How lame that the insteon+ app still doesnt work

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How lame that the insteon+ app still doesnt work

Bought a new Homekit hub and tried to set it up last week, can't sign in, says the email or password is wrong. I know it's not as it works in the other insteon app and via web. It's now been 8 days and it still doesnt work, called tech support and vaguely understood from the tech that it's a known issue and that there is no estimated time to fix. Love that I dropped over 200 on the new hub and the garage sensor to not be able use it at all.

Just because a login works in one place is no guarantee that it'll work in another. Ask support to reset your Hub and post that result.
    Message from Forum Admin: stusviews passed away in April 2018. Stu was a huge fan of Insteon and a huge presence on both the Smarthome and Insteon forums, helping thousands of us along the way (he had nearly 20,000 posts to his name). We thank him for his contributions, dedication, and passion for making the Smart Home a reality. He will truly be missed.
    Saving energy is not always free. Be a world saver.

Comment

Already did that, I called them and they acknowledged there is a problem with the app.

Comment

Same here.
        i reallt dont understand why such a big company as insteon cant fix this

Comment

Could not agree more. I just ordered Chamberlain's MyQ Home Bridge which is Homekit compatible. It was only $50 so you might want to consider that instead? I've had the Homekit enabled Insteon Hub Pro for a little less than a year and upon installing everything customer support told me the app doesn't work and I should use Homekit instead. I wasn't terribly disappointed because I wanted to use Homekit anyway. However, what is disappointing is the fact they advertise the product using the Insteon + app and yet you can't even use it. That all being said, minus a few hiccups a reboot couldn't handle I've been pretty happy with it so far.

Comment

It should work now. Somebody at Insteon deactivated the apps API key by accident as they thought it was being used maliciously and didn’t check if it belonged to any of their own apps.

Comment

I wish I had read this forum before. Not sure if the Insteon people read it or not. I decided that I would begin to start the process of trying to automate some things in my home and one of the places to start was with an espresso machine. I began by purchasing a Eve AC9A to control the outlet. Reading I was seeing that perhaps I needed a hub to make things work if I were to get out of range of Bluetooth. The Insteon HomeKit enabled Hub Pro appeared to be the ticket so I ordered one through their website. That was a kludge. Once the hub finally arrived I went to set it up. I have used the Insteon+ app to register the device, the Eve app and the Apple Home app. I connect the hub with the Home app and then it says I have to do additional setup in the Insteon+ app. Insteon+ does not allow me to do anything. The hub is “grayed” out. I have gone through the reset process several times, deleted and reinstalled the app etc. I notice the Insteon+ app does not appear by searching on the App Store. So after a month of messing around I have a box which is plugged in and has a couple of lights which blink. Period. If I am in range I can turn my machine on or off but I can’t automate it which was the entire purpose of getting the darn hub. For all the functionality of the stuff I might as well have not bought the hub. And from what I see in this forum there does not appear to be any support from Insteon to resolve this matter.

Comment

I really wanted to use hub pro integrated with HomeKit as I expand my system. I couldn’t get it to be recognized during the add device step in HomeKit. Support couldn’t either. I was told the Indian agent would call me back on Saturday but never did.
                When I called support back, I was told to call back Monday because second level support is off on the weekend. Very frustrating experience so far. I’ve been using insteon since they first came out, mostly trouble free so I’d expected a better experience.

Before i I send the hub pro back, is there somebody on this forum that knows this setup well that can help me?
                i very much would like to use Siri!

Comment

Originally posted by Johnsknave View Post
                  I wish I had read this forum before. Not sure if the Insteon people read it or not. I decided that I would begin to start the process of trying to automate some things in my home and one of the places to start was with an espresso machine. I began by purchasing a Eve AC9A to control the outlet. Reading I was seeing that perhaps I needed a hub to make things work if I were to get out of range of Bluetooth. The Insteon HomeKit enabled Hub Pro appeared to be the ticket so I ordered one through their website. That was a kludge. Once the hub finally arrived I went to set it up. I have used the Insteon+ app to register the device, the Eve app and the Apple Home app. I connect the hub with the Home app and then it says I have to do additional setup in the Insteon+ app. Insteon+ does not allow me to do anything. The hub is “grayed” out. I have gone through the reset process several times, deleted and reinstalled the app etc. I notice the Insteon+ app does not appear by searching on the App Store. So after a month of messing around I have a box which is plugged in and has a couple of lights which blink. Period. If I am in range I can turn my machine on or off but I can’t automate it which was the entire purpose of getting the darn hub. For all the functionality of the stuff I might as well have not bought the hub. And from what I see in this forum there does not appear to be any support from Insteon to resolve this matter.
                  The insteon hub is for insteon devices which is why the hubpro does not work for you. You have the wrong equipment. The hub doesn't even have Bluetooth capability. In order to remotely control your devices, you need either an Apple TV or an iPad that meets Apple's requirements.

I would recommend properly researching what you are trying to do so that you have the proper equipment to accomplish what you are trying to do. It's not the manufacturers fault if you buy the wrong equipment for the job. All the information you need is readily available if you take a moment to look.
                  Last edited by lilyoyo1; 01-14-2018, 04:48 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by danfilipi View Post
                    I really wanted to use hub pro integrated with HomeKit as I expand my system. I couldn’t get it to be recognized during the add device step in HomeKit. Support couldn’t either. I was told the Indian agent would call me back on Saturday but never did.
                    When I called support back, I was told to call back Monday because second level support is off on the weekend. Very frustrating experience so far. I’ve been using insteon since they first came out, mostly trouble free so I’d expected a better experience.

Before i I send the hub pro back, is there somebody on this forum that knows this setup well that can help me?
                    i very much would like to use Siri!
                    This is the 2243-222 correct? Just checking because sometimes users will have the wrong hub thinking it works with homekit.

One​ Major mistake that many people make is not turning on their iCloud keychain. If it is not on then you will have issues. If you haven't done so create your iCloud keychain account and then try to set up the hub.
                    Last edited by lilyoyo1; 01-14-2018, 05:00 PM.

Comment

@ lilyoyo1 yes, it is a 2243-222. I have an August lock in HomeKit which is working fine. Support had me disable and enable keychain (it was enabled) It still didn’t detect the hub. We tried factory reset also.
                      When I say didn’t detect the hub, I’m referring to the step in HomeKit where the instruction sheet included with the hub says to add device. I get a never ending spinning search icon. It acts like it’s not on my network, yet it is listed in “connected devices” with an IP address in my router.

<edit> During the first part of setup, when I scan the "device code" on the hub, it is recognized okay but then I'm asked to enter it again on the next screen. This second window to add the code manually isn't mentioned in the instructions. Is this possibly something related to my problem? Just thought I should mention this because it occurred to me....should I be entering the code for something else? I tried several times with the hub code.

What next could i try?

Thank you for your help!
                      Last edited by danfilipi; 01-15-2018, 07:23 AM.

Comment

I know I can get this to work....that is if the hub is not defective. I have quite a lot of experience with various devices on my network, so it’s gotta work...right?

i Checked connected devices in my router, oddly hubpro is still listed even though it’s not plugged in to power or Ethernet.
                        Going to try restarting the modem and router tonight. Hubpro should not be listed right now.

Comment

Due to changes in Homekit that option no longer works (I don't know why they don't update it).

Make sure that you are using the home app. You have to add devices manually with the set button. Hold the set button on the hub pro until it Bros and starts blinking. You will then press and hold the insteon device set button. You'll hear a chirp when they link and then you can release. The home app (Apple's) will then populate with the device.

Comment

Originally posted by lilyoyo1 View Post
                            Due to changes in Homekit that option no longer works (I don't know why they don't update it).

Make sure that you are using the home app. You have to add devices manually with the set button. Hold the set button on the hub pro until it Bros and starts blinking. You will then press and hold the insteon device set button. You'll hear a chirp when they link and then you can release. The home app (Apple's) will then populate with the device.
                            This changes how I'm setting up then.

Can you link to the correct setup instructions? I'm still getting endless spinner searching in Home app when at the "Add Accessory" step so I must be doing something wrong.
                            Last edited by danfilipi; 01-15-2018, 04:43 PM.

Comment

FYI, I’m not getting past the point of adding “Hub Pro” to the Apple Home app. Hub pro is never found after entering the accessory code found on the Hub Pro.

Comment

Working...
                              X