Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

HUB died...purchased new one, but how to configure?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

@Tfitzatri8, lilyoyo1
    I am aware of the migration process, which does not apply to a dead hub. The only way is like I did, ask support for help or create a new account. When this one fails again, I will attempt to repair myself. I am handy with soldering. But, when I call them, they offer a new hub which is fine with me.

Comment

My mistake, I should have pointed out the Basic Troubleshooting at the bottom of the page. You are right, it really isn’t obvious unless you read all the way through.

It says if you no longer have the Hub, or you can no longer log into your Hub, then you will need to reach support so they can delete the associated account. For larger installations, they can also generate a list of device addresses to make it easier to add equipment to new hardware.

Knowing that wouldn’t have made the time between request and response go by any quicker, but it might have reassured you that you were at least on the right path.

Comment

My hub died too and is under warranty until the 14th of this month. But that will only save me the cost of a new one, not the hassle of the re-programming. I'm so sick of Insteon's basic design failure. To require a working device to remove references to it from the network is so short sighted. I replace units when they break... when they can no longer function... they CAN'T remove themselves. Ugh... what a mess.

Comment

Contact tech support before you do anything crazy. Sounds like they have a repair program available now, so if they can repair it you can avoid having to reset and relink everything.
          Last edited by TFitzpatri8; 12-07-2017, 09:13 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by TFitzpatri8 View Post
            Contact tech support before you do anything crazy. Sounds like they have a repair program available now, so if they can repair it you can avoid having to reset and relink everything.
            Y'all are freaking JEAN-yus-es!!! I went down to a little electronics store (eStuff) we have in our little town of Sebastopol (population 25,000) and asked for a 47 micro-farad 50 volt end connector electrolytic and they HAD it. They have drawers of components. I soldered it in and it's ALIVE and talking on my old account. Woohoo! Thank you so much everybody. BTW, the old cap looked obviously fried. "It's nice when diagnosis is easy.", the guy behind the counter observed when I showed him the board.

I've got about 35 devices on my network and that includes controlling the power for many far-flung components in my home theater... amps, electronic crossovers. I've also got lighting effects programmed to be gentle on the eyes when a movie is over.

Thank you, thank you, thank you... I'm thrilled.

Comment

Originally posted by erkq View Post

Y'all are freaking JEAN-yus-es!!! I went down to a little electronics store (eStuff) we have in our little town of Sebastopol (population 25,000) and asked for a 47 micro-farad 50 volt end connector electrolytic and they HAD it. They have drawers of components. I soldered it in and it's ALIVE and talking on my old account. Woohoo! Thank you so much everybody. BTW, the old cap looked obviously fried. "It's nice when diagnosis is easy.", the guy behind the counter observed when I showed him the board.

I've got about 35 devices on my network and that includes controlling the power for many far-flung components in my home theater... amps, electronic crossovers. I've also got lighting effects programmed to be gentle on the eyes when a movie is over.

Thank you, thank you, thank you... I'm thrilled.
              erkq .... What capacitor turned out to be the issue for you? Was it C7 ?

Comment

Just remember one thing.
                The HUB uses a switching power supply.
                A capacitor rated to be used in a switching power supply should be used. A general purpose one will not work well and may fail in a short time.

Comment

Originally posted by gtwest088 View Post

erkq .... What capacitor turned out to be the issue for you? Was it C7 ?
                  Yes, C7. They want the response to be 10 characters, so...

Comment

Yes, replacing C7 with 47uF 50v is what fixed my Hub 2245-222 (rev 1.13 4814) (still working after 10 days)
                    The newer hardware Rev 2.3 4916 Hub replaced C7 with a Surface Mount Device (claimed to be 10uF in post http://forum.insteon.com/forum/main-...ing-on?p=95036) AND added C75 100uF 50v (picture attached).
                    Replacing C7 in an older hardware revision Hub with 100uF 50v should also work.
                    Some additional details here http://forum.insteon.com/forum/main-...g-down?p=98801

Comment

Working...
                    X