iOS 10 Incorrect and or "No Response" Status in Home App

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

iOS 10 Incorrect and or "No Response" Status in Home App

This issue has occurred throughout each and every iOS 10 beta including the latest public stable versions.

It's been reported by many others as well and have notified Apple and Insteon support about it but currently no resolution. I imagine this is because Insteon hasn't released an updated app for Sierra yet so hopefully this will be addressed in that update. But wanted to make an official post here about it as well so others can provide additional info which hopefully will help Insteon resolve it sooner.

I assumed was a beta issue, but to rule that out I did a complete reset of everything. That is got a new iPhone 7 (no beta software installed), reset all 42 Insteon devices manually (switches, mini remotes, keypads and outlets), freshly installed iPhone app, deleted the homekit data from AppleTV, (even reinstalled the AppleTv software on all 4 AppleTV's reinstalled Mac Sierra Public version on both computers, reset the hub, and while Insteon has not been responsive on helping delete my account created an entirely new in the meantime. After doing all that the issue persists.

Where I"m able to add 6 or so items without a problem then the "No Response" issue occurs momentarily. Then add a few more than the No Response issue persists. It's not a particular insteon device causing it, since I've tried removing those ones but after the no response issue appears it remains even if you delete most all the insteon devices. I imagine it's an issue with homekit data corruption of some sort, just like how the insteon app crashes if you add a home app time related automation.

Also this issue happens on any device. Such as iPhone 6s, iPhone 7, my partner's and friends iPhones, and iPads. So it's not device specific and doesn't make a difference if on Wifi or Cellular. And have tried on Verizon and AT&T. So definitely something to do with the data. Also on latest firmware of Hub.

While I only have Insteon devices, I hear on Twitter and forums that it only applies to Insteon. That is people who have Elgato and other homekit devices do not experience this "No Response" issue on iOS 10. Able to control the devices via siri, and if I tap the (i) on a device in Home app it refreshes and shows the status of the device and allows me to turn on/off, but once i leave that screen it goes back to "No Response in either gray or red. While I didn't see this much in the earlier iOS betas now along with no response issue, when it does show a status in Home or Insteon it't not always correct. Such as if I turn a outlet on or off, doesn't reflect on the app. And each device has been setup to be linked to and from the hub. Also automations in Home such as control an accessory based on another accessories action isn't working either.

I can provide much more detail but just let me know what will help as I've been testing this for many months trying to isolate the issues and working with Apple as well incase they need to make updates on their end even though it seems specific to Insteon so most likely will lay more on their shoulders via an app update and firmware update.

You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 1 photos.

Yes, I'm using two factor on iCloud account. Are you saying you experienced the issue without 2 factor and enabling it fixed the issue? Or the other way around? I can try turning off 2 factor temporarily to test, but it sounds like you are saying to enable which I already have done. Also Siri on tvOS has worked without a problem so far.

Update -----

Disabled 2 factor authentication which I've always had enabled, and have had the no response issue through out all the betas. Same issue when disabled This is on 10.1 public beta. Also tried enabling Apple's old "2-step verification" and same no response issue and the new no home hub issue.

Disabled 2 step and re-enabled 2 factor how I had it originally and still have the no response.

Curious if along with updating to 10.1 on iOS if you updated tvOS as well from the public 10.0 to 10.0.1? I'm on 10.0 but wondering if 10.0.1 is required to fix this issue?
    Last edited by cchiera; 09-26-2016, 07:12 PM.

Comment

Right, so sounds like no solution currently, as noted have been using 2 factor well before getting Insteon. And as noted tried turning on and off to no avail, as well as temporarily turning the old 2 step feature back on and off to no avail. Currently have it back to 2 factor on. Hopefully the Insteon team will be able to replicate soon to be able to start working a resolution as well as Apple. They asked for the crash logs when I notified them but they rarely provide feedback other than a few follow up questions that may or may not result in a change to iOS in the future.

While I don't have any particular exact steps to help you reproduce it, I can only suggest to try adding several time automations, just as for week days at a set time, and or every day at a set time that activates a scene and one that activates an item. After creating a few wait a little bit and then also try adding a new device to the Insteon. Toggle between cellular and wifi. Restart phone, etc. And each time you change something go back to the Insteon app and then I imagine eventually it will happen as well. Let me know if I can provide any additional information. Thank you!

Comment

Wanted to add, just to further isolate the issue, I also completely removed out router Asus AC5300 with an older completely separate router and installed that router with and reset it, and the No Response issue persists. Just wanted to note, so people know this isn't related to a router. Since this is not happening to everyone if Insteon is currently working on a software fix, think the next best step is get a replacement insteon hub to see if there is an issue with the hub itself since this issue has happened since the first day of getting it this year. And happens with all the switches so not particular to a single switch/accessory.

Comment

I have the same issue. However, it does not happen in my rooms. Have you added/organized your devices in "Rooms"? When I go to the Home app it defaults to "Favorites". I get the "No response" and the devices do not work from there. However, if I go to my rooms, everything is responsive, shows status, etc. I have almost 50 devices and everything works well from each room (except for the fact that if I use buttons or Indigo to control the devices then the status is not updated).

The fact that Favorites shows "no response" is just a small nuisance, but what really bothers me at this point is that in my Apple watch only "Favorites" are available and there I have the same problem of "no response" and I cannot use my devices from my watch. I tried contacting Insteon and they said iOS 10 was too new but they would give my problem descriptions to tech support. I am hoping they find the problem and fix it but if anyone has a workaround please let me know.

Comment

KCF Yes home has about 12 rooms and happens there as well with all the accessories assigned to rooms. To note, originally when I added the first few devices works everywhere, then on the main screen stops working then eventually stops working everywhere including all rooms and when swiping up from the bottom on iOS. So unfortunate this issue that has persisted since first getting Insteon several months ago is more than a nuisance since does not just affect the favorites. But glad in your case it's less severe!

Also even in Insteon app it is not always reporting the right status, where it says a light is on but its actually off or vice versa. Think the next option will be to get the hub swapped out for a replacement since I know its not router (since have swapped that out for two others, and not the apple tv since swapped that out with 3 others, and have reset everything, homekit data, each accessory, account, hub, etc, and not the phone since has happened on all phones and iPads tested, and not the accessory since have tested using different accessories and same issue persists. And have tried beta versions of iOS and the stable versions which have made no difference. The only constant each time is the hub (which is running latest firmware), so swapping that out sounds like the next best option. Hopefully Insteon doesn't make that process to difficult. Will keep you all posted!

Comment

cchiera I don't think it is your hardware, I think the Hub Pro and insteon+ app are both in desperate needs of upgrades. The app itself hasn't been updated in over a year now, and I can't find any dates for the firmware releases of the hub I know it hasn't recently been updated.

Comment

Originally posted by thepod7 View Post
                cchiera I don't think it is your hardware, I think the Hub Pro and insteon+ app are both in desperate needs of upgrades. The app itself hasn't been updated in over a year now, and I can't find any dates for the firmware releases of the hub I know it hasn't recently been updated.
                thepod7 That's certainly very possible, however if it was only a software glitch, it would most likely affect all Insteon Users using Home App on iOS 10 and that doesn't appear to be the case. So sysmetiaclly ruling out each possibility, and since no way to test unreleased future potential Insteon updates, the next best thing is to try new hardware. If that doesn't work then would only be left with it being software related, either on Insteon (most likely) or Apple's end or a combination (possibly). Where the issue seems to only affect Insteon devices and not HomeKit devices it would seem logical it's an Insteon software issue and I can only imagine they are close to releasing a big iOS 10 update. Still find it out and all my interactions with Insteon support they haven't once simply asked for syslogs or error logs of when the issue happens as Apple does each time, but can only assume that's because they have already replicated the issue and working on a fix and thus do not need additional logs to replicate/diagose the issue.

On the bright side, I love the hardware (switches/plugs) compared to the competitors, organizing/setting up automations in Home app is a breeze, Siri works wonderfully with it (in my experience) and simply this No Response issue and Insteon reporting wrong statuses even in its own app sometimes. Once they work out these issues I think all the very low ratings on Amazon and everywhere will take off and they will have a hit. But I do agree more frequent updates and improved responses to support requests which go a long way in that endeavor. #Hopeful

Comment

I am having this exact same issue. I also believe it's related to the 2-factor authentication. Insteon+ app crashes on startup on my iPhone 7 with 2-factor authentication activated. My wife has an iPhone 7 and iPad with iOS 10.0.2 without 2-factor authentication set up and both will run the Insteon+ app without crashing. My older iPad Mini with iOS 9.3.5 (no 2-factor authentication as implemented in iOS 10) will also run the Insteon+ app. The iOS 10 Home app on all devices will not show the status of devices on the Favorite screen, and the control center on all iOS 10 devices also will not show the status. If I tap on the devices in the Favorites screen in Home and control center they will refresh and show the status, but it's annoying to have to do that every time. I went through on the reset steps per support, but the issues persist. I'm also having the issue with the Watch discussed in the other thread. I think all these issues are related, perhaps to 2-factor authentication being incompatible with the Hub Pro and the Insteon+ app. It's really a shame because the new iOS was in beta for months so they had time to figure out these and fix these issues before release, but they didn't.
                  ISY994izw + Raspberry Pi running Homebridge
                  iOS devices
                  Approx. 60 Insteon devices

Comment

Just to reiterate from my earlier posts, the "No Response" issue has occurred for me at least throughout each and every beta of iOS 10. I reported it to Apple as soon as I setup the Insteon and then eventually reported to Insteon once officially out of beta. While the crashing issue only started a day or so before iOS10 officially launched when using the dev version, this seperate issue of "No Response" has occurred throughout all the betas, though while its happening to many, its not happening to everyone so still unsure on what causes it for some all times and not for others.

Comment

Originally posted by TFitzpatri8
                      2-factor authentication and a 4th gen. Apple TV, or in-house iPad with iOS 10 with hub mode enabled, is *required* starting with iOS 10 for HomeKit remote access. (That's unfortunate, since the 3rd gen. Apple TV worked for iOS 9.)

Any time the mobile device can't talk directly with the Insteon+ Hub's on you LAN (i.e. If your mobile device is using a guest wifi account on your router, if you are using your neighbor's wifi, if you are using your cellular data connection...), it uses that remote access. You must also enable the Allow Remote Access feature for guest icloud accounts to work via remote access.
                      Already done all that.
                      ISY994izw + Raspberry Pi running Homebridge
                      iOS devices
                      Approx. 60 Insteon devices

Comment

As other's confirmed the latest developer release from the other day doesn't solve the No Response issue, and also the beta release today does not solve the No Response issue. While people are complaining about the Insteon software not being updated for a year (which is pretty insane for a tech company) but none the less, I think an updated software won't necessarily help, and since this issue doesn't exist with non Insteon devices imagine future iOS updates won't help but will most likely require a firmware update 1.0.8. Though all speculation since Insteon isn't provide much details on this or asking for any logs to investigate it.

Comment

This issue for Insteon devices persists on Apple Developer 10.1 beta 3 that was released today.

Comment

This thread is on the No Response issue which is separate from the time automation issue that causes insteon to crash. Answered your question on that thread however.

But yes, this No Response issue in my experience has only occurred with all Insteon homekit devices.

Comment

cchiera, I am not sure if you saw my other post about the workaround with scenes to be able to use the watch Home app. In case you didn't I just wanted to point out that while the "non-response" problem did not happen to me inside my rooms when I did not have any scene defined, as soon as I added scenes the problem propagated to all rooms. Anyway, this is actually not worse than what I had before since even without the "no-response" the devices do not show the actual status.

Comment

Working...
                              X