Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

HUB died...purchased new one, but how to configure?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HUB died...purchased new one, but how to configure?

UPDATE MESSAGE FROM INSTEON:
    If you've come here because your Insteon Hub (2245-222) is unresponsive/dead, we now offer a service to migrate your hub account and device links to a new hub even if you are out of warranty. Email with your hub account info to hubfix@insteon.com and ask for a hub migration. For more information visit this page: https://www.insteon.com/support-know...ew-insteon-hub.

=========================
    So my 2245-222 Hub that I have owned for 2 years and 5 months died. I wondered why my schedules weren't working and found that the Hub had no light. I switched outlets, and then checked the cord with a multi-meter, which was fine. So I purchased a new 2245-222 Hub...

I assumed that I could just plug this one in, use the app on my Android phone to find it and log in and it would automatically sync everything and I'd be back in business. But I couldn't get the app to recognize the Hub. It would fail to find it on the very last step of the login process.

So I did a bit of searching and found an Insteon article (http://www.insteon.com/support-knowl...ew-insteon-hub) that basically says I have to do the unthinkable...remove all my scenes, remove all my devices and links and even DELETE my account and then start all over!!!! Say what??!!

Not going to happen. I have over 10+ years worth of Insteon setup of all kinds of devices, all over my entire house; some FanLincs that are buried in the ceiling, and some micro dimmer modules that are buried under insulation in the attic (inside of junction boxes). And, everything works great except for the Hub dying and my schedules, and not being able to use the App.

I sent an email to support about my dilemma, but have not heard back yet (it's been almost 2 days). The latest threads I found here on the topic are over a year old, so I figured maybe someone has updated info, and this is no longer the method to replace the Hub?

Please tell me it ain't so...
    Last edited by Isaac; 02-04-2019, 09:19 AM.

Good luck. Lots of people seem to be dealing with dead Hubs lately (mine died about a week ago). The best option I've seen so far is Charlieo's recent post about replacing some of the electrical components to fix a known cause of this. If that works, then you have your old hub back and no need to buy or configure a new one. I plan to try this as an intermediate step, but honestly this is signaling to me that its time to start a painful transition away from Insteon (or possibly bite the bullet and finally get an ISY, but I just can't justify the cost of that simply to allow easy link table maintenance and device swaps).

Comment

It may be a coincidence, but didn't these all die right after an firmware update?

Comment

Originally posted by svento View Post
        Good luck. Lots of people seem to be dealing with dead Hubs lately (mine died about a week ago). The best option I've seen so far is Charlieo's recent post about replacing some of the electrical components to fix a known cause of this. If that works, then you have your old hub back and no need to buy or configure a new one. I plan to try this as an intermediate step, but honestly this is signaling to me that its time to start a painful transition away from Insteon (or possibly bite the bullet and finally get an ISY, but I just can't justify the cost of that simply to allow easy link table maintenance and device swaps).
        do you have a link to this post? My hub died today and I'd like to take a crack at fixing it before i have to go through setting everything up again.

Comment

Electrolytic capacitors seem to be a weal spot for Insteon devices. Especially one with the small AC powered switching power supply. Most go a few months past the two year warranty.
          Like the 2413 PLM, Hardware V2 2443 Access Points even the I/OLincs.
          I have the list of replacement caps for the 2413 PLM and V2 Access Points.
          I can open up a 2445-222 HUB and see what it uses.

Comment

Originally posted by BLH View Post
            Electrolytic capacitors seem to be a weal spot for Insteon devices. Especially one with the small AC powered switching power supply. Most go a few months past the two year warranty.
            Like the 2413 PLM, Hardware V2 2443 Access Points even the I/OLincs.
            I have the list of replacement caps for the 2413 PLM and V2 Access Points.
            I can open up a 2445-222 HUB and see what it uses.
            Oh wait - if there's a two year warranty then mine should still be under warranty. I thought it was a 1 year warranty.

Comment

The 2245-222 HUB Manual indicates a two year warranty.

My last post did have a mistype in the HUB part number.

Comment

I have 2 hubs that have died in the past 2 months, interestingly after the firmware update, both just outside 2 year warranty, searched for Charlieo's post about fix but do not see it, can you send a link? Read elsewhere that C7 capacitor is a problem, but also saw maybe C4.

Comment

For the 2245-222 HUB II.
                  The older 2242-222 HUB has different C designations.

C7 looks like it maybe in the Zero Crossing circuit. It could be the issue.
                  I always suspect the two in the Switching Power Supply. C11 and C13 may also be a problem. As the 2413S PLM is famous for the two capacitors failing in the switching supply. The HUB looks similar.

I would make sure C11 and C13 where low ESR or rated for Switching Supplies.
                  Last edited by BLH; 07-31-2017, 03:17 AM.

Comment

Thank you, yes Hub II. I didn't mind replacing one hub, but now the other, I think this is going to be a common thing, they appear to be junk, so I would like to know how to repair instead. Cost is one thing but reset-up is sooooo involved too. Wish I could find the mentioned post by Charlieo to see what worked for him, but forum search reveals nothing.

Comment

Mine died like 2 weeks ago as well. Weird these sudden deaths. I have had no luck trying to get the new hub setup with my existing account. Waiting for a response from support as well. I'm guessing in the end the only way to get it working will be to setup a new account. Stupid.

Comment

My Hub (2245-222 HUB II) died last week (3 years in service) and I have a large installation. I was able to fix it by replacing C7, a 47uF 50V capacitor. The offending cap was made by HYEC and was only measuring 2.5uF with a high ESR. The other caps in the switching regulator circuit appeared to be OK. I hope this helps all those that have the problem as well!

Comment

Mine died 2 months and 2 years. I got an RMA for free (even it is 2 months pass warranty). Now I have asked support how to proceed, but have not got reply in 3 days. I guess I'll have to use a new account. Luckily I only have 2 switches and 2 wall plugs. But I have to create scenes again, which is painful.

Comment

Sad when the information is front of them and people still don't take the time to read it.

Comment

@Tfitzatri8, lilyoyo1
                              I am aware of the migration process, which does not apply to a dead hub. The only way is like I did, ask support for help or create a new account. When this one fails again, I will attempt to repair myself. I am handy with soldering. But, when I call them, they offer a new hub which is fine with me.

Comment

Working...
                              X