Apple Watch app not logging into hub

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Apple Watch app not logging into hub

I'm trying to use the Apple Watch app to control my insteon devices and have noticed that it will only work if I have logged into the hub via my phone, then use my watch.

Start with Watch App
    If I start with my watch, I can open the app and see all my insteon devices and scenes. When I go in to turn off lights for example, the lights do not respond. No error is shown either. If i then go to the app on the iPhone it does not log in automatically like it normally does. It just sits on the log in screen with fields blank. I have to tap back>I already have an account>then automatic log in kicks off. At this point my watch will control all the devices just fine.

Starting with iPhone App
    If I start the interaction with my iPhone app, log in happens automatically. I can then use my watch to control the insteon devices. Note that the failure to log into the hub automatically only occurs if I try to use the watch before the iPhone app.

I have the same issue. The whole purpose of being able to control my smart home from my watch is not having to get my iPhone from my purse or pocket. The fact that I need to open the app in the watch first defeats that purpose.

Comment

TFitzpatri8, yes that works too. It is just a little bit inconvenient. In case you reboot your phone or the battery dies you will need to make sure to launch the app if you want to control it later from the phone.

Comment

Interestingly enough I can use the Phillips Hue watch app without ever having opened the app on the phone. This proves nothing of course but would lead me to think it is possible to fix what is current wrong with the Insteon app. Something else I noticed is that the watch app seems to work much better if you are NOT on the same network as your hub, for example I cannot see the live camera feeds when on my home network at all, yet within 5 seconds of disabling wifi on my phone the video displays....

Comment

Originally posted by KCF View Post
          I have the same issue. The whole purpose of being able to control my smart home from my watch is not having to get my iPhone from my purse or pocket. The fact that I need to open the app in the watch first defeats that purpose.
          Do you folks have Hub 1's or Hub 2's? I have a Hub 2 in the production environment that works as it should with my Apple Watch when the iPhone app is not open. This works over wifi or over Bluetooth for me.

Comment

Originally posted by digitalmediaphile View Post

Do you folks have Hub 1's or Hub 2's? I have a Hub 2 in the production environment that works as it should with my Apple Watch when the iPhone app is not open. This works over wifi or over Bluetooth for me.
            I have a 2242-222 Rev 2.1 that behaves like the OPs. If the app hasn't been logged in with on the iPhone, then the Apple Watch doesn't work. It launches and goes through the motions, but it doesn't actually do anything. Once the iPhone logs into the app, the Apple Watch app works fine.

Comment

I also have the Hub 1 and if I have not logged into the insteon app on my phone in a while the command from the watch has no effect and when I open the app on my phone it has logged me out. Very frustrating, I would like to be able to use the watch app but it is essentially useless unless I take out my phone and launch the app there first.

Comment

Apple will apparently be requiring new watchOS apps that are submitted after June 1 to be "native" (ie. not just an extension of an iPhone App).

http://9to5mac.com/2016/04/23/apple-...k-from-june-1/

Depending on when Apple will force existing Apps to move is still unknown, but presumably at some point the Insteon watchOS app will be native as well, which would fix this problem all together I believe.
                Hub Pro (2243-222), 11 SwitchLinc Dimmers (2477D), 5 LampLincs (2457D2), 3 6-Button Keypad Dimmer Switches (2334-232), 3 FanLincs (2475F), 1 In-LineLinc Dimmer (2475DA1), ecobee3 HomeKit Thermostat

Comment

Working...
                X