Major problem with app and upnp!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Major problem with app and upnp!

I've been having issues with my phone and network for quite a while now, and have finally narrowed it down to the official Insteon app. Here's what's happening, when the Insteon app is on my phone, my phone starts opening random upnp ports. First a few, then more, finally filling up there upnp table and causing problems on the network. I thought it was my router, bought a better one, no change. Thought it was my S8, got an LG phone, same problem. Finally checked upnp tables without the Insteon app on my phone and everything is normal on upnp tables.

This is a huge problem, not to mention an annoyance for how much time and money I've spent on this.

This is a huge security risk! I can no longer use the Insteon app, does anyone have any other recommendations?

Can someone else please check their upnp tables and see if they have this same problem?
    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 3 photos.

I've never seen that happen nor has there ever been any posts geared towards that. I'm surprised an app could cause that as your router is separate from that fact and your looking at the router tables on the Netgear app.

Which hub are you using? Did you change the port from the default?

Comment

Like lilyoyo1, I've never seen that occur, But, UPNP is already a security risk. You should actually disable it in your router. There are better ways to add gear, albeit, not as easy.
      Message from Forum Admin: stusviews passed away in April 2018. Stu was a huge fan of Insteon and a huge presence on both the Smarthome and Insteon forums, helping thousands of us along the way (he had nearly 20,000 posts to his name). We thank him for his contributions, dedication, and passion for making the Smart Home a reality. He will truly be missed.
      Saving energy is not always free. Be a world saver.

Comment

Are you using the app for the insteon camera or devices?

Comment

My guess is this is related to a camera opening the ports by way of the app. Since I haven't experienced it myself this is just an educated guess.

Comment

No, I don't have any cameras, but pretty much at least one of everything else insteon. I am 100% sure at this point that it's the insteon app causing this. I've deleted the app, changed my phone IP, and have no new entries on my upnp. Tonight I'm going to try the insteon app on another phone (which I've already basically done) to see if that starts filling up the upnp tables. If anyone at insteon wants more info on this, please message me. The strange thing is the open ports don't track back to the insteon app in particular. It is triggering the OS to open these ports. I'm not sure if the ports it opens is random or not...

Yes, I understand the risks of upnp, but its much less risky if you monitor what ports are opening, as I do. Some products on my network require upnp to function, the Chromecast being one example...

Comment

I would contact support directly. More than likely, they will not be able to help you with it being the very first time something like this has happened. It isnt often that Insteon checks on here for customer issues.

Comment

Ok, so here are two pictures. I've used my work phone, an insteon "virgin" S7 with an IP address ending in .59. I've reset my router in the first picture, and waited about 30 minutes. No insteon app on anything. One thing connected (Chromecast I think) and nothing else. The second picture is after I've installed Insteon on the s7 and waited 30 minutes. It's already opened several upnp ports. In a few hours I'm sure the tables will be full.
                No one else has experienced this? The problem has to be the app, or my hub possibly. I'll get in touch with support and post any replies.
                This gallery has 2 photos.
                Last edited by justsomedude; 12-13-2017, 07:08 PM.

Comment

Here it is with Insteon app on both phones, 59 and 70.
                  This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

Did you change the port on your hub? It should be left at the default 25105. (im assuming you have the 2245-222)

Comment

liloyo1 is correct. The app is such so that 1) you do not need to set a port, oops, I mean that you should not set nor change the default port and 2) changing the port causes the app to not automatically update. No difficulty can be analyzed accurately if the port is other than the default.
                      Message from Forum Admin: stusviews passed away in April 2018. Stu was a huge fan of Insteon and a huge presence on both the Smarthome and Insteon forums, helping thousands of us along the way (he had nearly 20,000 posts to his name). We thank him for his contributions, dedication, and passion for making the Smart Home a reality. He will truly be missed.
                      Saving energy is not always free. Be a world saver.

Comment

Nope, never changed the port. It doesn't ever open 25105 on upnp, not that I've noticed. I double checked for updates, none were available. It is a 2245-222. Does anything look out of place? If it's not the app it's gotta be the hub.
                        ​​​​​​

Comment

BTW, just for documentation purposes, my upnp table had two entries in it, until I just now installed the Insteon app to check the port info above. It always starts by opening three consecutive ports. I'd be curious if the apple app does this, but have nothing to test with.

Comment

I would check your devices to see what the device is with multiple entries. If it is the hub device, delete your account, factory reset it and see if it continues. If there is a culprit, I would think it would most likely be the hub rather than the app.

Comment

It's the phone itself opening upnp ports. I can do a fresh install of the Insteon app on any Android phone, log in, and it starts opening upnp ports. The phone is opening ports, the Insteon app is telling it to for some reason. This has been with multiple Android phone, and multiple WiFi routers. The only thing I haven't tested with is a different Hub...

Comment

Working...
                              X