Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can I use Hub to manage on / off based on sensor and time of day?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can I use Hub to manage on / off based on sensor and time of day?

Hi I have the following use case and am not sure whether the Hub is able to manage or I need to use HouseLinc.
    Scenario is for a bathroom which has the following:
    Recessed Ceiling PIR Sensor - detects someone entering the bathroom and turns on bathroom ceiling LED.
    Micro Dimmer - controlled by 2487S On/Off Keypad to turn on / off / dim bathroom ceiling LED.
    Micro On/Off - controlled by local 2487S On/Off keypad to turn on / off vanity mirror's light.
    Local 2487S On/Off Keypad - provides control of various bathroom loads such as bathroom ceiling LED, vanity mirror's light, fan, towel warmer, etc.
    Remote 2487S On/Off Keypad - provides bed side control of bed room and bathroom ceiling LED.

The logic requirement for the bathroom ceiling LED is as follow and summarized in table below.
    Daytime - LED is off at 0% output unless someone walks in at which point it'd be 100% output.
    Evening - LED is dimmed to 10% output providing night light unless someone walks in at which point it'd be 70% output.

Can someone advise the following.
    1) Is this all possible and no issues?
    2) Can this be programmed entirely by using the Hub only?
    3) If HouseLinc is required for initial setup, can the settings be transferred to the Hub and managed by the Hub?
    4) If HouseLinc is required and Hub can't be used, does this mean HouseLinc needs to be running 24/7?
    5) Has anyone tried using OpenHab with the PLM binding to manage something like this?
    Time Sensor Wall Switch Bed Switch Result Scene Name Scene Trigger Event Trigger Event Condition Event Action
    Day Off Nothing Nothing 0% Day Sunrise NA NA NA
    Day Off Nothing On 100% Day Sunrise Bedswitch On Day Scene 100%
    Day Off Nothing Off 0% Day Sunrise Bedswitch Off Day Scene 0%
    Day Off On Nothing 100% Day Sunrise Wall Switch On Day Scene 100%
    Day Off Off Nothing 0% Day Sunrise Wall Switch Off Day Scene 0%
    Day On Nothing Nothing 100% Day Sunrise PIR Sensor On Day Scene 100%
    Day Off Nothing Nothing 0% Day Sunrise PIR Sensor Off Day Scene 0%
    Night Off Nothing Nothing 10% Night Sunset NA NA NA
    Night Off Nothing On 70% Night Sunset Bedswitch On Night Scene 70%
    Night Off Nothing Off 10% Night Sunset Bedswitch Off Night Scene 10%
    Night Off On Nothing 70% Night Sunset Wall Switch On Night Scene 70%
    Night Off Off Nothing 10% Night Sunset Wall Switch Off Night Scene 10%
    Night On Nothing Nothing 70% Night Sunset PIR Sensor On Night Scene 70%
    Night Off Nothing Nothing 10% Night Sunset PIR Sensor Off Night Scene 10%
    Last edited by titusc; 06-01-2016, 06:42 AM.

The Hub is an entry level device and does not support conditions. If you want to create conditionals, then software or an ISY is the way to go.
    Message from Forum Admin: stusviews passed away in April 2018. Stu was a huge fan of Insteon and a huge presence on both the Smarthome and Insteon forums, helping thousands of us along the way (he had nearly 20,000 posts to his name). We thank him for his contributions, dedication, and passion for making the Smart Home a reality. He will truly be missed.
    Saving energy is not always free. Be a world saver.

Comment

This really is disappointing because I think the Hub is able to do 99% of the job, supports 230VAC where I live, and best of all it has the best stock interface among CasleOS, HomeSeer, OpenHab, ISY. But CastleOS, HomeSeer, and ISY are all off for consideration as they all depend on the Insteon PLM.

BLH mentioned something about a modified Hub or ISY device on the following thread. I'll investigate more and carry out the discussion on that thread.
      http://forum.insteon.com/forum/main-.../86113-openhab

Comment

stusviews, actually if we relax the requirement of having the light to turn on only to 70% rather than 100% during night time we may be able to do everything with just the Hub. I think the following are possible. Can you confirm if 1) & 3) are correct and advise on 2)?
        1) Hub turns off lights after sunrise for day time and turns on lights to 10% after sunset for evening time.
        2) When someone walks in the bathroom, the PIR sensor would act as a latching switch for the Micro Dimmer, triggering it to turn on 100% regardless whether it is 0% previously (day time) or 10% previously (evening time). Now the question is when someone walks out and the PIR sensor turns off, would the Micro Dimmer revert to the previous level it was at (ie 0% day time and 10% night time)? I think the resume dim feature is only for the case for the light to come on at a previous dimmed level, but not to go off to a previous dimmed level.
        3) Remote keypads turns on / off (single tap) or dimm (press and hold) when used. The catch without using ISY is we can't program it to revert to 0% (day time) or 10% (evening time) when either the off (single tap) or dimm (press and hold) is triggered. It'd just simply go off to 0% and this is a shortfall we have to live with without using ISY that can handle conditions.

Thanks.

Comment

1. That can be done.
          2. No matter the state of the Micro Dimmer, the Motion Sensor wilt turn the light on to whatever you specified in the scene. When the Motion Sensor times out, the light turn off. The light will turn on again when motion is sensed.
          3. Without a more sophisticated Insteon manager, a secondary button Off press can send only an off and Dim can send a dim command only.
          Message from Forum Admin: stusviews passed away in April 2018. Stu was a huge fan of Insteon and a huge presence on both the Smarthome and Insteon forums, helping thousands of us along the way (he had nearly 20,000 posts to his name). We thank him for his contributions, dedication, and passion for making the Smart Home a reality. He will truly be missed.

Comment

Originally posted by stusviews View Post
            2. No matter the state of the Micro Dimmer, the Motion Sensor wilt turn the light on to whatever you specified in the scene. When the Motion Sensor times out, the light turn off. The light will turn on again when motion is sensed.
            3. Without a more sophisticated Insteon manager, a secondary button Off press can send only an off and Dim can send a dim command only.
            So for 2) the problem is even if the Micro Dimmer was previously set to 10%, as soon as the PIR sensor detects someone having walked in and activate via the sense wire as a latch switch, the Micro Dimmer will turn 100% on and completely forgets it was previously at 10%. If this is the case can we work around this by setting a number of scheduled event to turn the light to 10% between the sunset and sunrise hours? For example, if the sunset occurs at 19:00 and the sunrise occurs at 07:00 T+1, and if we want the lights to revert to 10% with a maximum wait of 5 min we have (60 min / 5 min) * 12 hrs = 144 scheduled events? This should also solve the problem for 3) by enabling someone to turn the light full off from a remote keypad, wait for a max 5 min before one of the scheduled events turn it back on to 10%?

This is super ugly but I see no way around without a 230V 50Hz PLM available for the ISY / Indigo / CastleOS / OpenHab.

Comment

I have no idea if the Hub is capable of that many schedules

Comment

Okay this inability of not being able to use conditional on the Hub is a very troubling issue. Any idea if this is something that can be supported in the future with a newer firmware (field upgradable firmware is one of the new things for 2245) or the hardware is so basic that it can't support this?

Comment

The Hub is a low cost entry level device. The ability to process conditionals may be a basic task, but it's not easily implemented without driving up the cost (e.g., more memory, more processing power, more complex algorithms, etc.). If that's a requirement, then you need a more sophisticated Insteon manager such as software or an ISY.

Comment

stusviews okay if that's the case I'm happy to either see a more advanced model of the Hub (I really think the Insteon UX interfaces are superbly designed), or have a PLM that can support 230V 50Hz . But neither are available unfortunately.

Comment

Working...
                    X