Hub Configurations backed up?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hub Configurations backed up?

On my ISY, I had the opportunity to backup configurations whenever I made a change.

Does the Hub back up the link-tables to the cloud? Is there an easy restore option if I have to replace the Hub?

Thanks.

There are no backup options for the hub. If you replace yours, you need to set a new one up

Comment

The cloud maintains a back up.
      Message from Forum Admin: stusviews passed away in April 2018. Stu was a huge fan of Insteon and a huge presence on both the Smarthome and Insteon forums, helping thousands of us along the way (he had nearly 20,000 posts to his name). We thank him for his contributions, dedication, and passion for making the Smart Home a reality. He will truly be missed.
      Saving energy is not always free. Be a world saver.

Comment

Two different answers so far - does anybody know as a fact?

I'm worried because I've just switched from ISY to HUB because of the better UI & usability. I liked that the Hub is cloud connected, and naturally assumed this would involve a backup service.

It does not take long for home automation configurations to get highly complex - especially if you use devices like Keypadlinc's - the number of scenes required jumps quickly. Recreating this environment on a new Hub would involve Hard-Resetting every device and recreating all the scenes. Which is not something I plan on doing again.

I would also think such a feature would be relatively easy to implement.

So - Is there a way to restore my current configuration to a new Hub should I need to procure one?

Comment

What I stated is fact. The hub does not have backup capabilities. If you replace yours you will need to set everything back up again. It's configuration is tied to your account which is tied to your specific hub.

Comment

I think both are technically correct, but what lilyoyo1 describes is most accurate. The cloud maintains a configuration backup, as long as your account is active, but there is no way for the user to access or restore it. I went thru this a while back. According to the tech support folks, if you have to change hubs, or do anything to start over, they (Tech Support) can access the backup and provide you with a list of all your devices, including the device ID numbers, so you can manually enter everything again without having to do device discovery, and push all the "set" buttons on every device. So that does make it bit easier, and you don't necessarily have to hard reset every device again. But this does not include scenes, which you have to setup again. But there is definitely no option to "restore from backup" anywhere in the UI. I've been thru this twice, and its painful. I hope this helps.

Comment

So this thread is helpful and discouraging all at the same time. Yesterday, my hub stopped responding. I went down in the basement to check on it and the power light was off. Several power cycles and resets later I called it "dead". Amazon had one in stock (Saturday night, mind you) and best price anywhere so I ordered it for next day delivery (free, with Prime...) and it showed up about 15 minutes ago.

Now the bad part: after reading this thread I now realize that I cannot simply put in a new hub and restore settings from old one (even though I can access my "cloud" account and see everything, no way to get a back up or worse, restore it to the new hub. I will post an update as soon as I go through the painful process of restoring my new hub to my old functionality.

UPDATE: I just connected to http://connect.insteon.com and logged in. I used IE to log in and then selected "view source" and all of my device info including ID (in hex of course) was visible and even my IP address, port and all camera info. So this will be a help to at least be able to see the data in HTTP format, then past it into a text editor and extract some bits.
              Last edited by zimbrich; 06-04-2017, 05:13 PM.

Comment

Working...
              X