...

Comment

I just wanted to put my two cents in on this thread. Seriously, I have repaired 4 or 5 hub 2s (and a PLM or two). Failure is always the same two caps in the power supply switcher circuit. The newer units have had a mod done to make failure less likely going forward. I worked with Jesus on the updated values (before he left) to get them correct. The repair is simple if you have basic desoldering and soldering tools and skills. Don’t drive yourself crazy looking for low ESR caps or anything special..... the ones that “work” are available on Amazon. PM me if you need help or just want me to do it for you. Takes less than 15 minutes start to finish and saves a huge amount of time because you maintain the same hub address.
                      Charlie O. iPhone XS MAX / iPad Pro 3 - 178 Insteon devices

Comment

Mine fixed -C7 cap replaced. Now I have 99 more -about 200 years worth!

Comment

Replacing the C7 Cap fixed my Hub II as well. I don't know if I needed a low ESR part, but I selected one anyway. This is the part I ordered:

https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/667-EEU-FR1H470

Comment

My hub was about 2.5 years old and recently died. I was able to order replacement for C7 capacitator and switch it out per previous suggestions and it seems to be fine now. This was huge advantage over having to contact Insteon and delete previous account, create new account, set up devices again in a new hub, etc.

Comment

Another Insteon user that had their hub stop working. Thanks to this post and a C7 replacement I am back in business. Thanks

Comment

Another C7 success. Quick trip to Fry's and I found a replacement rated for 105C (VHT) for a $1. Unfortunately, I left with 10 other items, probably making this one of the more expensive success stories.
                                http://www.newark.com/nte-electronic...tor/dp/33C7130

Comment

Working...
                                X