Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

INSTEON and Home Automation software

Hi all,

I am an INSTEON user since 3 years. Living in Italy (EU version Insteon product) and the house is filled with INSTEON HUB 2242-422 and different micro-controllers, dimmers, sensors...
    I am now intereste in having a "smart" solution rather then using the insteon APP for remote control or scenes/schedule for few automated behaviors.

From my analysis I understood the following:
    - HousLinc is out-of-support since more than 1 year;
    - HomeSeer is not working with INSTEON HUB
    - ISY not available for EU-martek since there is no Serial PLM available

any suggestion?
    Did I get something wrong ot there is no possibility to use the INSTEON HUB in a smart way?

Thanks,
    Emanuele

Unfortunately, that's the current situation. If you don't mind leaving a computer on 24/7 there are some software solutions available. Depending on your OS, there may be some trial versions.
    Message from Forum Admin: stusviews passed away in April 2018. Stu was a huge fan of Insteon and a huge presence on both the Smarthome and Insteon forums, helping thousands of us along the way (he had nearly 20,000 posts to his name). We thank him for his contributions, dedication, and passion for making the Smart Home a reality. He will truly be missed.
    Saving energy is not always free. Be a world saver.

Comment

Since you need to use the 2242 Hub as your PLM because they don't have a European version yet you are limited to HouseLinc - assuming you want to use a Windows PC for control instead of the Apps. HomeSeer says they have an EU version of their controller that works with Insteon, but as you said not with the Insteon Hub.

Here's a older thread about an EU version PLM, looks like it has yet to become available http://forum.insteon.com/forum/main-...modem-2234-422
      Last edited by kenrok1; 03-01-2016, 01:15 PM. Reason: found some addtional info
      Hub 2245-222, ID 46.F7.AE, Prod
      Insteon for Hub App v1.15.4 build 334
      53 Insteon devices

Comment

HomeSeer is working with INSTEON HUB - I have currently a Raspberry Pi running HomeSeer connecting to a 2242-522 (AU). Maybe it is just not working with the 2242-422.

Comment

manudeca,

There's an Insteon Hub plug-in for HomeSeer. Have you checked on that?
          Message from Forum Admin: stusviews passed away in April 2018. Stu was a huge fan of Insteon and a huge presence on both the Smarthome and Insteon forums, helping thousands of us along the way (he had nearly 20,000 posts to his name). We thank him for his contributions, dedication, and passion for making the Smart Home a reality. He will truly be missed.
          Saving energy is not always free. Be a world saver.

Comment

Originally posted by stusviews View Post
            Unfortunately, that's the current situation. If you don't mind leaving a computer on 24/7 there are some software solutions available. Depending on your OS, there may be some trial versions.
            I do not mind leaving 24/7 a computer on (I actually bought a Win8 mini-pc and also a Raspberry-PI), but I do not find easy the software solution compatible with my Insteon-HUB (EU version) since there is no Serial PLM available for the EU market.
            Can you suggest some solution to look into?

Thanks,
            Emanuele

Comment

Insteon-HUB is now improved by integrating with higher windows versions. Please upgrade to the new version or buy a new computer with higher windows to avoid freezing.
              Last edited by INSTEON John; 07-29-2023, 02:56 PM. Reason: Erased hidden code linked to a non-relevant web site like spam

Comment

For what it's worth, I've been very happy with Home Assistant and a 2245-222 Hub. I've been using Home Assistant since the server outage happened, and it's been easy to use.

It's also been great for integrating some of the non-Insteon stuff in my house (Sonos, alarm, etc).

Comment

Hi,

This may be a dumb question but I’ll ask it. If you have Home Assistant do you still need to pay for the annual Insteon subscription fee?

If you don’t pay for the Insteon annual subscription fee how do you monitor your home automation system when you are away from your home?

I’ve been thinking about buying a Home Assistant Green unit to help give me more control over my home automation system. I’m not interested in creating a terribly sophisticated or complicated configuration.

I’ve read about Nabu Casa & understand what it does but I can’t figure out if it would be wise to transition over to Home Assistant given I have no coding skills & don’t have a ton of time to tinker, but do have interest in learning more.

Any thoughts or suggestions? Thanks

Comment

Working...
                  X