Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Disappointed. Hub-2 & HD Cameras. Batting avg .250. Is added functionality coming?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Disappointed. Hub-2 & HD Cameras. Batting avg .250. Is added functionality coming?

I've had the Hub 2 for a few months now. I also have the HS indoor camera and the HD outdoor camera.

I can accept a *few* "bumps in the road" when being introduced to a new product. (I'll add that with Cisco certification I feel I have a bit more networking knowledge than the average homeowner.) But to find out some of the limitations and nuances of both the hub AND the cameras was very disheartening.

Some examples:

1. Cameras do not like (but does not warn you either) that you can not use special characters in the passwords. It connects you just fine, it just doesn't give you video.

2. The cameras can only be FULLY configured by connecting directly to them via Internet Explorer AND only by local IP address. This means that you either have to be "inside" your network via RDP, a remote control application, or VPN to remotely and fully administer the cameras. Simply logging in via a forwarded port does not give full access to the cameras.

3. Advertising indicates 2 way audio. Not so. Tech support told me to use a third party app. Foscam Viewer. Seriously !!??!!

4. From what I can tell, the hub (and app) is absolutely necessary to tell the cameras whether to use the wired network jack or WiFi.

5. Now I am entertaining the thought of purchasing the 2441 thermostat and looking at the reviews, I find that like the cameras, the hub app does not provide full functionality.

These are just a few of the many issues that seem like they should have been be resolved by now. I feel I've been patient, and given Insteon time (9/2014 firmware) and the benefit of the doubt. I am seriously going to have to think about cutting my losses, and look at other home automation systems.

Open for suggestions and comments as to how I can better utilize and appreciate my investment under the current firmware/conditions.

Thanks.

P.../NH

Seriously..no one from Insteon replied to this? WOW. I am in the same mode of reconsidering my purchase but hoped that Insteon was just going through a phase and was addressing the obvious problems. I have been a beta tester before but that was voluntary. I mainly based my purchase of Insteon products based on the advertising claims and lack of negative reviews. I suspect I should have waited a few more months before assuming the lack of negative reviews meant the product was ready for market.

Comment

Dana, thank you for validating my concerns. Where I had heard nothing back, I was starting to think "Maybe it's just me"..... Well I guess we'll see if anything comes of this. For now, I've called a moratorium an any further purchases from Smarthome and Insteon.....

Comment

Working...
      X