Cannot connect to Hub

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cannot connect to Hub

I've been into home automation for years but never using something like Insteon so I'm having some noob finger trouble.

I have a 2242-222 Hub and a 2633-442 ON/OFF module

The hub is powered on and connected to my router

I can run an IP scan and the MAC address shows up in the list with an IP address of 192.168.1.55

If I put that into a browser with port number 25105 I can see the Hub OK

INSTEON Hub Details
    Alert 2.6 YF
    PLM:9C
    Firmware:4.8A Build Feb 08 2013
    ID:2A.CA.E3

For device control visit connect.insteon.com
    User Manual
    Technical Support

The ID matches the ID on the bottom of the Hub

The hub can also see the IO module over the mains as if I pull the network cable from the hub then both the hub and the IO module squeal briefly - so everything seems connected. The thing is that I cannot see anything on my iPhone.

I guess the first question is which of the two iPhone apps should I be using? I seem to have both on my phone somehow. One is a darker blue house symbol called 'Insteon+' the other is a lighter blue house with a path just called 'Insteon'

Oh, also I have created an Insteon account and can log in on the iPhone OK

Interestingly the Hub doesn't have a QR code on the bottom so I can't scan that into the app - anything else that I do results in 'no Hub found' or similar wording.

Anybody able to spot the hopefully simple noob mistake?

Thanks

Mark

Use the Insteon app. The Insteon+ is for the USA only Homekiit compatible Hub Pro. Also, are you sure about the Hub being -222? That suffix is for the US only. You need a -442 Hub (if you're in the UK).
    Last edited by stusviews; 05-26-2016, 12:26 PM.
    Message from Forum Admin: stusviews passed away in April 2018. Stu was a huge fan of Insteon and a huge presence on both the Smarthome and Insteon forums, helping thousands of us along the way (he had nearly 20,000 posts to his name). We thank him for his contributions, dedication, and passion for making the Smart Home a reality. He will truly be missed.
    Saving energy is not always free. Be a world saver.

Comment

also is your phone connected to your home WiFi? If not you wont see the hub unless you configure it connect to your public IP address (192.168.x.x isn't routable) and have port forwarding enabled on your router... this will help http://www.insteon.com/support-knowl...warding-guides
      Hub 2245-222, ID 46.F7.AE, Prod
      Insteon for Hub App v1.15.4 build 334
      53 Insteon devices

Comment

Ahh - have I been sold a pup? The hub defo is a -222 however I thought it would be OK as it's 120 to 230V

My phone is connected to Wi-Fi OK too.

Comment

The 2245-222 model will handle the 220V regions but you will have other issues. (The marking were changed for US reasons.)

The RF frequencies between the two products are different. The 2245-222 runs on ~915Mhz while the XXXX-422 products run on ~869Mhz. That means that you will be relying solely on power line communication and will not have the benefits of RF. The EU model Hub is not expected to hit the market until the 4th quarter of this year.

Comment

Riiight... so the hub will talk to the on/off module (as I have seen) over the mains... but I presumed that my phone will get on to my network over Wi-Fi and connect to the hub via the network cable?

Not so?

Phone talks to the Hub directly over Wi-Fi (or not in my case as the frequencies are incompatible)?

So I have bought a pup as it will never work (In the UK)?

You say also that

The EU model Hub is not expected to hit the market until the 4th quarter of this year.

So what is this?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/INSTEON-Aut.../dp/B00BC3ETU6

Thanks for your tme over this!

Comment

That's the older version of the hub. The newer version is square and starts with 2245

Comment

OK so am I right then that since my hub is a rectangular one and ends in 222 that it's both old and will never work in the UK?

I don't quite get it though - I can go to the States and use Wi-Fi OK so why won't the hub work?

Comment

WiFi is standard throughout the world, but Insteon RF is not WiFi. You can access the Hub using WiFi, but Insteon RF depends on location, 915 MHz for the US and 869.25 MHz for Europe and the UK, so the US Hub won't communicate with Insteon devices not meant for Europe and the UK.

The 2442 is current (new) for other than the US.
                  Message from Forum Admin: stusviews passed away in April 2018. Stu was a huge fan of Insteon and a huge presence on both the Smarthome and Insteon forums, helping thousands of us along the way (he had nearly 20,000 posts to his name). We thank him for his contributions, dedication, and passion for making the Smart Home a reality. He will truly be missed.

Comment

Most of the world uses the same 2.4 GHz WiFi channels. There is some variation the the 5 GHz channels available by country.

Comment

So how is my phone trying to talk to the Hub if not over Wi-Fi? Bluetooth?... but that's surely a fixed frequency worldwide?

As I see it the hub has three methods of communicating

X-10 ish comms over the mains between the hub and different modules
                      some sort of RF variable frequency (depending on country) (for local control/setup?)
                      a network port (for remote/internet control?)

Has anyone got an overview of how insteon works? I don't want to throw my hub in the bit until I can fully understand why it doesn't work

Comment

There is some information on Insteon here: http://www.insteon.com/technology/
                        Remember it was written to hi-lite the Insteon Protocols and some of it uses the US frequencies in their descriptions. Substitute your countries RF frequency as needed. The White Paper linked to on the web page has lots of added information in it.

The Insteon power line signals are 131.65KHz for all areas of the world. X10 not shown in the comparisons. Is 120KHz power line frequency.
                        The Insteon RF frequency used is different for different areas of the world. As you have noted.
                        The network port connects to your router and if it has Wi-Fi capabilities it can be accessed by Wi-Fi.
                        All the HUB models have no Bluetooth capabilities at all.
                        Last edited by BLH; 06-03-2016, 06:42 AM. Reason: Add information.

Comment

I'm going to have to digest that white paper at leisure!.. but from first glances it appears that commands can be issued over either RF or powerline depending on the module type and if I have an American hub then currently I am not going to be able to use the RF between the hub and the on/off module that I have (that being British)

However that doesn't explain why I can't get to the hub from my phone since the hub is connected to the router OK and my phone is on Wi-Fi

Comment

You can access the Hub using WiFi. That's not the problem. The difficulty is that the Hub does NOT use WiFi to communicate with Insteon products. The RF band the Hub uses to communicate with Insteon products varies depending on the county.

Comment

The trouble is, if I may, that I CANNOT access the hub over WiFi!. The app want a QR code and there isn't one on the hub. Anything else says 'no hub in your system' or such words.

The hub seems to connect to the module over power-line comms so I see no reason why my system shouldn't work.

It's the WiFi bit that's the problem.

Any ideas?

Comment

Working...
                              X