Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wired operation only

Hi all,

I looked everywhere and can't find the answer: can INSTEON work without Wi-Fi?Just using the power line, no radio at all.

Thanks
    Chris

Insteon devices do communicate using RF, but the frequency is not near WiFi at all, so it can't inerfere nor be heard by WiFi gear.

Is there any resaon you want to turn RF off? You may lose the ability to control up to half of your installed devices.
    Message from Forum Admin: stusviews passed away in April 2018. Stu was a huge fan of Insteon and a huge presence on both the Smarthome and Insteon forums, helping thousands of us along the way (he had nearly 20,000 posts to his name). We thank him for his contributions, dedication, and passion for making the Smart Home a reality. He will truly be missed.
    Saving energy is not always free. Be a world saver.

Comment

My older I1 Insteon modules. Work fine and they are power line only signals.
      I do have a few Access Points to get the information to the other parts of the house.

WiFi may come into play if you are thinking of using a HUB as your controller.
      I have an ISY994i and it does not use anything WiFi. It can be accessed by the internet if I enable it.
      In a simple system. You can manually link modules together and use no controller.

Dual Band Insteon modules do use a 915MHz RF and power line signals. 915MHz is not WiFi as Stu has pointed out.
      Some of the newest Dual Band modules have been reported to have the option to turn off power line or RF communications.
      Last edited by BLH; 04-30-2015, 03:31 AM.

Comment

The Insteon hardware will work without Wi-Fi. The RF signal for Insteon is 915mhz. The Insteon Hub will NOT work with out Wi-Fi since the Hub uses a cloud service for maintaining accounts and device profiles. The Universal Devices ISY994 will also work with out an internet connection but does require a router since the interface to the ISY is through a internet browser, but it can work in an Ad-Hoc network setup (no internet).

Comment

Thanks for all the replies. The reason for not wanting RF is that I've got one family member who freaks out with anything Wi-Fi related (I know, don't say anything), so I'm trying to understand the options. Ideally, I'd like to be able to use RF only for few things where it makes life a lot easier (like a door sensor maybe?).

If I understand correctly, even the Insteon Hub doesn't specifically require Wi-Fi and as long as it can connect to the Internet it works. Right?

So the question now is: since RF is not centralized, does it need to be turned off at the single device level? I apologize if it doesn't make any sense.

Comment

Your TV is RF. So is your radio. Neither are WiFi. Cordless phones are RF, but they're not WiFi. Nor is Insteon WiFi. The Hub does not use WiFi. So your family member has nothing at all to be concerned about when it comes to home automation.

Currently, the only device that has the option to turn RF off is the On/Off Outlet. But, it's still not WiFi. BTW, if you have a wireless router, then you have WiFi.
            Message from Forum Admin: stusviews passed away in April 2018. Stu was a huge fan of Insteon and a huge presence on both the Smarthome and Insteon forums, helping thousands of us along the way (he had nearly 20,000 posts to his name). We thank him for his contributions, dedication, and passion for making the Smart Home a reality. He will truly be missed.

Comment

TFitzpatrick - you are correct about the Hub not having any Wi-Fi components, but the point is that it will not work without internet and Wi-Fi. The Hub always needs internet to connect to the cloud servers and the phone needs Wi-Fi for initial setup. It does not work in Ad-Hoc setups.

Comment

If you disconnect the Hub from your router, the scenes will still function. So will schedules. You don't need WiFi to setup the Hub. You do need a smartphone with internet access.

BTW, do you have a WiFi router?

Comment

I realize the RF issue is nonsense, but it's a fight with HER I want to avoid for now... for example, we don't have WiFi but still enjoy mobility as we have excellent 4G coverage. I know, don't say anything...

Thanks for all, very informative thread for me. I'll post some other unrelated questions in a new one.

Comment

I guess you're not reading the replies or you're changing the condition. The Hub is fully functional without WiFi. Also, 4g is RF. So is your TV and radio. Even your car radio. A GPS device is RF, too.

Comment

[QUOTE=stusviews;n53289]I guess you're not reading the replies or you're changing the condition. The Hub is fully functional without WiFi. Also, 4g is RF. So is your TV and radio. Even your car radio. A GPS device is RF, too.[/QUOTE]

I got it, I was just saying that she complaining about WiFi but not about 4G or anything else radio, for whatever reason...

Again thanks for the help.

Comment

Then you're OK with the Hub and Insteon. Neither use WiFi b)

Comment

Working...
                        X