Insteon+ App Crashing On iOS10

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Insteon+ App Crashing On iOS10

Some users are reporting crashes at launch of Insteon+ in iOS10.

If you are seeing this issue, please list the following information:

Device Model
    iOS Version and Environment (public, beta, dev)
    iOS Update Method (upgrade vs clean install)
    Phone Carrier
    Hub FW Version (navigate to "http://{hub IP address}/settings")
    Is the hub working with the iOS10 "Home" app?
    Troubleshooting Steps Taken (app re-install, HomeKit reset, hub reset, etc.)

If you have not done so already, please DO NOT factory reset your hub.
    Last edited by BetaTestCoordinator; 09-16-2016, 03:06 PM.

Has anyone been able to get the Insteon+ app for the hub pro to load on iOS 10? Mine continues to crash, I deleted the app and re-downloaded it with no change. Seems the app definitely needs updating for iOS 10.

Comment

So I am now running 10.0.1 on my iPhone and it is still crashing.
      You do not have permission to view this gallery.
      This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

• BetaTestCoordinator
        BetaTestCoordinator commented
        Editing a comment
        Have you attempted the deletion and re-install now that you are on iOS 10.0.1?

Yes I am having the same issues on 10.0.1, even after reinstalling the app.

Device Model - iPhone SE
      iOS Version and Environment (public, beta, dev) - Public
      iOS Update Method (upgrade vs clean install) - Upgrade
      Phone Carrier - AT&T
      Hub FW Version (navigate to "http://{hub IP address}/settings") - I have config: 5.0.6 & server: 1.0.7
      Is the hub working with the iOS10 "Home" app? - It was until I deleted and re-installed the app the first time.
      Troubleshooting Steps Taken (app re-install, HomeKit reset, hub reset, etc.) - I have only deleted and re-installed the app on my phone

Comment

This may sound like a roundabout way of getting this to work...try removing the Insteon+ app entirely from all devices, factory reset your Hub Pro, manually add all of your Insteon devices to the Hub Pro using the Set Button method, and then add the Hub Pro to HomeKit using the Home app...?

Comment

Ok so I noticed tonight the Home App in iOS 10 is working, but I am at home connected to my wifi. So remote access is completely broken for my account, not show how or why but I suspect the iOS 10 updates on my Apple TV's has something to do with it. On top of that, it doesn't look like 2 Factor Authentication is enabled on my iCloud account anymore. I went to appleid.apple.com and verified that it is not enabled, I tried to enabled it but it is telling me I need to wait three days because of recent changes to my account.

Ok Now I reset my HomeKit from one of my apple tv's, the app now loads but it won't see my Hub Pro now. Should I reset the hub?
          Last edited by thepod7; 09-17-2016, 08:27 PM.

Comment

How did you reset HomeKit from an Apple TV?...doesn't appear to be an option with tvOS 10.

Comment

I am pretty sure you need an ATV 4Gen for this now, but it is under settings / privacy / HomeKit. I still haven't been able to get either the Home app or the Insteon+ app to recognize my Hub, but I haven't reset the Hub either. I hope to have some time later today to try this.

Comment

Ok I got around to reseting my Hub today, however that didn't do anything. So now all I can do is launch the app, which is completely useless. I am now back at square one, and my system is completely useless.

Not sure what to try next, I know there were issues getting the app to originally recognize the Hub Pro when it was released anyone have some tips to get it recognized?

Comment

I am not having any problems running the Insteon+ app on IOS 10.0.1 on both an iPad Air 2 and an iPhone 7. No issues with crashing.

What I have found out is a few things:

- AppleID is the central connector for HomeKit in the new OS release. I ended up having to go into my Airport Routers and delete / re-add back-to-my-mac identification the routers. And re-authenticate everything after turning on 2-factor. If you use old version AppleTV's you have to add a 2nd factor string to your passwords on those devices or they will not authenticate into iCloud.
                  - You must turn on two-factor authentication for iCloud for HomeKit to work. This can be done in the iCloud setting on IOS10 or under iCloud in Mac OS Sierra 10.12
                  - The Home app in IOS10 will only see Insteon devices if you have them added and visible in the Insteon+ app.
                  - You have to have either an iPad running IOS10 or an Apple TV version 4 to enable access to HomeKit devices remotely. Those become your home kit hub in your home.
                  - You can check the status of your AppleTV connectivity with HomeKit in the Home app on IOS 10. Open the Home app, select the Home screen and click on edit - then click on the Home > name and it will show you if you have a connected Apple TV v4 hub (or hubs) in the information screen.
                  - If you want to see status in your AppleTV, Go to Settings > Accounts > ICloud and you should see options to sign out of iCloud, a status on HomeKit and options to turn on / off photo sharing and photo library.
                  - If you don't see your Apple TV 4 as connected, it's likely an iCloud ID issue - you must have 2 factor authentication. And once you do this, you will have to re-authenticate in EVERYTHING that uses your iCloud ID. This includes Apps as well as browser sessions. And every time you do that, you'll have to have an authenticated device close by to enter the 2nd factor code for that session.

THE ISSUE I AM HAVING with Hub Pro is that it will not work with the Apple Watch for me. Running Watch OS3, I get greyed out tiles on my watch when I launch Home app when it searches for my devices. Phone and Tablet work fine, but the Watch will not connect to my Insteon Hub through HomeKit.

neil
                  Last edited by neilc; 09-18-2016, 03:57 PM.

Comment

So ThePod7, I had issues with my hub pro initially getting it to connect. I ended up doing a hard reset and then unplugging it for 3 minutes and then replugging it in. After that it came up and I clicked on find devices. When you click 'find devices' the Hub Pro should show up on the bottom of the radar screen. I had to manually enter the device ID on the bottom. It was not recognizable via the camera shortcut.

Once I got it connected, I manually added my Insteon devices by looking up their identifier in my Indigo status screen on my mac. You could do the same thing if you can read them off of the devices individually. They are a six character identifier.

If it gave me an error adding a device, I just tried it again. I had three devices that were farthest from the Hub that required I re-enter the information.

Definitely, it was better than the last time I tried a Hub Pro about a year ago.

neil

Comment

So I finally have a somewhat working set up after reseting my Hub Pro 5 times today. I was able to re-add my Hub Pro to my Home in HomeKit. I think the issues all come down to the changes apple made with the two-factor authentication in iOS 10. I currently have a full working setup as long as I am in my house, remote connections do not work and I can't turn on two-factor authentication until the 21st because in my testing I reset my two-factor code.

Comment

• BetaTestCoordinator
                        Editing a comment
                        Are you still seeing crash issues with Insteon+?

I am having the same problem. The insteon+ app crashes immediately after launch. I have tried it on my iPhone 6S plus, my iPad Pro 12, an iPad Mini 4 and an iPad Pro 9. Exactly the same behavior on each device. I deleted and reinstalled the app on my iPhone and iPad Pro. In both cases the app continued to crash immediately after launch. I am able to use my hub pro via the Apple Home app. I can change device and scene settings using the Apple home app and other 3rd party HomeKit apps. However since the insteon+ app won't work, I can't add new insteon devices. I hope an app update is coming soon.

Comment

• BetaTestCoordinator
                        Editing a comment
                        Have you attempted to update the authentication as thepod7 and neilc suggested? As a temporary work around, you can tap link devices to the hub which will cause them to automatically sync and populate with HomeKit and the Apple Home app.

I am also experiencing the same issues. Insteon+ crashes on iPhone 5, iPhone 6S, iPad Air and iPad mini 4. The app was working on iOS 10 beta, but since moving to the public release it crashes. The home app still works, but I cannot add new insteon devices I just bought. I also noticed that when I turn off the insteon app under setting-privacy-HomeKit the app will then load, but it is useless because none of your devices show up...

Comment

No I am no longer experiencing the crashes, but I did have to rebuild the system. The app started working again after reseting HomeKit from my ATV 4. I currently do not have remote access because I still haven't been able to turn two factor authentication back on, therefor I don't have a home HUB setup at this point.

Comment

Working...
                      X