Hub2 and X10?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hub2 and X10?

While I am a newbie with respect to Insteon, I've been using X10 for almost 40 years (since the BSR days) so, our home now represents a substantial investment in X10 devices... for example, we have (and depend on) over thirty X10 wall switches

If X10 commands are supported by Insteon devices, I will probably choose Insteon as a transition path away from X10 since we cannot justify replacing all X10 devices in one step.

1 - http://www.insteon.com/insteon-x10-programming.html indicates that Insteon supports X10, but there is no date on that page nor is there any specific mention of the Hub nor the Hub2, so, does the Hub2 have the capability to control X10 devices?

2 - Reverse related to this, the above page _seems_ to indicate that Insteon switches can be programmed to respond to X10 commands. Is this the case?

3 - Does the Insteon android app have a "demo" mode? (I've installed the app, but it will not go beyond the hub association process which I can't do until I purchase a hub.)

Thanks in advance for any information.

Beverly Howard

Yes the earlier Insteon modules can have a Primary X10 address programmed into them and the earliest also supported X10 Scenes.
    I have some with Primary X10 Addresses myself. Still no 16 button Insteon Remote like the X10 HR12A Palm Pad.

The newest Insteon devices are dropping X10 support.
    Some that have not been replaced with newer models. Still have X10 support. The individual sales pages should indicate if X10 support is still in that model.
    The 2245-222 HUB II has also dropped X10 support and does not work with Houselinc.
    Last edited by BLH; 12-22-2014, 12:12 PM. Reason: Add information

Comment

I was able to verify that the HTTP API on the 2245 HUB *does* in fact still support X10. Perhaps the thing that is missing X10 support is the smartphone app for controlling it?

Comment

The 2245-222 Hub does not support the X10 protocol.
        Message from Forum Admin: stusviews passed away in April 2018. Stu was a huge fan of Insteon and a huge presence on both the Smarthome and Insteon forums, helping thousands of us along the way (he had nearly 20,000 posts to his name). We thank him for his contributions, dedication, and passion for making the Smart Home a reality. He will truly be missed.
        Saving energy is not always free. Be a world saver.

Comment

Thanks for the responses.

fwiw, it looks as if the forum "subscribe" is not working, so since I had not received any notifications, I just checked back today and saw that there were responses, so, apologies for my delay in responding.

Since posting this I found several references on this site that indicated that while the current Hub II does not support X10, the original (2012) 2242-222* Hub is supposed to support X10... so...

*model# corrected

I ordered the "refurbished" original (2012) Hub which just arrived.

I now have two problems;

After setting up the account, the app insists that my router has no connection to the internet (it does)

I used "forgot password" in the app and reset the password.

The "authentication" succeeds, but after an "instant search" the app insists that my router has no connection to the internet

I have no problem connecting to the internet using other apps and browsers

I can "see" the hub has connected to my lan and has been assigned an ip address

I am able to "ping" the hub and it responds

I have been through the factory reset on the hub

The manual refers to a "delete account" step that does not appear to be possible in the app

Can't go any further... in short... HELP!

Thanks in advance,
          Beverly Howard
          Last edited by bevhoward; 12-30-2014, 07:17 AM.

Comment

>> The weaknesses in using single-band, one-way, power line communications with no repeaters make x10 difficult to support in the modern era.<<

While I agree in principal, as mentioned in my original post, the cost of completely replacing what I currently have installed and rely upon is not an option, not to mention the time and labor necessary to replace over thirty wall switches and other hard wired x10 devices.

Hence, my quest to find a way to make the transition possible over a longer period of time. At the moment, the original 2242-222* looks like the best option to begin that transition.

*model# corrected

As for "one way" a long time ago it became obvious that there was no real reason to know the current state of any switch... didn't matter... it I wanted a light off, send a signal... if the light was off, it was still off after the signal was sent ;-)

Beverly Howard
            Last edited by bevhoward; 12-30-2014, 07:18 AM.

Comment

It's been a frustrating process since my last post, but with a combination of different attempts and approaches, I have finally gotten the android app to connect to the hub.

Insteon tech support got me to install the app on Win8.1, and while that app was finally able to connect with the hub, the win8.1 _app_ does not support X10... when the X10 icon in "add device" is clicked, the app reports "Feature Coming Soon"

However, after installing the win8 app, I returned to the android app, and it was finally able to connect to the hub. I'm guessing that something in the win8 connect session kicked somthing loose... and, the android app then allowed installing X10 devices.

However... (lot of "however's" in this process) the android app was not able to control those devices.

I then returned to the win8 app and the x10 devices installed on the android tablet were visible, and clicking on those devices in the win8 app, I was able to control the devices.

I then returned to the android app, and, lo and behold, the android app was then able to control the x10 devices.

Bottom line seems to be that the capabilities are there, so, there is hope. Could be that there is simply a lot of latency in the entire process since the signs seem to indicate that there is a lot of coming and going to and from the internet by the apps and the hub.

Thanks for the responses... so, it's onward through the fog with the hope of a smooth transition.

>> Have you considered the ISY-994?<<

Thanks for that info... will investigate it as well.

Beverly Howard

*stupid statement removed
              Last edited by bevhoward; 12-30-2014, 07:19 AM.

Comment

The 2245 Hub wasn't available until this year. I'm wonderhing how you obtained a 2012 2245 and what about it indicates 2012?
                Message from Forum Admin: stusviews passed away in April 2018. Stu was a huge fan of Insteon and a huge presence on both the Smarthome and Insteon forums, helping thousands of us along the way (he had nearly 20,000 posts to his name). We thank him for his contributions, dedication, and passion for making the Smart Home a reality. He will truly be missed.
                Saving energy is not always free. Be a world saver.

Comment

>> I'm wonderhing how you obtained a 2012 2245 and what about it indicates 2012? <<

Dyslexia strikes again... apologies all around.

I was focused on the "222" in the part number and missed the "42" vs "45" within the part numbers and that misunderstanding was solidified since most references used "Hub" and "Hub II" as descriptors.

In extensive reading throughout this and other sites, I also came across many "2012 Hub" references and picked up that term up since I thought the model numbers were the same. Obviously, I have the 2242-222 Hub.

>> Have you considered the ISY-994?<<

Woof... looks like at least $250 to be able to start experimenting. I will keep the links, but, since I finally have the ability to control both X10 and Insteon in the Hub, I will pursue that route for a while.

Thanks everyone... I'm sure I will be back with more questions.

Beverly Howard
                  The new INSTEON Hub connects you to your home from any smartphone or tablet. Control INSTEON light bulbs, wall switches, outlets and thermostats. Receive instant email or text alerts from motion and water leak sensors while you're away.

Comment

I have also seen the 2242-222 HUB called the HUB (2012) and the 2245-222 HUB II (2014).

Comment

fwiw, the comparison page at http://www.insteon.com/insteon-hub uses the above dates to differentiate between the two hub models.
                      We make the Internet of things for your home and business

Comment

Working...
                      X