Insteon Hub connection w/ new routers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Insteon Hub connection w/ new routers

First time poster, hoping anyone can chime in!

I have an Insteon Hub 2245-222 and have been using without problems for over 8 months. I have installed over 60 devices to date. This weekend I replaced my Asus router RT-AC68U with a new Linksys router. I set the same DHCP reservation in the new router for the Insteon Hub (both give out 192.168.1.118 address to the hub) as the old one. Everything in the entire house, and all wireless devices were able to access the internet or cloud services without issues. However, the Insteon HUB was not. Solid RED LED on top.

I performed a network reset (3 taps of the connect button on the back of the hub). No help. I performed a complete network restart with modem, router, and hub). No help. I was able to briefly get it connected but then it disconnected quickly. I have a solid RED LED on the hub

Setup the old Asus router ---- Immediately connects to the Insteon servers without even resetting the HUB again. Green light within 30 seconds of plugging in network cable.

SO I returned the new Linksys router and I bought a newer ASUS router. I backed up the configuration from the old one and restored it to the new thinking this a no brainer. The hub will again NOT connect to the Insteon servers through the new ASUS router. I tried everything again, no help. The instant I went back to the older router – bam, connected without issue.

I have spoke with Insteon about any sort of special setup, or reset, and they said none is necessary. I have tried to forward port 25105 (even though it is not necessary with thus Hub) and it has not helped. So any new router, I can not connect the Hub to the Insteon Service. As soon as I go to the old, it connects immediately. And keep in mind one of the new routers was a newer version of my old Asus router that I actually restored with my current configuration to preserve any settings. Nothing will connect it and Insteon does not have any suggestions.

Even when I have a solid red LED when i check connect.insteon.com/getinfo.asp I have a solid IP address (192.168.1.118:25105) with an accurate internet IP.

Is there anyone out here that can help me?? I don’t know what to do to get to a new router. I have to be missing something.

What type of computer do you have (e.g., Windows, Mac, other)?
    Message from Forum Admin: stusviews passed away in April 2018. Stu was a huge fan of Insteon and a huge presence on both the Smarthome and Insteon forums, helping thousands of us along the way (he had nearly 20,000 posts to his name). We thank him for his contributions, dedication, and passion for making the Smart Home a reality. He will truly be missed.
    Saving energy is not always free. Be a world saver.

Comment

I'm configuring the routers from a hard wired Mac. I also have a windows 7 laptop.

Comment

From the Windows computer, open a Coomand Prompt and type (after the >) ping 192.168.1.118, then press <enter>. What is the result?
        Message from Forum Admin: stusviews passed away in April 2018. Stu was a huge fan of Insteon and a huge presence on both the Smarthome and Insteon forums, helping thousands of us along the way (he had nearly 20,000 posts to his name). We thank him for his contributions, dedication, and passion for making the Smart Home a reality. He will truly be missed.
        Saving energy is not always free. Be a world saver.

Comment

This issue can be caused by a combination of variables.

You are setting up your router with DCHP reservations and potentially other custom settings. In order to determine the cause of the problem, I would suggest the following:
          1. Reset the new router’s configuration so that all custom settings are removed. (We want to insure that there are no address reservations, port forwarding rules, etc.)
          2. Connect the hub to the router and see if using DHCP resolves the issue.
          3. If the hub is still not connecting to the internet, temporarily lower or turn off all security settings on the router.
          4. If the hub is able to connect, we know that the new router’s settings are blocking the Hub's connection paradigm and the you would have to resolve the issue on the routers end according to its features and capabilities.

If the hub is still not able to connect, it is likely that the combination of new router, ISP and/or Hub's communication methods are currently not compatible. If this is the case, please provide the following information so that we may research the issue on our end:
          • Router model, make
          • Router firmware version
          • Internet service provider
          • Internet service type (DSL, cable, fiber, cellular, etc.)
          • Network topography (is the hub connected directly to the router? Are there multiple routers, any switches on the network, etc.)
          In the event that none of the above steps help you resolve the issue, a temporary workaround (albeit not very elegant) might be to keep the hub connected to the old router while and all of your other devices connected to the new router.

Comment

Thanks for the ideas! Let me try these things tomorrow and I will report back for sure.

Comment

Morning all. So just an update:

With regards to pinging the Hub. It worked on ALL routers I tried regardless of the ability to connect to the Insteon cloud or not (i.e. red or green light).

With regards to models. The following models (coupled with my particular internet provider Armstrong Cable out of Western PA/Pittsburgh) would NOT allow the hub to connect to the servers/cloud: Linksys EA9500, Asus RT-AC88U (even when completely reset), and Netgear AC5300. My old Asus RT-AC68U would allow immediate connection/green light. All testing was done with Hub connected directly to the router. I did not get firmware versions...they were all out of the box except the AC88U which i updated immediately being a former Asus user.

So I have abandon tradition name routers (Asus, Linksys, Netgear). I went out on a limb and tried one of the new mesh networks and I connected that to a 16 port gigabit switch. I got an instant connection with the same hub.

So all in all, it's been a painful upgrade process. I don't understand why this is happening with the new routers and the issue is only with the Insteon Hub. At any rate, I've updated but do not have any answers as to why those routers do not work. Insteon/Smarthome was not any help....just incompatible was their answer.

Thanks for the help and recommendations earlier!

Comment

This is interesting because I have a Verzion wireless router and up until last may it would connect with the router with a cat 5 cable . Late one night in May the Insteon Hub quit . After that I could not get it to connect with cable or with WPS . I spoke with Verzion technical support level 2 . He told me that a new security patch was applied and that’s why it would no longer connect . All my other devices connect with wps but not Insteon . He suggested that Insteon would need to up date it security and go wireless or there would be more of the same situation .

Comment

Working...
                X