Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cross reference for which device for a purpose?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cross reference for which device for a purpose?

I am new to Insteon and home automation. I need some help understanding what devices work for what purposes. Is there a cross reference available? I am looking for a few applications right now: 1) turn on/off water heater at my vacation home (have a hub, thermostat and lamp there now); 2) turn on/off a hot water recirculator from a switch, ideally with a countdown timer so it is not left on continuously; 3) turn on/off radiant floor heat remotely. Any help is appreciated.

1. This [url="http://www.smarthome.com/220v-240v-30-amp-insteon-2477sa2-load-controller-normally-closed-relay-dual-band.html"]Insteon Load Controller[/url] can be used to control electric water heaters.

2.An [url="http://www.smarthome.com/switchlinc-on-off-insteon-2477s-remote-control-switch-dual-band-white.html"]On/Off switch[/url] is the appropriate device for a hot water recirculation pump. You can use the Hub schedule the switch, but you'll need additional software and/or hardware for a countdown timer.

3. An [url="http://www.smarthome.com/aube-rc840t-240-on-off-switching-electric-heating-relay-with-built-in-24-v-transformer.html']Aube relay[/url] will allow you to use any standard thermostat with 220/240V heating.
    Message from Forum Admin: stusviews passed away in April 2018. Stu was a huge fan of Insteon and a huge presence on both the Smarthome and Insteon forums, helping thousands of us along the way (he had nearly 20,000 posts to his name). We thank him for his contributions, dedication, and passion for making the Smart Home a reality. He will truly be missed.
    Saving energy is not always free. Be a world saver.

Comment

I appreciate your quick reply. A few followup questions:
      1) my water heater has a 3-prong 110v plug. Could I just use one of the 3-prong non-dimming outlet?
      2) the product link is for a wall switch. Currently the recirculation pump has a built-in timer as well as on/off settings. It has a 3-prong plug. My objective is to recirculate just prior to showers rather than running the pump on its timer (our shower schedule varies). With the wall switch, what is the pump plugged into? Do I have to fish a wire to the bathroom and hardwire the pump to the switch you suggested?
      3) My floor heat is 110v and using a Honeywell TH115-AF-GA thermostat. Two questions: does the product you suggest work with that thermostat? is there a way I can remotely control the floor temp? (First objective is simple on/off, to prevent scenario where I leave my cabin, turn heat to 50 and forget to turn the floor temp down, thus having the floor run constantly trying to bring the cabin temp up.)

Comment

1. Yes

2. I suggested that switch because you requested a switch. I use an OutletLinc to control our hot water recirculation pump, but you can use any Insteon On/Off or Appliance device.

3. The relay is not remote controllable. You would connect the relay to a remote controllable thermostat, such as the Insteon 2441TH. In any case, if the heating is 110V, then the appropriate relay is an Aube RC840T-120.
        Message from Forum Admin: stusviews passed away in April 2018. Stu was a huge fan of Insteon and a huge presence on both the Smarthome and Insteon forums, helping thousands of us along the way (he had nearly 20,000 posts to his name). We thank him for his contributions, dedication, and passion for making the Smart Home a reality. He will truly be missed.
        Saving energy is not always free. Be a world saver.

Comment

thanks much!

Comment

Working...
          X