Insteon Woes...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Insteon Woes...

Hello - just updated my home with Insteon, it was a lot of mixed X10 before and was having more and more issues with control on some switches. I just received a heavy order of Insteon but I'm having several issues and hope you guys can help.
    My main concern is the 30A load controllers, both are NO. They are used to control my pool pumps (main circ and a sweeper). These are installed side by side from a small sub panel near the pool (50A feed from main breaker). Each is fed from a 20A breaker, both are 220V. Wired both of them up in place of the old X10 controller, the main pump linked to the APP no problem and I can control with ease. I've set a schedule and it runs each morning for the last week. The sweeper though will not turn on from the APP. I can open devices and click on but it does not start. The indicator spins for a moment then stops spinning. It is not indicated yellow, it indicates as working. If I turn the pump on manually with the local button and refresh the app it shows the pump on. Same for if I turn it off locally and refresh, shows off. I tried to factory reset the controller and relink it to the app. When I try to delete from the app it would not do so, I had to force remove it. I did the factory reset (power on holding the set button for 3+ seconds, await the double beep) and relinked it but the same issue. It indicates fine but will not control from the app. When I try to start / stop from the app I see the light indicators blink but again the sweeper never operates from the app.
    On the same sub panel I have two more Insteon devices. Both are 2447S switches, one controls the pool light (inside the pool) and the other the perimeter lighting. One thing to note is both of these are fed from GFI breakers. The pool light works fine to control remotely, the perimeter light does not work from the app. Both work fine from the switch but again when I use the app the perimeter tries for just a moment then stops. Very frustrating! I did read about the RF connection having issues between items in metal boxes but they are both hardwired.
    Also on the same panel is lights for our little tennis court. The switch for the court is located another 100+ feet from the pool panel, no issues connecting to that switch though. It is another 2447S.

Since both were on the same panel I thought maybe it was an issue of phase linking. I swapped the sweeper pump L1 & L2 leads but the same problem persists, so the RF is blinking like it works but hard wire is not the issue (by swapping I assume that I've now been on both L1/L2 and neither respond). My next thought is to swap the 2447S out on the perimeter and try again. I don't know that it would help but I also considered disconnecting both controllers and swapping the feed to see if the problem follows between the main & sweeper.

Only other issue I'm having is 3 more lights which don't control from the app. I will try to reconnect these, I know two of them are in conjunction with some switches I swapped around between rooms and still needed to delete half links (so many I deleted the link to the app). Why the one in the office I'm sitting in wont work now...

I also have a workshop. About 300+ feet away from the main panel, I installed a range extender down at the shop but it seems as though it connects only some of the time. At this distance should I have to install a secondary Insteon controller? I don't have many devices in the shop but wanted to have open/close sensors on my garage doors to know if I left them open. The extender works some of the time, though it wont seem to allow me to see the open/close sensor in line of sight about 30 feet away (when I try to install the sensor even on the bench on front of the extender it usually is found then fails to install. same goes for my one light switch I want controlled at the shop).

You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 1 photos.

Disconnect or turn off the breaker for all devices from the pool subpanel including the pump load controller except the sweeper. Can you control the sweeper?
    Message from Forum Admin: stusviews passed away in April 2018. Stu was a huge fan of Insteon and a huge presence on both the Smarthome and Insteon forums, helping thousands of us along the way (he had nearly 20,000 posts to his name). We thank him for his contributions, dedication, and passion for making the Smart Home a reality. He will truly be missed.
    Saving energy is not always free. Be a world saver.

Comment

Opened all the breakers except the sweeper boost pump. The app still does not turn the controller on, only local push button control. Tried the same test for the 2447S for the exterior lights, same thing still would not control from the app. When I click 'on' from the app I did observe that the 30A controller blinks 3 times quickly (I think 3) so it seems like it is seeing the command.

Comment

Disconnect only the load from the sweeper boost pump load controller. Can you turn the controller on/off?
        Message from Forum Admin: stusviews passed away in April 2018. Stu was a huge fan of Insteon and a huge presence on both the Smarthome and Insteon forums, helping thousands of us along the way (he had nearly 20,000 posts to his name). We thank him for his contributions, dedication, and passion for making the Smart Home a reality. He will truly be missed.
        Saving energy is not always free. Be a world saver.

Comment

I changed the wires today from the controller to the sweeper pump. During that time I had the wire disconnected from the pump, with wire nuts only installed on the ends I tried to operate the controller and it would not turn on remotely. Still operates only from local push button.

Comment

I meggered the pump motor at that time too to ensure it was good (disconnected from the controller of course), measured good on L1 & L2 to ground.

Comment

Have you tried using the controller for the pump that works remotely on the pump that won't work remotely?

Comment

Swapped them and the sweeper would run with the controller previously on the main pump, so started thinking I had a bad module. Reset it again, this time was able to delete from the app instead of forced removal. Linked it again and it worked... did the same for the pool exterior lighting and it too is working. Why it worked this time I don't get it. Will monitor to see that the pumps run each morning.

Comment

Working...
                X