Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hub Pro and Apple Watch under OS3 - Watch shows greyed out devices through HomeKit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hub Pro and Apple Watch under OS3 - Watch shows greyed out devices through HomeKit

I have Insteon Hub Pro and Insteon+ app on my IOS10 iPhone and iPad working fine.

Home App on iOS10 works great, both locally and remotely via Apple TV4 as a HomeKit bridge.

My problem is that the Apple Watch running Watch OS3 shows grey tiles and 'no response' when I launch the Home App on it.

As a test, I installed a Phillips Hue bridge and two lights and it works fine on the phone and on the watch.

But my Insteon devices do not work on the Watch.

Any thoughts as to what might be causing the Watch to not read or control the device status?

Thanks -

neil

I've been experiencing the "No Response" issue on the Home App favorites home screen since for months throughout all the betas of iOS 10. Reported issue to Apple and Insteon. Currently no resolution. Since there are a lot of iOS 10 issues that seem to be affecting Insteon in particular I imagine there will be an updated Insteon app soon to help address some of these issues. Luckily since iOS 10 has been in the hands of developers like Insteon since June hopefully won't be too much longer now that iOS 10 is live for users.

Comment

Same problem here. I have 48 Insteon devices, all work from my iPhone and the only problem I have there is that in the "Favorites" tab they show "no response" (in each "Room" they behave as expected). But in my watch I only see favorites by design, and all show greyed out and "no response". I have even tried deleting my Home and starting from scratch but the symptoms reoccured.

It is good to know that the Philips Hue works, so the problem is definitely with the Insteon implementation. I hope they are working on a fix.

Comment

KCF Just to note in my case while the issue initial started as only affecting the Favorites, it quickly spread to affecting all the individual rooms too, and swiping up from the bottom on iOS etc. So far Insteon hasn't officially acknowledged the issue is on their end, as after talking with support (who tried to be very helpful), at the end they simply suggested I check out the forums or that maybe it was my router (even though I tried a completely different router). So I'm hopeful they are working on a fix but I imagine they don't know how long that will take and so like most companies hoping to push the blame off themselves until they have a solution. Most customers probably don't even know this forum exists so hopefully the more people who do or share the issue on twitter the more the company will realize the issue is more wide spread and hopefully will address it eventually. I'm hopeful they will and then can finally start loving my insteon setup!

Comment

I am having the same issue. I just got an Apple Watch and am very disappointed that the Home app on the Watch cannot control any of my Insteon devices. I upgraded to iPhone 7 with iOS 10.0.2 and also upgraded my Apple TV to the latest gen 4 just so I could use HomeKit with my Insteon system, just to find out it doesn't work as it should. Siri controls everything flawlessly, but I can't get the status for any Insteon devices or control any devices by tapping on them in the Home app on the watch. Very disappointed. Looking at alternatives if they don't fix it, but I have close to 50 devices I'd have to replace.
          ISY994izw + Raspberry Pi running Homebridge
          iOS devices
          Approx. 60 Insteon devices

Comment

I can control Insteon devices using Siri on my Apple TV as well. 2-factor authentication is already enabled. If I disable 2-factor authentication then the Insteon+ app will not crash on my iOS 10 devices, and once I re-enable 2-factor authentication again the Insteon+ app crashes on startup. So that part at least seems to be related to 2-factor authentication.

I've done all the steps you're recommending. I get the same results with all the devices are on the same network. If I have my phone off the wifi everything still works the same. Insteon+ app crashes, Watch Home app doesn't show status, Watch app can't control Insteon devices, Favorites in Home app on iOS 10 don't show status unless each device is tapped on first. So it's not a network issue. It's some kind of issue with the Insteon Hub Pro and/or their software. Like someone else said in the thread or one of the other threads, the fact that the Hub Pro firmware and the app haven't been updated in a while is probably the issue, with none of it having been updated to fully support iOS 10 and WatchOS 3.
            iOS devices

Comment

I deleted all schedules from the Insteon for Hub app, Insteon+ app, and in the Home app. I also reset the Hub Pro, per Insteon support suggestion. They recommend that all schedules be created from the Home app and not the Insteon+ app. I did that and it still doesn't work right. The schedule work, Siri control works, but seeing the status in the Home apps on iOS and WatchOS doesn't work. And I can't add or modify devices in the Insteon+ app since it crashes.
              iOS devices

Comment

Well, I'm unable to create schedules on the Insteon+ app since it crashes on startup. So we're back to square one. Insteon needs to fix Insteon+ so it doesn't crash.

Thanks for mentioning iDevices. I wasn't aware of that app and will try it out now.
                iOS devices

Comment

Okay so I installed the iDevices app. Works perfectly. It's clearly an issue with the Home app. I'd say since the iDevices app works properly that it's an Apple issue that Apple needs to fix and not Insteon.
                  iOS devices

Comment

Ok now we're getting somewhere. Deleted all the automations in the Home app. Now the Insteon+ app is working. Now, what can we do to get the Home apps on the Watch and iPhone to show the status automatically?

PS - Going back to your previous post about not needing the Insteon for Hub app... I'm going to post a separate topic so this thread doesn't get off track. Thanks for your help.
                    Last edited by flmmkr; 10-03-2016, 07:15 PM.
                    iOS devices

Comment

I posted this in a different thread but I thought it is relevant here too. I installed new betas for iOS (phone and watch) released today at 1 pm and the issues persist. I disagree on blaming Apple and the Home app only. From what I understand, there are individuals with both Insteon and non-Insteon devices (like Philips Hue) and they only have issues with the Insteon devices in their iPhones and Apple watches. I believe the best way of getting these issues resolved is for both the Insteon team and Apple working together on a fix.

Comment

never mind.
                        Last edited by flmmkr; 02-20-2017, 03:21 PM.
                        iOS devices

Comment

I found a workaround for having no control at all of any devices from the Apple Watch Home App. I removed all devices from "favorites" (they didn't work anyway) and I created scenes like "Kitchen On", "Kitchen Off", "Master On", "Master Off", "Good Night", etc, and added them as favorites. These scenes are IMO more useful since they can control several devices at a time (nothing prevents you from creating a scene with one device if you prefer) and the best thing is that they all work!

I would still like to have full functionality one day, but having this workaround helps for now. A slight inconvenience is that after creating scenes now all devices show as "no response" in my iPhone and iPad Home apps (even inside the rooms) but since the status of the devices is inaccurate anyway, it really doesn't matter. Siri commands and controlling devices from the Home app by tapping still works.

Comment

Ok, after several tests I believe I finally have a theory with what is going on with all these problems between the insteon hub pro and the new Home app in iOS and WatchOS.

First, let me list my observations:

1) Insteon+ app crashes when creating automations in iOS Home app

2) "No Response" problem occurs in all devices in Favorites page of iOS Home app

3) "No Response" problem occurs in Rooms too, but only in those Rooms that have a devices assigned to a scene, if that scene was created from the iOS Home app.

4) Devices in Watch OS Home app also have the "No Response" problem and are totally unresponsive from WatchOS Home app. Notice that these devices are driven from "Favorites" and the favorite status can only me assigned in the iOS Home app.

Now, let's examine the issues. There is one thing in common: all problems start when a modification is made in the iOS Home app. If I define My Home, add all my devices, create my scenes and automations, etc, in the Insteon+ app (without selecting any favorites) and just start using the iOS Home app then there are no issues at all. The only problem is the fact that I cannot use the WatchOS Home app, but that is expected since it is based on favorites. This means the Hub Pro is able to successfully create and manage a Home in Apple's HomeKit. However, any modification made in iOS Home such as automations, scenes, favorites, result in issues. My theory is that the Hub Pro is ill equipped to handle these modifications (probably because it is not expecting them?).

Thoughts? Does Insteon Support read this forum or would it be a good idea to try to communicate this theory to them in case they haven't considered it yet?

Comment

Looks to me like Insteon needs to update Hub Pro to work with the new changes to HomeKit. Since these problems only occur with Insteon devices, it's an Insteon issue and not a HomeKit issue.
                              iOS devices

Comment

Working...
                              X