No announcement yet.

New Hub Pro does not work

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My new Hub Pro isn't working either. It pairs with the Insteon+ app and HomeKit just fine, but I cannot add any devices. It gives me the notification in the attached image. Any help would be awesome!!!
    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

Originally posted by neilgreene View Post
      My Hub Pro has never worked. After trying to add a device, during the initial setup when it sees the Hub and then connects to set it up, it always says it times out and fails. I have done all of the resetting, resetting and using different cables, on the same network checks, resetting HOMEKIT checks. Still, no working. Never has.

Here is what my two hubs show as
      Sadly, you are 100% correct. Because I was an early buyer of a Hub Pro that just never worked. Would not even allow me to register the Hub. Forget about finding devices, or intermittent issues with remote Siri or controls, I could not even register the hub to start adding devices. So, there it sat collecting dust on my shelf. So, what next stupid thing did I do, I bought another 1 last week and that newPOS works and allows me to register itself, it found all of my Phillips devices and what not.
      Only problem I find with it is it times out often and these time outs happen often just trying to add an Insteon device. I really should not have to get out a packet sniffer to setup a home automation device. And this is the 2nd, newer one.
      Your Insteon ID 2C.DB.AC
      Your Subnet Mask 255.255.255.0
      Your Gateway 192.168.1.1
      Your Device's Dev Cat 03
      Your Device's SubCat 3A
      Your Device's Firmware s:1.0.7|c:5.0.6
      Your Device's PLMFW 9D
      Your Device's App Version HubPro-V02
      Your Device's Unit Type HubPro
      Your Device's Serial Number 2CDBAC
      Last edited by neilgreene; 09-02-2016, 09:44 PM.

Comment

Sadly, you are 100% correct. Because I was an early buyer of a Hub Pro that just never worked. Would not even allow me to register the Hub. Forget about finding devices, or intermittent issues with remote Siri or controls, I could not even register the hub to start adding devices. So, there it sat collecting dust on my shelf. So, what next stupid thing did I do, I bought another 1 last week and that newPOS works and allows me to register itself, it found all of my Phillips devices and what not.
        Only problem I find with it is it times out often and these time outs happen often just trying to add an Insteon device. I really should not have to get out a packet sniffer to setup a home automation device. And this is the 2nd, newer one.
        Of course, because I could not DISCOVER the Hub Pro, I also could not update its firmware.

Comment

Of course, because I could not DISCOVER the Hub Pro, I also could not update its firmware.
          Not feeling any love from anyone at INSTEON or SMARTHOME.

So, the NEW HUB, worked for about 3 days. Then, it went into a mode where I could not add any more devices since the ADD INSTEON button would not show up any more. So, I ended up resetting the stupid hub AGAIN, and resetting HOMEKIT losing all of my prior settings and work done. Now, I am back to where the HUB won't discover and instead times out again.

I think it is time to move off the INSTEON + HOMEKIT goal for another year and just stick with INDIGO.

Comment

After my Hub 2245-222 died 2 days ago (another topic in this forum), I decided to try and use the Hub Pro that had been sitting idle for over a year. So I looked up instructions and searched this forum and specifically found this thread. However, since this thread was first posted, Apple has released the Home App and setting up the Hub Pro the first time has changed or at least does not follow the process laid out in the Insteon manual. Here is what I needed to do:
            1. Make sure you have an Apple TV Gen 4
            2. Make sure the Hub Pro has been reset (as described in the manual and by others in these forums) - and connected by wired ethernet to the router (in my case, I connected to a TP-Link Ethernet Hub that is wired to an Apple Airport Time Capsule (old version).
            2. Go to Apple's new Home App (I think only in iOS 10)
            3. Click on top left for the arrow (looks like the location icon) and setup the new Home if you haven't.
            4. Then in the home, go to top right corner in Home App and click on + sign and Add Accessory.
            5. Now the Hub Pro should show up in the dialog Select an accessory to add to the "home".
            6. You will be asked to position the HomeKit code in the Frame or add the 8-digit code manually).
            7. Now the Hub Pro gets added and it will show up in the Insteon+ App. Its possible to update the Firmware but you have to stay close to the router with your iOS device (if you are on a wireless network and it requires a few tries).
            8. At this point let me digress and say that the Insteon+ App is a piece of ......
            9. I tried to add a simple plug in on-off module in the Insteon+ App and it wouldnt find it after I put the module in linking mode. I had to manually enter the Insteon ID and after that the module kept appearing and disappearing!! The module finally showed up in the Apple Home App and seems to be working fine but did I say that the Insteon+ App was a piece of ....?
            10. I cannot add a Device from Insteon + App by the Searching for Devices screen. The radar keep going around in circles. Adding by Insteon ID works (sometimes). Now I have 20-25 dimmers, switches and micro-modules. I don't have the Insteon ID for each one (since my 2245-222 hub died) so it looks like I have to manually enter each one . No Way! I am going back to the 2245-22 Hub as soon as I get a replacement.

If anyone can post me to what I'm doing wrong, it will be appreciated but as has been mentioned before I believe Insteon Hub Pro, Insteon + and Apples HomeKit are NOT ready for prime time!

Update: Tap link from Hub to Device was not working but now it does ! So Insteon+ App still .... but looks like I can add devices without knowing the Insteon ID!

That did not last long! The devices appeared after tap linking on hub and device and then after a few minutes, disappeared! The only device still left is the one added manually! Back to square one!
            Last edited by vino; 12-11-2016, 08:11 PM. Reason: Never mind update !

Comment

Vino - you are correct that tap link is completely unreliable - I've never been able to get it to successfully work. You do need to add the insteon devices with their device IDs and even that ends up erroring out quite frequently during the process (or the app throws an error even when the process works). Once you do have the devices loaded under Insteon+, they will be available under the Apple Home app to group and move from room to room. Sometimes it is easier to handle in there after you get them loaded in Insteon+.

I'm in complete agreement that the insteon+ app has some serious issues. What I'm running up against right now is that I've added some Ecobee HomeKit thermostats and now my Insteon+ app will not load at all (crashes out right after the login screen) and none of my Insteon devices will respond inside the Apple Home app. I can see the status of all my switches but they won't respond to changes in Apples Home app. Looking at recent reviews, this appears to be common in iOS 10 and perhaps once you add additional HomeKit items.

Rob

Comment

In regard to the HubPro not working, or not being discoverable, I had a very similar issue and the solution apparently didn't have anything to do with Insteon. I joined the Insteon community in 2015 as an early adopter for the HubPro and had been pretty happy with it. I had a couple of occasions where I lost connection and had to reset, but I could deal with that. Then in January of this year my hub and devices stopped responding. I tried all the basic steps, resetting the hub, resetting the Home app in iOS, resetting my routers, but nothing worked. Contacted Insteon and they replaced the hub. New hub had the same issue. Tech support and engineers got involved, walked me through just about every scenario, but nothing fixed the issue. They asked me to take the HubPro to another location to try on someone else's network, when I did, it worked as expected. In talking to my friend, he mentioned a similar issue he had with Sonos devices not working when they were on the same router as his AT&T receiver and since I'm on AT&T too, I should try moving the receiver to a different switch. That didn't seem to make any sense to me, but I tried it when I got home and sure enough, that fixed the problem. Since the receiver was plugged directly into my gateway, no matter where I moved the hub throughout my house, it wouldn't work, now it works perfectly. I believe this same issue might explain some other networking issues I'd learned to live with since I switched over to AT&T and their Uverse Gigabit Fiberoptic internet and TV. I'm not sure how many users might have similar situations, but it's something to consider.

One other thing I noticed as I was adding all my devices back in, some kept timing out when I tried to add them by Insteon identifier in the Insteon + app. It was late by the time I was done and I was tired of messing with it, so I quit out of the app, but noticed that the devices that timed out in Insteon + had still shown up in the Home app, so that's good. What wasn't a good surprise is that even though I had made associations in the Insteon + app for my devices (naming them and moving them into the correct rooms), only to find out that this didn't stick in the Home app. I thought on one occasion when I had reset my hub and added my devices I had been able to do all of that from the Home app, but this last time I wasn't able to add my devices from there. I think it's because on the previous set-up, the devices had already been associated to the hub so when I added the hub to Home, the devices came up as an option to add. Whereas when it was a new set-up, the hub gets added to the Home app and the devices have to be added from Insteon +. At least that's the rationale I used.

Comment

stay away from insteon products, i have had a hub fail and now a hub pro with same issues. Smarthome wont refund me, stay away people

Comment

absolute garbage and equally as bad support

Comment

Ive had nothing but negative responses from Insteon support

Comment

I know this is an old thread, but I'm trying to figure something out with my Hub Pro. I am on my second one. The first one died with a constant red light. So I ordered a new one, and after going through the factory reset twice, I was able to get it running properly. However, this morning when I woke up, the red light was blinking. I power cycled and still red. I unplugged for 10 minutes and then after plugging back in again, it worked. But only for about 10 minutes. Now it has the blinking red light. I read the post from Dave Marsh about requiring firmware greater than 30 and I'm wondering if one of my old switches is causing the problem. I'm just not understanding what he means by a firmware of 30...all of my switches say things like v1.2 and v3.2 but nothing that looks like 30. If anyone has a quick answer that would be great. Also, some of the stickers are missing so does anyone know how to determine the firmware through the network? Thanks.

Comment

Working...
                        X