OpenHab

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

OpenHab

There are OpenHab bindings for both the PLM and Hub. Has anyone tried using it and any issues you run into using it to control Insteon?

Are you in an Asian country?
    One of your other posts indicated are in Asian country.
    The 2413S {Serial} or 2413U {USB} PLM is strictly 120 Volts and 60 Cycles.
    If you have a different voltages standard a PLM will not work.

Comment

BLH yes I'm in China (HK and mainland) so yes we use 240VAC here. Thanks very much for noticing and pointing that out. The biggest advantage with Insteon devices is it operates with 240VAC and looks nice! This is a huge set back however. Any idea if we can use the Hub to do nothing but to help relay the commands between Ethernet and Powerline? The Hub does support voltage we use here but it looks like it doesn't support some of the things I want to do. If the Hub doesn't work, any idea what else? I tried looking at the USB wireless adapter but am not sure what exactly it does. It doesn't appear I can control Insteon devices much like the PLM.

Comment

I have seen an engineering modified older model HUB for serial use.
        Mentioned in the UDI forums. For some special uses of their ISY994i controllers.
        The 2448A7 USB PLM can do some of the things the 2413S or 2413U PLMs can do. Only uses the US Insteon RF frequency of 915MHz and no power line connections.
        If you are interested in some of the Insteon developers documentation. Smartlabs released them to the public after the Developers Group {I belonged to} was discontinued.
        They are here including the 2448A7 USB PLM.
        http://www.insteon.com/developer#devdocs

Comment

Originally posted by BLH View Post
          I have seen an engineering modified older model HUB for serial use.
          Mentioned in the UDI forums. For some special uses of their ISY994i controllers.
          The 2448A7 USB PLM can do some of the things the 2413S or 2413U PLMs can do. Only uses the US Insteon RF frequency of 915MHz and no power line connections.
          If you are interested in some of the Insteon developers documentation. Smartlabs released them to the public after the Developers Group {I belonged to} was discontinued.
          They are here including the 2448A7 USB PLM.
          http://www.insteon.com/developer#devdocs
          BLH actually if possible to avoid using the RF 915MHz frequency and relying on pure power line comms that'd be a big plus for me. While I don't think Insteon communicating over 915MHz would be causing too much issues considering the signals are only emitted if and when an event or action has taken place which is far and few in between when compared to using it to say do a telephone call.
          Last edited by titusc; 06-09-2016, 05:16 PM.

Comment

Only one or two Insteon device have the option to turn off RF.
            Message from Forum Admin: stusviews passed away in April 2018. Stu was a huge fan of Insteon and a huge presence on both the Smarthome and Insteon forums, helping thousands of us along the way (he had nearly 20,000 posts to his name). We thank him for his contributions, dedication, and passion for making the Smart Home a reality. He will truly be missed.
            Saving energy is not always free. Be a world saver.

Comment

Actually back to the question, if the PLM is not an issue, has anyone tried using OpenHab successfully via the PLM? Any limitation of features are known?

Comment

The 2413S or 2413U PLM is 120 volts 60 cycles only.
                For your area of the world. It will not work even if OpenHab could be used with a PLM.

I have seen very little information on the 2448A7 USB PLM Dongle.
                Short information documentation for the module

http://cache.insteon.com/developer/2...-072010-en.pdf

http://cache.insteon.com/documentation/2448A7qsg.pdf
                Last edited by BLH; 06-10-2016, 03:52 AM. Reason: Ad information

Comment

BLH thanks for the second link it does appear that it can be used as a PLM to communicate via RF? Has anyone tried doing this with any of the software based controllers whether they are ISY, OpenHab, Indigo, HomeSeer, CatleOS, etc? If the USB does work then great.

I wasn't thinking of using the 2413S or 2413U because as you explained they are only for 120V 60Hz. There is a mod available for the older 2242 Hub to convert it to a PLM.

Comment

The ISY requires a serial PLM. As for the other Insteon managers you mentioned, the best resource is their respective websites.
                    Message from Forum Admin: stusviews passed away in April 2018. Stu was a huge fan of Insteon and a huge presence on both the Smarthome and Insteon forums, helping thousands of us along the way (he had nearly 20,000 posts to his name). We thank him for his contributions, dedication, and passion for making the Smart Home a reality. He will truly be missed.
                    Saving energy is not always free. Be a world saver.

Comment

There is no officially modified 2242 for Serial Port use as a PLM.
                      I have seen references to some third party companies selling them in other areas of the world.

Comment

BLH actually found something interesting. Per the following the OpenHab InsteonPLM Binding works with the 2242 and 2245 Hubs. I assume there is no modifications required here. https://github.com/openhab/openhab/w...on-PLM-Binding

Comment

Interesting.
                          It does seem to read that way. Maybe another web page explains exactly how a older or newer HUB model can be used.

Comment

Originally posted by BLH View Post
                            There is no officially modified 2242 for Serial Port use as a PLM.
                            I have seen references to some third party companies selling them in other areas of the world.
                            do you know any link of someone who do that?

Comment

They convert the Australian Hubs to work with the ISY (2242-522). You would need to contact them to see is they could do it with a US Hub and how much it would cost.

http://www.vikingcomms.com.au/

Comment

Working...
                              X