Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Factory reset vs local programming lock - Priority?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Factory reset vs local programming lock - Priority?

I have a few OutletLincs that I've been unable to have accept a factory reset. They are new devices that I had factory reset before so they worked at one time. I just realized that I had set the local programming lock on these (and most of my) devices, to prevent family members from inadvertently changing the device settings.

I was assuming that the factory reset process (using the local set switch) would override all settings, including the local programming lock. Am I incorrect? Does local programming lock trump a factory reset?

I would expect a factory reset to reset everything. What's the result if you unset programming lock?
    Message from Forum Admin: stusviews passed away in April 2018. Stu was a huge fan of Insteon and a huge presence on both the Smarthome and Insteon forums, helping thousands of us along the way (he had nearly 20,000 posts to his name). We thank him for his contributions, dedication, and passion for making the Smart Home a reality. He will truly be missed.
    Saving energy is not always free. Be a world saver.

Comment

I wanted to understand this but didn't want to unlink and reset a currently working device. I bit the bullet and did so this morning.

It appears that the local programming lock does have priority. After unlocking the device, and removing it from my controller (Hub II), I was able to reset it. After re-adding, I set the local lock, deleted the device from the Hub, and tried a reset. It will no longer reset.

In hindsight, I guess this makes sense. It appears that the local programming lock flag disables the local set button. Once set to lock, pushing on the set button does nothing.

Probably a way in the corner case, but it does make me wonder how you would reset a device that you could no longer load in the app to unlock the programming.

Comment

How did you reset the 2457D2? I have arrived at the same conclusion about local program but even with the magic flow chart, I have one 2457D2 that turns on at 6:30 AM every day. The only way to stop it is to pull it from the wall until 6:35. I would really like to see a factory reset work on this box. I push the square button once and I get a blinking green. I push it again and get a blinking red. I tap it and get a fast red blink. I tap it again and get a solid red. What is the next step? Thanks.

Comment

Mine didn't follow the magic flow chart and followed the older factory reset procedure.
          Try unplugging it for ten or more seconds. Then plug it back in while holding the Set Button. It will start beeping. Keep holding the Set Button until the beeping stops. Release the Set Button.

Comment

Thanks. I thought that this did the trick but I was wrong. In the past when I plugged in the 2457 it turned on a light at 6:30 AM before I even added the device to my hub. After your procedure, I plugged in the 2457 and the light did not come on in the morning. So I added the device to my account. Now the light comes on at 6:00 AM goes off at sunrise - about 6:07 right now and then turns on at 6:30 again. I can't find anyplace where this light is told to fire up at 6:30 and now I am going to remove the device from my account and leave it plugged into the wall just to see if that can stop the 6:30 on time. It is like this 2457 has a mind of its own.

BTW is there any way to insure that I can find this thread again? I forgot where I was when I wrote the first question and had to look all over the place to thank you for the help.

Comment

Working...
            X