Dimmer Status Lights incorrect status in n-way config when using Alexa

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dimmer Status Lights incorrect status in n-way config when using Alexa

I have a fairly large (>30) installation based on Hub (222 version) with many n-way configurations. I've got all switches correctly controlling lights for 3-way, 4-way etc and lights on associated switches reflect the correct status of the n-way switches however when I use control n-way switches via Alexa, only the switch which directs controls the load correctly reflects the status. I'm not sure what linkages I need to add to correct, or whatever other solution (thinking maybe to control via scenes instead).

Any direction would be very much appreciated.

Any time more than one Insteon device is linked to the same load, then all control must be done by controlling the scene. If you control a single device, then only that device will respond, not any of the linked devices. If that were not the case, then you may end up in a non-stop loop.
    Message from Forum Admin: stusviews passed away in April 2018. Stu was a huge fan of Insteon and a huge presence on both the Smarthome and Insteon forums, helping thousands of us along the way (he had nearly 20,000 posts to his name). We thank him for his contributions, dedication, and passion for making the Smart Home a reality. He will truly be missed.
    Saving energy is not always free. Be a world saver.

Comment

Thank you Stusviews..I appreciate your help.

Comment

I'm confused by this. Say I have 3 switches controlling 1 load. Without using the hub, I have linked the 3 switches together, so that they all control the load and their states are synchronized (i.e. everything works perfectly). Then I throw the hub (app or alexa) in the mix to turn on the switch connected to the load -- the other 2 switches don't respond at all. Why not? The hub is just telling the load switch to turn on -- it should tell the other switches in the same exact way as if it was turned on directly from the paddle itself. Why does this not happen?

Comment

Thats because you are controlling the device itself. If you want to control both devices then you need to have a scene set up in the hub with both devices in it as controllers. You would then control the scene via Alexa.

Comment

lilyoyo1 is correct. Controlling a device instead of a scene controls only that specific device, not any of it's links. To do otherwise can create an infinite loop.

You can easily test this yourself. If wired and linked correctly, then only one of the three switches is actually connected to the load. Turn on a device that's not connected to the load. That device will turn on (as indicated by the LEDs), but the load won't turn on. Nor will the other device turn on that's not wired to the load.

The solution is to only use the scene to control the light.
            Message from Forum Admin: stusviews passed away in April 2018. Stu was a huge fan of Insteon and a huge presence on both the Smarthome and Insteon forums, helping thousands of us along the way (he had nearly 20,000 posts to his name). We thank him for his contributions, dedication, and passion for making the Smart Home a reality. He will truly be missed.
            Saving energy is not always free. Be a world saver.

Comment

Working...
            X