Remote Access Through Two Routers in Series

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Remote Access Through Two Routers in Series

I am having some trouble setting up my 2012 Hub for remote access. A typical setup may be as follows...

Internet-->Cable Modem--> Wireless Router --> Insteon Hub

My setup is as follows

Internet--> Cable Modem--> Router (Lynksis) --> Wireless Router (Airport Extreme) --> Insteon Hub.

Currently, I am able to access the hub via any devices that are on the WiFi network. I have followed the steps for setting up Port Forwarding on each router individually, but it hasn't worked so far. Should it be setup on only one router? Is there some other setup that needs to be done?

What is the result if you connect the Hub to the Linksys router?
    Message from Forum Admin: stusviews passed away in April 2018. Stu was a huge fan of Insteon and a huge presence on both the Smarthome and Insteon forums, helping thousands of us along the way (he had nearly 20,000 posts to his name). We thank him for his contributions, dedication, and passion for making the Smart Home a reality. He will truly be missed.
    Saving energy is not always free. Be a world saver.

Comment

I have not tried that yet. That will me my next attempt

Comment

Your IPs internally are being assigned by your router...while your cable modem address range is what is exposed..... You can resolve the issue by doing an "IP passthrough" on the cable modem , which will allow the designated port be triggered. Should just be able to login to your cable modem and do such....Hope that can assist! -jon

Comment

If you lease your cable modem like I do through your ISP, you may not have access to your cable modem's configuration. The ISP (in my case Comcast) typically "provisions" the modem themselves and does not allow the home owner to access their equipment.

​Does the Airport Extreme have copper (wired) ports as well or is it just a wireless router only? I upgraded to a Netgear R6300v2 and it has both wired and wireless capabilities. If you go with a single router, setting up port forwarding is very simple. I have four (4) devices forwarded right now and can get to them all from any Internet connection anywhere.

Comment

Working...
          X