HouseLinc and Windows 10

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HouseLinc and Windows 10

I really like using HouseLinc tools for configuring and maintaining large Insteon systems. I've been using old WinXP PCs to do this in several locations but I worry that these machines will finally die and would like to transition setup and maintenance to newer PCs. I've installed HouseLinc on a PC running Win10 Home (upgraded from Win7) but I can't get it to recognize either 2413S or 2413U PLMs even with manual configuration. Can HouseLinc work on Win10 Home? Am I missing something? Any suggestions or guidance would be appreciated. Thanks.

HL is an end of life product. HL will not support newer devices should you need to replace and/or add devices. That said, I was able to get HL to run on Win 10. I tried several options for the gateway several times and HL eventually found a way in. It was not worth it.
    Message from Forum Admin: stusviews passed away in April 2018. Stu was a huge fan of Insteon and a huge presence on both the Smarthome and Insteon forums, helping thousands of us along the way (he had nearly 20,000 posts to his name). We thank him for his contributions, dedication, and passion for making the Smart Home a reality. He will truly be missed.
    Saving energy is not always free. Be a world saver.

Comment

Looks like I should try the latest devices.xml - that solved some earlier issues with WinXP. Can you suggest available software or devices that would enable configuration and maintenance of fairly large Insteon systems (latest has 26 devices including three keypads - it is likely to grow). Thanks, Stu.

Comment

The last devices.xml may be just that, the last. Even that does not allow control of both outlets of the Outlet On/Off Module. There are a few devices it does not support at all. That list will grow as new device versions are released. I strongly suggest moving on to something else. My preference is the ISY.
        Message from Forum Admin: stusviews passed away in April 2018. Stu was a huge fan of Insteon and a huge presence on both the Smarthome and Insteon forums, helping thousands of us along the way (he had nearly 20,000 posts to his name). We thank him for his contributions, dedication, and passion for making the Smart Home a reality. He will truly be missed.
        Saving energy is not always free. Be a world saver.

Comment

Stu,
          So devices.xml 2.9.85 released on 12/02/2015. Still did not address the dual outlets?

Comment

BLH, the newer devices.xmls basically just allow newer firmware devices to be accepted, but not to add new functionality. The second outlet bit is a different functionality than when HouseLinc was supported. I'm really sad that INSTEON decided to almost exclusively focus on the trendy cloud service method, rather than supporting robust, quality products like HouseLinc, but unless they choose to open source it, we're out of luck on it ever getting updated. I'm actually writing my own INSTEON control software because the other options are so lacking now.

Comment

Working...
            X