No announcement yet.

iOS 10 Incorrect and or "No Response" Status in Home App

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not good enough. Whenever I initiate an Insteon scene, I expect all responders to reflect the state of that scene. That could happen only if Apple allows it. And yes, Apple owns the ballpark. Insteon and others are just players,
    Message from Forum Admin: stusviews passed away in April 2018. Stu was a huge fan of Insteon and a huge presence on both the Smarthome and Insteon forums, helping thousands of us along the way (he had nearly 20,000 posts to his name). We thank him for his contributions, dedication, and passion for making the Smart Home a reality. He will truly be missed.
    Saving energy is not always free. Be a world saver.

Comment

It works through Homebridge, so the capability is there in HomeKit. It just needs to be utilized. There's no reason why Apple would block that.
      ISY994izw + Raspberry Pi running Homebridge
      iOS devices
      Approx. 60 Insteon devices

Comment

I agree that there's no reason Apple would block that, but there's no reason Insteon wouldn't incorporate if they could. It's a big jump to address Apple's requirements. but only a hop to add a button--if Apple provides the tools/permissions. Do you believe that Insteon is intentionally omitting a feature?
        Message from Forum Admin: stusviews passed away in April 2018. Stu was a huge fan of Insteon and a huge presence on both the Smarthome and Insteon forums, helping thousands of us along the way (he had nearly 20,000 posts to his name). We thank him for his contributions, dedication, and passion for making the Smart Home a reality. He will truly be missed.

Comment

Maybe Insteon doesn't know how or for some reason is unable to do it in a timely manner. Who know what's going on inside the company. Otherwise why has it taken so long for there to be updates to firmware and software? This goes for both of their hubs, not just HomeKit.
          ISY994izw + Raspberry Pi running Homebridge
          iOS devices
          Approx. 60 Insteon devices

Comment

Maybe, maybe not

Comment

Unfortunately im not at liberty to say exactly what I want to say. However, I can clearly say; you need to sign up to become a full hardware developer to see EXACTLY what you can and cannot do with homekit and Insteon before speaking on something you clearly have no idea of. Once you have all of that information, I am quite certain you would understand where I am coming from.

As stated earlier, the requirement are a hell of a lot different which is why more isnt done. That not only includes the hubpro but also the reasons as to why the ISY, homeseer, and indigo all require 3rd part support systems. In order for them to join homekit, they would need to give up to much.

Comment

I am at liberty to say exactly what I want to say. I don't know why you find it necessary to hide. Unless you know of what you speak, and you clearly don't, you seem totally oblivious of factual information. Your replies are merely speculation, at best.

Comment

Im not at liberty to speak do to signed agreements that doesnt allow me to speak clearly. While you may not know me on here, we have met in person.

Comment

Fellow Insteon Customers. Created this thread a while back when I first got Insteon and immediately noticed the No Response issue which plagues the system even now. Back last year went through countless tests and variations to rule out issues since at that time Insteon wouldn't acknowledge the problem. Eventually they did, but no timeline on a resolution. If your search twitter for insteon you can see the years of promises on updates are coming shortly, but as we all know, no app updates have been made since 2015. It seems that they will most likely be abandoned the Insteon+ app for good, with the intention that Hub Pro customers will solely use the iOS Home App. I'm more than fine with that, assuming they resolve the No Response issue presumably with a firmware update. They do have a firmware update in beta but while that addresses another issue I first mentioned here in regards to app crashes based on certain automations, but do not believe the firmware update addresses this threads issue.

It seems this thread has taken a major turn where there are a few people talking about many topics that don't relate to this particular issue which is a bug with Insteon where devices in the Home App show as "No Response" which means you can't see the status of a device without a refreshing it, and causes other issues. So you may wish to start a new separate thread for your more general heated discourse on what Apple NDA allows and does not, so that people with this particular issue can find discussions on it.

Comment

Here Here cchiera !
                      I've been following this thread for a while now, and been dealing with this issue since I got my hub back in 2015. In the last few weeks I was corresponding with support, following all their instructions, and once it couldn't be resolved, they just stopped responding.
                      Let's keep this thread alive.

Comment

Yes for a while Insteon certainly was trying to be helpful though went through countless things where it was clear they didn't initially believe it was their fault. They did eventually admit it was on their end, but that is of little joy to us as customers, since we want Insteon to succeed and we don't want to blame anyone. We just want the products to work as promised. Sure many of us want more, that is more features and improvements like have the scenes wall buttons support HomeKit scenes and Sonos, but before we can ask for all that, we need to make sure at least it works properly first, which it currently does not. Other players in the space have much better ratings and work great with Apple HomeKit. However, currently no other provide offers everything Insteon does, or as seamless and customizable hardware as Insteon does.

I will certainly keep this thread alive but from my experience Insteon doesn't monitor these threads and this could be 100 pages long and most likely wouldn't change their stance on HomeKit or resolving a particular bug. Where is posting frequently and politely on Twitter tagging publicly is more likely to get results as well as writing reviews on Amazon, Facebook and everywhere else since that affects there business. But just be sure to be honest and as unbiased as possible. The downside being they already have 1 star reviews most everywhere so if they continue to not gain new customers they will most likely eventually completely drop the HomeKit Hub all together leaving us all stranded with this issue and all the others on this forum.

Will let you know if I uncover anything helpful!

Comment

Update - Heard back from Insteon on Twitter with some helpful responses.

1. They confirmed the update that is in the works is an "app update" not a firmware update. This maybe a bit disappointing to those on this thread, as presumably any improvements to the app won't help the HomeKit experience / Home App experience. But at least will help resolve issues for people still using that 2015 app.

2. While this No Response issue has been going on since Sept 2016 when I first noticed it during the initial beta of iOS Home app, and up until now Insteon has not provided any solutions for the No Response issue... they now via twitter have posted a reason. They say that if you have more than 10 devices (which I assume is most of us), we have about 40+ for all the outlets/switches... that Apple uses a Group CMD to update the devices. And Insteon currently does not support that. So while the tweet was light on details that would make sense, why when some people don't experience the issue (those with only a few devices) as well as overtime when I try starting fresh it seems to work for a bit but then starts happening (aka after I've added the first 10 devices).

Presumably they will need to release a firmware update to fix that group command issue. Where it's been almost a year, and they are currently have no new firmware in beta (only app), it sounds like this issue won't be resolved anytime soon. It maybe that Apple has some sort of restriction that makes it harder for Insteon to support the 10+ devices issue. Other vendors don't seem to have this problem, but I imagine if it were easy they would have resolved it in the past year.

So while sadly no closer to a resolution on this, glad to know they at least know the reason for the issue which hopefully means there will eventually be a resolution by them, or a change by Apple to make it easier for them. Or of course people can switch to Lutron's highly rated switches. The downside being no scene wall options or outlet options. Leviton is also coming out with a HomeKit option but still doesn't offer the wide array of options as Insteon.

So let's all hope Insteon resolves these bugs, so we don't all have to eventually take the thousands spent as a loss and start from scratch with a new company once they have a larger offering. Remaining optimistic that Insteon will pull through!

Comment

Thanks for all the work on finding a solution for both of these issues. I guess it's time to start replacing some of my Insteon wall switches with the Leviton Decor Smart HomeKit switches and see if getting the switch count under 10 will help with the "no response". I've already replace the Insteon plug in switches with other brand HomeKit plug in switches.

Comment

TFitzpatri8. Just saw the new public update as well, but alas this will not address the Home app No Response issue of this thread.

The updated app seems to only addresses the App Crashing issuing that has been happening when a person enables certain schedules in Home <http://forum.insteon.com/forum/main-category/insteon-products/insteon-hub-app/ios-aa/88513-insteon-app-crashing-on-ios10/>. Based on the release notes, to resolve that, they decided to take the easier approach and simply remove the feature completely from the app (thus stop the crashing) and require users to use Home app for automations, and thus drop support for iOS9 since Home app requires iOS10. Based on the the release notes there are no other improvements to the app, other than dropping support for both of the items to stop the crashing.

For the No Response issue of this thread, according to Insteon Twitter Support, it's because if you have more than 10 insteon devices like most of us, apple requires a special group command for HomeKit, which Insteon doesn't yet support according to Insteon. So we will have to wait for a firmware update with support for that special group command for everyone who has more than 10 insteon devices. I don't believe there is currently any time table on when or if that will occur so for people with more than 10 devices who need them working now with the no response issue, they may have to look into alternatives to Leviton or such. But hopefully there will be a firmware update before then since there is a lot to love about insteon hardware.

Comment

Well, I've eliminated a large number of Insteon devices, all plug in's and many wall switches, replacing wall units with the new Leviton HomeKit switches and dimmers. Once I got down to 12 master Insteon devices paired to the Hub Pro, the "no response" issue disappeared.

Finally, after almost a year of IOS 10 beta and final code, the Apple IOS Home app is functioning as it should, and works on the Apple watch too. What a relief. The Leviton devices are very nice with screw terminals, but need a special slave switch for 3-way circuits. I bought 6 dimmers and 6 switches, first from Amazon, now the local Home Depot has them in stock too.

I still hope that the Hub Pro's firmware gets updated to fix the issue, and devices I pulled can be put back in service.

Comment

Working...
                                X