Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mini Remote RF range issue.

Hi,

I Bought a mini remote and it's not working from long distance, approx 3 meters away, when this should range to about 15 meters. i already sent it back to supplier and sent me a new one but still with the same problem. Remote it fully charge and works with 50cm range only.

Does anyone have the same issue please?

Which devices are you controlling with the Mini Remote?
    Message from Forum Admin: stusviews passed away in April 2018. Stu was a huge fan of Insteon and a huge presence on both the Smarthome and Insteon forums, helping thousands of us along the way (he had nearly 20,000 posts to his name). We thank him for his contributions, dedication, and passion for making the Smart Home a reality. He will truly be missed.
    Saving energy is not always free. Be a world saver.

Comment

micro dimmer module that seats behind the switch

Comment

The metal in the mechanical switch is interfering with the RF. Even more so if you have a metal switch box and/or switch plate. A solution is to add another dual-band device such as a [url="http://www.smarthome.com/insteon-2992-222-range-extender.html"]Range Extender[/url] or [url="http://www.smarthome.com/lamplinc-insteon-2457d2-plug-in-lamp-dimmer-module-dual-band-2-pin.html"]LampLinc[/url] or [url="http://www.smarthome.com/insteon-2635-222-on-off-module.html"]On/Off Module[/url].
        Message from Forum Admin: stusviews passed away in April 2018. Stu was a huge fan of Insteon and a huge presence on both the Smarthome and Insteon forums, helping thousands of us along the way (he had nearly 20,000 posts to his name). We thank him for his contributions, dedication, and passion for making the Smart Home a reality. He will truly be missed.

Comment

i don't think it's the case as i still have everything hanging outside the box. i am in testing phase.

Comment

[QUOTE=jmrapa;n49221]i don't think it's the case as i still have everything hanging outside the box. i am in testing phase. [/QUOTE]

If the remote can't activate a switch from that short distance you have noise issues. Either that or the micro dimmer is defective given its just hanging off the wires not in the box.

You may want to confirm if the Micro Dimmer has both RF / Power Line features enabled. As there have been several cases where new devices had firmware that allows either or both to be disabled.

The ability to turn off the RF / Power Line signal was introduced in the On/Off module, Dual Outlet. I've been told moving forward this feature will be integrated into all Insteon products. So I would check to see if its a matter that the *RF Feature* hasn't simply been turned off.
            Teken . . .

Comment

How do i check the firmware and if RF is switched ok please?

I think RF is switched on as from 0.5m - 1m this works.

Comment

[QUOTE=jmrapa;n49824]How do i check the firmware and if RF is switched ok please?

I think RF is switched on as from 0.5m - 1m this works.[/QUOTE]

Depending upon the controller the firmware is normally listed where all of your devices are in the system. Each device should have *options* in their respective menu settings which should allow you to configure these features. This assumes the RF / Power Line option is there if not by default it will transmit both via RF & Power Line.

What is the load you're trying to turn on and off? If the load turns on fine but does not turn off or is inconsistent. Often times its a load that is either incompatible or placing noise on the line. To prove this simply remove the existing load and replace it with a incandescent bulb. If it works fine you know you need to change the load to something else.

If changing the load to a incandescent bulb does not resolve the issue. The next step (well it should have been the first step) is to confirm proper coupling / bridging of your Insteon network. The 4 tap (Beacon) test is outlined in the full users manual for most *dual band* devices so please review those sections about how to interpret the colour and blinking LED lights.
                Teken . . .

Comment

If you are not using a controller to set things up and are directly linking the two devices. Let us know.

Comment

yep i have a controller

Comment

What are you using to create scenes/links?

Comment

I tried using the hub and also manually but still same problem. The problem is the range of the micro dimmers as since i have niw added the hub, range is much better although it's still not 15m but at least 3m is better.

I contacted insteon and they stated that it has to do with humidty, which i don't think it's the case as i have added a humidifier and problem still persists.

Comment

I see no where that you followed any of the steps I outlined above.
                          Teken . . .

Comment

@ teken, sorry i forgot to reply about your reply. So the load is not much, i have 5 LED 6.8w dimmable leds.

I have no inconsistency in lighting and with the current setup all lights a working fine. I still have to check the firmware thingy as i didn't check yet.

And other issue i an encountering is that i have two switches near each other, both with micro dimmers installed, and of the switches, when switched on, it switched both loads to on. I check all wiring and all seems to be good.

Comment

1. Remove the LED bulbs and replace them with normal incandescent lights report back if the Mini remote operates better and further.

2. Confirm proper bridging / coupling via the 4 tap (beacon) test outlined in most of the full users manuals for dual band devices.

3. Verify the RF portion of the Micro Dimmer / Relay is turned on. This assumes the device has this option at all because newer devices have been given this option in their firmware.

4. Last but not least have you confirmed there are no noise makers / signal suckers on this circuit?? Keep in mind those LED's could very well be the culprit in the lack of signal.
                              Teken . . .

Comment

Working...
                              X