Do I understand the app correctly?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do I understand the app correctly?

I was a big fan of Insteon many years ago in helping my customers solve issues. My business model has changed since then.
    Now recently one of my customers bought a home that has X10 in it and has been a big problem since they moved in. Trying to locate/resolve noise has been a no go... and they have decided to upgrade to better system. I recommended Insteon as I had great success and no issues in past.

Customer has 18ft and 20ft ceilings with recess cans in them. Due to ladder size and moving of furniture...and need to do all the linking......I am hoping I understand the app's ability.

I am hoping I can buy (3) inline dimmer modules and (2) 6 button keypadlincs and the hub...do some temporary connections at the shop, do all the linking and cross linking, and then disconnect the devices and send them out to be installed (minus the hub).

Does the app actually program the devices themselves or is it just app memory?

If they are programmed, will the devices retain the linking and work as should once installed on site without the hub?

Or is the hub a requirement to be on site?

Customer has 3 banks of lights....2- in one room and 1- in next room.

I am wanting to---
    - use the main On button to turn on banks (1&2) of lights at 50%
    - use A button to turn On/Off bank (1) at 100%
    - use B button to turn On/Off bank (2) at 100%
    - use C button to turn On/Off the 3rd bank of lights in a different room
    - use Off button to turn all banks off

The above will be same functions for 2 keypadlincs.

Thanks for any help...Shado

The links are written to the devices, but there's no guarantee that each device will be able to communicate in a different location. That's because field conditions differ. The devices will be on different circuits with different items connected to those circuits from where you set up the scenes/links.

You may (or may not) need to install one or more filters and/or range extenders.
    Message from Forum Admin: stusviews passed away in April 2018. Stu was a huge fan of Insteon and a huge presence on both the Smarthome and Insteon forums, helping thousands of us along the way (he had nearly 20,000 posts to his name). We thank him for his contributions, dedication, and passion for making the Smart Home a reality. He will truly be missed.
    Saving energy is not always free. Be a world saver.

Comment

Thanks for quick response.

These different field conditions would be due to their electronic belongings, etc....correct? Thereby producing more/less noise than what would have been seen at shop?

Interesting, as from what I understand....I can not bring the hub on site to help correct or relink devices....as it would be "attached" to my ip address, correct?

Comment

Nope, You can move the Hub. It's tied to an account (i.e., user, password), not an IP address.
        Message from Forum Admin: stusviews passed away in April 2018. Stu was a huge fan of Insteon and a huge presence on both the Smarthome and Insteon forums, helping thousands of us along the way (he had nearly 20,000 posts to his name). We thank him for his contributions, dedication, and passion for making the Smart Home a reality. He will truly be missed.

Comment

Nice to hear this!
          That was one reason I was interested in the app...sounded like it would be a lot easier to accomplish what I needed, instead of trying to cart this old worn out body up and down the ladder more than necessary.

Since the app account and hub are tied together, would I be able to bring them to other/different jobs in future and accomodate my/customers needs?
          Say, like creating different houses per customers within the app? Kind of like a contractor app set up?

Like if in future this customer wanted to add other devices ,I could purchase them, bring out, install....rehook up the hub and do all the additional linking, etc..... and then later, if another customer wanted to get into Insteon, I could create a job with in app and set them up with a different set of devices and links, etc...?

Thanks for your help!!
          Last edited by Shado; 05-31-2016, 12:30 PM.

Comment

I don't believe that will work as a copy of devices and scenes is stored in the cloud. If you ever need to return to an installed location (e.g., a device fails), you can really mess things up. It's best to have a different Hub for each location. Also, without the Hub, schedules and alerts won't work and there'd be no smartphone control.

Comment

Ok, so a hub and app account per customer.....hmmmm.

Does the hub or app allow a kind of guest access? Something, so if they were to have issues or want additional devices installed, I could gain access on site and do all the linking for them, without needing to know their personal password, etc?

Comment

There is not a provision for a guest account. The Hub is not the choice for an installer unless you leave it on site. It's an entry level HA device. The user can change their password to allow you off-site access and then change it back.

Comment

Ok....got everything in and was able to work with it and set things up...pretty easy I might say!
                  However, found out that customer has IOS phones...and Im Android....ugh

Can the hub have 2 accounts to it? android and ios?

If not...is there a way to "hand off" android setup to ios?

Thanks again for all your help...

Comment

No, the Hub cannot have two accounts. Yes, you can use an iOS app concurrently with an Android app to access the same account. As I understand it, the iOS app has a few features for some devices that are lacking from the Android app, for example controlling the top and bottom outlets of the On/Off Outlet.

Comment

Working...
                    X