Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Will 2014 Hub 2 purchasers get a rebate on the HomeKit Hub?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Will 2014 Hub 2 purchasers get a rebate on the HomeKit Hub?

Hi! As someone who recently upgraded to the new Hub 2, which just came out a few weeks ago, I was surprised by today's announcement that INSTEON would be releasing a new HomeKit-compatible Hub this year. Assuming that the Hub 2 will not be HomeKit-compatible, will INSTEON be offering customers who purchased it a rebate on the new HomeKit model?

I wouldn't hold your breath on that one given the extremely low price of $39.XX for the HUB II. The unit you have more than likely will not be upgraded to support Home Kit. I was told this will be reserved solely for the new version and note the announcement of supporting Apples Home Kit was made well before the new year.
    Teken . . .

Comment

Yes, but it was not clear that consumers would need to purchase new Hub hardware in order to receive HomeKit support, and OTA upgradability was touted as one of the prime features of the HUB 2. It would be unfortunate if INSTEON asked customers to double-dip so soon in order to receive HomeKit support without some consideration.

Comment

Originally posted by gdemet View Post
        Yes, but it was not clear that consumers would need to purchase new Hub hardware in order to receive HomeKit support, and OTA upgradability was touted as one of the prime features of the HUB 2. It would be unfortunate if INSTEON asked customers to double-dip so soon in order to receive HomeKit support without some consideration.

Understood and do agree but if you're concerned and its with in 30 days of purchase just return it for a full refund and sit this one out and wait and see. I too have read about how the HUB II is upgradeable. To date have not seen anything on the forums that indicate a new firmware release has been made for the HUB II.

Having said this several App updates have been pushed. I should also note the HUB II is a cloud based device so these may very well be the updates in a very none standard way.
        Teken . . .

Comment

Moot point. There is no evidence that you assumption has any validity.
          Message from Forum Admin: stusviews passed away in April 2018. Stu was a huge fan of Insteon and a huge presence on both the Smarthome and Insteon forums, helping thousands of us along the way (he had nearly 20,000 posts to his name). We thank him for his contributions, dedication, and passion for making the Smart Home a reality. He will truly be missed.
          Saving energy is not always free. Be a world saver.

Comment

Thanks, Teken. The good news is that it's been less than 30 days since I purchased the Hub 2, so I was able to RMA it for a full refund, minus the cost of shipping it back. I still have my old Hub, so that will work until the Hub Pro ships in February.

Comment

Thanks, Teken. The good news is that it's been less than 30 days since I purchased the Hub 2, so I was able to RMA it for a full refund, minus the cost of shipping it back. I still have my old Hub, so that will work until the Hub Pro ships in February.
              Its safe to say lots of us are eager to learn what this device is capable of doing and what dependencies are present. So, if you decide to purchase one please do take the time to do a review and high light all the pro's and con's along with features of the device.

Lots of us would appreciate a first hand account and use.

Some key things to keep in mind should you go forward with this task.

1. Is this device cloud dependent? Most of us know it will more than likely will be but verification is great
              2. Does the new device offer local control and access to the web page assuming the cloud is sad.
              3. Does it support X10 in a hidden fashion for those who still have legacy products.
              4. Does it support all insteon devices via the Apps for the specific smart phone platforms.
              5. Does it offer any conditional programming?
              6. Does it offer abilities to customize the sun set / sun rise.
              7. What are the two USB ports intended for?
              8. What kind of Apple Home Kit devices are supported?

Teken . . .

Comment

Absolutely. I don't have any X10 devices, so I probably won't be able to answer #3, but the other questions are all ones I'm interested in finding the answers to as well. I'd also love if if Hub Pro supported having multiple scenes begin or end at the same time.

Comment

Absolutely. I don't have any X10 devices, so I probably won't be able to answer #3, but the other questions are all ones I'm interested in finding the answers to as well. I'd also love if if Hub Pro supported having multiple scenes begin or end at the same time.

I only mention X10 because we were all told the HUB II had dropped all X10 support. Later another user found out that using the Android App allowed basic on / off control of the X10 devices. This is great for those who still have legacy items in the home but also a little shocking since it was stated the reason X10 was removed was to allow more code space and room for new features for Insteon.

The reality is we are not in 1980, its 2015 and memory and storage is at a all time low so its not cost. Its wanting to move forward and not support something that should have died ten years ago.
                  Teken . . .

Comment

Sometimes undocumented feature mysteriously disappear in later firmware or software revisions.
                    So counting on the basic X10 control maybe a disappointment.

Comment

Originally posted by BLH View Post
                      Sometimes undocumented feature mysteriously disappear in later firmware or software revisions.
                      So counting on the basic X10 control maybe a disappointment.
                      Absolutely, don't count on X10 being supported long term. As the official stance is the product does not support it so enjoy it while it lasts and the feature still exists.
                      Teken . . .

Comment

Working...
                      X