How to read/write link tables without HouseLinc

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to read/write link tables without HouseLinc

I have a corrupt LED Bulb (which has no factory reset option). So I need a way to read/write the link table so I can clean it up. I also have an occasional need to read/write other device link tables, so this isn't exactly a one time thing. I (thankfully!) no longer have a PC, so using HouseLinc is not an option. Does anyone know of any other way to do this? I have a Hub 2245-222, so software that uses the "REST API" would work, if the API supports reading/writing link tables.

An ISY can do that. And the ISY is a considerably better Insteon manager than the Hub. The ISY even outdoes HouseLinc.
    Message from Forum Admin: stusviews passed away in April 2018. Stu was a huge fan of Insteon and a huge presence on both the Smarthome and Insteon forums, helping thousands of us along the way (he had nearly 20,000 posts to his name). We thank him for his contributions, dedication, and passion for making the Smart Home a reality. He will truly be missed.
    Saving energy is not always free. Be a world saver.

Comment

Ya, unfortunately that requires me to buy a new expensive piece of hardware (over $200 new). I've been on the fence about buying one for years but never had a compelling enough reason to spend the money. Given that read and writing device link tables is definitely a capability of the hub I own, it would be great to find a way to do it using that hardware.

Comment

have you tried other software like InsteonExplorer; you just need a plm
        Author of the Insteon Homeseer Plugin (HS2, HS3, HS4)

Comment

I have not tried Insteon Explorer. I am having trouble finding it. I find one web page which seems to show it being made by Forefront Technologies, but their web page seems pretty dead. Any more info about where you got it? I also really do not want to spent anything more on new hardware just for this purpose.

Comment

What did you use to interface the power line with HouseLinc?
            Message from Forum Admin: stusviews passed away in April 2018. Stu was a huge fan of Insteon and a huge presence on both the Smarthome and Insteon forums, helping thousands of us along the way (he had nearly 20,000 posts to his name). We thank him for his contributions, dedication, and passion for making the Smart Home a reality. He will truly be missed.

Comment

If that question was for me, the last time I used HouseLinc it was with my old original hub (2242-22... which I still have stored away if I can use that for this purpose).

Comment

All Mac software I'm aware of uses a PLM. So does Linux. Or do you have a different OS?

Comment

Mac or Linux is fine. Do you have any software to suggest that uses a PLM? (I can use that info to decide if it is worth investing in a PLM). Right now I can't find any software besides Indigo which is very expensive.

Comment

http://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/25545/shion

Comment

It seems this is pretty dead code. But even if not, I don't see any signs that this software gives the ability to manually read or write link tables. Do you see that feature somewhere?

Comment

I see that with an ISY. So no, I don't test all available software.

Comment

Just to update anyone who later reads this thread: I've found a solution!

It involves using my original Hub 2242-222, along with HouseLinc installed on my Mac and run using Crossover. The great thing about Crossover is that it does not require a copy of Windows, nor does it require the bloat of booting windows. The negative is that it is only free for 14 days and then you need to pay to use that software (but it is still much cheaper than Windows and is really cool software if you have occasional need to run a Windows program on your Mac).

A few notes on the install process:

1) After installing CodeWeaver's Crossover, create a container (I made Vista container)
                          2) Install .NET 2.0. It is a built in installer, so nothing extra to download first, jut install it into that container.
                          3) Then install HouseLinc into that container. For some reason I didn't have any luck with the latest version of HouseLinc connecting to my Hub, so I used an older copy I had lying around. I cannot find any links to download anything but the latest version, so someone else may be able to help with downloading older versions if you have the same issue.
                          4) Run HouseLinc just as you would on a PC. Since I am using a 2242-222 networked hub, I just had to let it find the hub itself and it connects and synchronizes.

Comment

Great. But how do you find such a solution?
                            Last edited by INSTEON John; 07-29-2023, 02:55 PM. Reason: Erased hidden code linked to a non-relevant web site like spam

Comment

Working...
                            X