Insteon Hub Schematics / Part ID?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Insteon Hub Schematics / Part ID?

Hi, my hub died today. Took it apart, and there is an SMT diode in the power circuit that looks burnt. SMA size package or so. D6 I think. Marking is "UFM" and "MIC"

MIC seems to be a diode company in India. I cannot specifically find the UFM marking note so I have no ideal what current and voltage rating this diode is.

If anyone has access to schematics or a BOM of the Hub and could pass this along, it is appreciated. Thanks.

If this is the Hub 2 (square, cloud-accessible hub) and you're within warranty, Insteon will repair it for you. The Hub 2 warranty period is 2 years from purchase. http://www.insteon.com/legal#warranty

Comment

Thanks. A bit over 3 years old.

Comment

My hub died a couple months ago, almost same age as yours, for what its worth, it could be more than just one diode, a few items could have fried at the same time.
        Its a little work, but nothing hard to replace hub and reprogram , and most likely will be less expensive in the long haul.
        You can get a factory refurb and 20%off on the web site for just over 30 bucks.
        I bought 2 since these seem to have a limited life.
        These were 100% like new appearance and condition except for retail packaging. For that I just cant see trying to chase around repair.Stay away from the evil bay ones, not cheaper and especially the ones that have " NO" id label code

Comment

Is it the older 2442-222 or the presently sold 2445-222 HUB?
          I have seen reports of the filter capacitors failing. As it has a small switching power supply in it and they are in a circuit with a 200KHz output into the filter network.
          I would also think. It maybe more than one component effected.

Comment

2245-222. I found a thread talking about C7, replaced it and the hub is working again! Good thing, because I was not looking forward to the migrating aspect as I was also just finding out about. There should be a config file or something that can be loaded onto a new hub. I don't have a ton of devices, but having to delete devices and the account (and with the unit dead, I would have had to contact support to delete) is quite a hassle.

Comment

Glad you got it working again.

Comment

Great job getting it working.
                We don't have a radio shack anymore like most places, where did you find that Cap and part#?, be nice to have a couple .I tried my local family run elect. shop and they had nothing when mine failed.

Comment

If Radio Shack was still around.
                  I would not use one of their capacitors, if possible. As they where general purpose capacitors.

For better reliability. I would be using a 105C or better temperature rating and made for use in a switching type power supply.
                  Last edited by BLH; 02-19-2018, 01:42 PM.

Comment

Thanks to whom ever posted the C7 cap fix. My neighbor found a 47 ufd up in the garage stored away. It was not the perfect fit but we made it work and I don't have to rebuild my whole config. We can only hope that Insteon can come up with a backup of some type in the future so customers do not loose everything. Even if I could export the device settings would be a plus.

Comment

The C7 fix also worked for me. Thanks to the person that figured this out.

Comment

C7 fix also worked for me. Thanks !!

Comment

Originally posted by Wolf614 View Post
                          Thanks to whom ever posted the C7 cap fix. My neighbor found a 47 ufd up in the garage stored away. It was not the perfect fit but we made it work and I don't have to rebuild my whole config. We can only hope that Insteon can come up with a backup of some type in the future so customers do not loose everything. Even if I could export the device settings would be a plus.
                          For what it's worth, I've opted to keep a simple spreadsheet of devices, IDs, schedules, and so on since most electronic things will die at some point. It's a bit of extra work, but much less work than trying to rebuild a configuration from scratch – especially since several modules are installed in difficult to access places.

Count yourself among the many who would love the possibility of exporting a config file. Because of how Insteon devices work, making that functional is a bit trickier than it might seem. Each device that is added to a Hub or added to a scene or linked in any way to another device will store the individual device ID for every device it knows about. If a Hub is swapped out, the new Hub will have a different ID and the individual devices won't know anything about it. A config file doesn't help here, since the Hub doesn't maintain the link tables, the individual devices do. That means updating each device. Ideally, perhaps, users could order a replacement Hub with an identical ID as the failed unit, but that has it's own set of issues.

Glad you got your Hub up and running again!

Comment

Thank you all for this thread! I also had the diode marked UFM MIC that looked like it might have been burnt, but after finding this thread and finding a spare 47uF capacitor laying around, I figured I'd give it a shot. Lo and behold replacing C7 worked! This saved a ton of time. Thanks!

Comment

I'll add my story about a year later from the last post. Hub had no power and I did look inside. I saw the surface mount D6 with charring effect. I even measure across it and it seemed "open". I found this forum and replace the 47uF at C7. Working lights!!! Thanks for posting.

Comment

Working...
                              X